Estonian Osprey Nest (Marko & Miina) 2020

Floppy Fish

Re: Estonian Osprey Nest (Marko & Miina) 2020

Post by Floppy Fish »

The timbre of the bird call sounds to me like a chopped-up blue jay (except those only exist the wild on a different continent...)

I'd say it's a jay trying to mimic a goshawk!

https://www.xeno-canto.org/406042
Cessie

Post by Cessie »

pazi wrote: July 13th, 2020, 9:43 pm I think information about failed nestings is just as valuable to the ornithologists, if not even more so than when everything goes smoothly.
It is sometimes hard to watch, but that's the way it goes.
I agree, Pazi, the nest cameras have helped the ornithologists, and have helped us curious regular people, be better informed of bird life. Which in turn we share information and education, with other people. This is all true and I don’t dispute.
But if we are only speaking of this particular nest I will say that as far as I understand it is located near a fish farm, where the eagle club, secured special privileges for the Ospreys. As we know that under normal circumstances the Ospreys would not be allowed to catch fish at these types of businesses. It’s possible that there’s a river or natural ponds, close by, where the Ospreys can fish freely. I that might be true. I’m not disputing or looking back at info regarding this nest.
I am not an authority and do not make decisions for nestcam locations. :book:
vainamoinen

Post by vainamoinen »

mogga wrote: July 13th, 2020, 7:47 pm sova :wave:

I don't know, I have to ask my experts, wait a minute... :whistling: :laugh:

This is not a goshawk for sure. One of Woodpecker. I can't affirm species definitely.
pazi

Post by pazi »

Cessie wrote: July 14th, 2020, 1:39 am But if we are only speaking of this particular nest I will say that as far as I understand it is located near a fish farm, where the eagle club, secured special privileges for the Ospreys. As we know that under normal circumstances the Ospreys would not be allowed to catch fish at these types of businesses.
I see your point. It's not a "natural" place compared to an untouched forest. But then again, if there already was a nest before the platform and camera were put up, it's fundamentally an osprey-chosen location, just not in pristine wilderness.

Incidentally, there's a similar place you describe not far from where I live. Back in my youth (way back when) it used to be an artificial fishing pond (edit: take that back, the pond itself dates back to beginning of 1600 at least, created by land rising and water flow changing as a result, but is accompanied by man-made pools) where you could go catch rainbow trouts, pay by the weight and maybe have them even smoked for you on the spot.

There's still a restaurant, and I suppose fishing is still a possibility, but it's mainly turned into an osprey center now. I should visit. It's been way too long since the last time I was there. I don't think they have webcams.
https://www.saaksisaatio.fi/en/osprey-center

My friend has taken photos of the birds there:
https://sss.kuvat.fi/kuvat/S%C3%A4%C3%A4ksi/
Floppy Fish

Post by Floppy Fish »

Now I think it actually might have been a great spotted woodpecker that made those calls.

https://www.xeno-canto.org/518928
https://www.xeno-canto.org/535696
mogga

Post by mogga »

vainamoinen wrote: July 14th, 2020, 6:40 am This is not a goshawk for sure. One of Woodpecker. I can't affirm species definitely.
Yeah, that's definitely not a goshawk. It's one of the woodpeckers.

My experts have continued their discussions last night and today and have come to the conclusion it is a white-backed woodpecker (Dendrocopos leucotos).

I suppose that's true, I myself am not experienced enough to hear that... :laugh:
Polly

Post by Polly »

:hi:

That woodpecker ... one day he'll drive me crazy. :rotf: Even in the WTE nest, he constantly confused me. Woodpeckers seem to be good imitators. By the way ... our local starlings can call falcons too. ;)
At least I wasn't entirely wrong with the alarm.

Many thanks to all of you!
"Throw your heart across the river and swim after it."
Indian proverb
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

Cessie wrote: July 12th, 2020, 5:49 am Yep, floppy fish, what needs to be done is to have the camera moved to a different nest platform where there are successful fledges and not all of this drama and chicks being preyed on. Right! I hope that you agree.
:wave:
Cessie, I think, definitely not everyone would agree on that.
In my opinion, this is a great chance that online stream gives us - to see nature as it is.

