Estonian Osprey Nest (Ivo & Iiris) 2020

Summi

Re: Estonian Osprey Nest (Ivo & Iiris) 2020

Post by Summi »

The new "pattern of behavior" in the Iiris-Ivo family:

19:47 Ivo has a fish with head, tries to fly silently somewhere to enjoy eating of the head but Iiris starts to vocalize in a not so gentle voice any more and poor Ivo has to turn around and give the fish to Iiris. When there's a half of fish, Iiris carries it in her claws but the whole fish is usually in her beak. :laugh: :D :thumbs:
This fish seems to be a roach too.

Seira, thank you for your opinion. :wave:
seira

Post by seira »

Summi wrote: May 18th, 2020, 8:08 pm 19:47 Ivo has a fish with head, tries to fly silently somewhere to enjoy eating of the head but Iiris starts to vocalize in a not so gentle voice any more and poor Ivo has to turn around and give the fish to Iiris. When there's a half of fish, Iiris carries it in her claws but the whole fish is usually in her beak. :laugh: :D :thumbs:
This fish seems to be a roach too.
19:47 big fish, Ivo just ate a little head
Iiris away with fish... looks like a Carp ?

Summi :2thumbsup:
seira

Post by seira »

19:48 our silly boy :D
Summi

Post by Summi »

21:04 Ivo gets a glimpse of Iiris approaching and takes off quickly so that he could get himself fish before it's dark.

21:40 Ivo didn't eat the whole fish and brings only the fish tail part to Iiris for supper so that she wouldn't gain weight. It's very considerate of Ivo. :laugh:

Seira :thumbs:
Summi

Post by Summi »

22:02 Iiris is back from supper
22:03 She asks Darling, don't you want to stretch your legs?

So both side by side enjoy the beautiful surroundings and birdsong. :D

22:06 Ivo refuses to leave, Iiris takes off
22:19 Iiris comes again and finally Ivo leaves so that Iiris can take over the night shift

Good night! :offtobed:
na_pena

Post by na_pena »

19. May

Date added for better overview/Bea

Beautiful foggy morning at 4:09am :loveshower:

Ivo flies around the nest, sits on the dead tree for a minute and comes back nesting at 4:31am

“Always seeing something, never seeing nothing, being photographer”
― Walter De Mulder
Gavril

Post by Gavril »

Jenny wrote: May 18th, 2020, 8:34 am Good morning Sunshine,
thank you so much for your answer. Ivar is the Osprey in my picture here in looduskalender and he will always have a special place in my heart. Maybe one day we'll find out, on hand of his identifacation ring, where he is located. I know that this is fruitless searching, but I'll never give up hope.
Wish you a nice day
Hello! Thank you ALL for the reports, pictures, interesting kind comments and opinions about what is happening in this nest! :2thumbsup:
Jenny! I understand You very well! In my heart, too, there is a place for little Nori, chick Piret and Madis of the 2012 season. Despite the fact that it has been almost 8 years, I hope to hear or see something about baby Nori one day! :rolleyes: Every time an unknown osprey appears over the nest of Marko and Miina, my heart shudders - could it be Nori? :innocent:
Summi

Post by Summi »

Good morning :hi:

08:51 industrious Ivo flies in with a really thick stick, seems even too heavy for him
08:52 he tries to put it in the right place and what? yes, puts one end of it on Iiris and steps where? yes, on Iiris :slap:
08:53 no wonder Iiris loses her patience, stands up and leaves, Ivo lies down

Iiris dares to come back later and replaces Ivo;
10:09 at last Ivo succeeds in placing the stick in its proper place :2thumbsup:

na_pena, thank you for the early morning pictures :wave:
Gavril :wave:
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

May 19, 2020 10:47 Estonia time
Good morning Osprey friends,
the pictures you made of our two ospreys are sensational, also the comments are very refreshing.
I feel the same way, dear Gavril, every time a unknown Osprey is in the air and comes near the nest, my heart is pounding, could it be Ivar?
I didn't know I could have such feelings for Ospreys, but when you observe them hatch from their eggs, being fed by their mom and dad, always trying to catch the biggest piece of fish. When the times come, ready to leave the nest to go on a long dangerous journey. All of these chicks have become a big part of our lives and they are firmly anchored in our hearts. And all of them have the best parents they can wish for, former Irma, now for 2 years Iiris and Ivo (the best Osprey father).
Ivo, who was protecting the eggs is leaving the nest and Iiris takes over
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

Summi wrote: May 18th, 2020, 11:05 am Not only hiding but peeking the event from under his tail. :whistling:
Jenny, thank you for the pictures. :wave:
:laugh: Summi, I had watched Iiris peep out from under Ivo's feathers to watch what was going on.
Summi

Post by Summi »

Jenny, I totally agree with every word in your post. :wave:

But I must admit that after having watched for 4 years black stork cams, in 2012 when I saw Madis nestworking, the first thought was