Even though we are humans and get emotional/attached to birds, I think, not everyone would want to see only certain parts of the nature or some "half-truths". It is a value to watch Nature more pragmatically - simply observing the whole picture of it.

What value does the bird watching have, if we want the online-cameras to only show us the lovely, nice, peaceful, successful parts with "happy" chicks, and if we demand to relocate the camera/take it down when some kind of aggression, tragedy, violence or death etc. occurs?
Or even worse, demand that those birds, whom we blame for this drama, are locked up?

Certainly, Nature does not only consist of success stories - it is far more often full of tragedies, such as this one. Difficult as it may be to watch sometimes, it is also very interesting, educating and valuable to observe such events.

I think, if we want to watch Nature, we should watch all of it as it is.
Cessie

Post by Cessie »

Sunshine, no one is demanding anything.
Any decisions are made by the Eagle Club.

I agreed with what, mogga, wrote a few days ago, and Rita, also agreed. But we have no say in the matter. It’s just discussion.
Cessie

Post by Cessie »

:wave: Pazi, wow, that must have been so much fun, fishing in the pond. The smoked fish sounds delicious. Wonderful of them to turn the place into an Osprey Center! :thumbs:
I will check out your links, thank you.

We had a vacation mountain home, in a forest, with our own stocked lake when I was a kid. I have real memories of Bald Eagles, fishing the lake, and very vague memories of what were possibly, Ospreys. :puzzled: I can’t say for sure.
sova

Post by sova »

15. Juli

good evening

We haven't seen Marko for 11 days and Miina for 4 days and now 6 days.
Where are the two? Is Marko still alive? ... :unsure:

21:21 / 22/23 - someone clears the forest / break branches ... someone is under the nest
does someone climb the nest?

21:25 - nothing more to hear / yet, call cranes :D
21:28 - you can hear it again

21:37 - everything calm again .... a nice good night picture (as usual) :rolleyes:
sova

Post by sova »

16. Juli

Good morning to all :hi:

09:57 - the strange couple is back (first came males, then the females)

female is very beautiful :nod:
sova

Post by sova »

10:00 - she flew away

10:01 - he flew away
pazi

Post by pazi »

Cessie wrote: July 14th, 2020, 10:39 pm :wave: Pazi, wow, that must have been so much fun, fishing in the pond.
It was exciting! I was a small kid and went with grandpa. The fishing happened with simple hook and line with dough as bait. Having fished only something like perches before the salmon trout felt like a whale when it struck.
We had a vacation mountain home, in a forest, with our own stocked lake when I was a kid. I have real memories of Bald Eagles, fishing the lake, and very vague memories of what were possibly, Ospreys.
This brought back another, more forum-relevant memory. I used to walk in the woods a lot as a kid. A few kms from my home between two forest lakes was an osprey nest in a big pine on top of a stony hill, or almost a rock. I used to climb to thrush nests all the time, so naturally I climbed the tree. :blush:
I don't think there was anyone home at the time, and the nest was so large I couldn't get around the rim to take a look inside. Other times, other years I would see the bird in the sky from far, but never caught it fishing.

Edit: sova, wonderful pics, thank you. Didn't yet see them as I replied to Cessie from previous page.
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

Good morning sova, :wave:
thank you for the beautiful pictures. Maybe this new couple will nest next year.
Right now you hear a lot of noises, sounds like battle tanks from the near air base. There also must be a freeway nearby.
We'll never know what has been happening to Marko. I wish Miina and Marko in good health, but they are probably still under shock of the terrible way they lost their chicks.
sova

Post by sova »

Jenny, pazi :hi:
sova

Post by sova »

today we also had two * other * visitors :D

IceAge

Post by IceAge »

16:56
A visitor
*Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.* Albert Einstein
sova

Post by sova »

16:56 - whoops .... who are you ??? :shock: red ring with numbers 766

sova

Post by sova »

the 766 was in a hurry, was it chased?

17:02 - Osprey chirps in the forest

17:03

someone keeps chirping in the forest
17:08 - still

17: 10/11/12 - a wild animal / bird .... no idea what that is?

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”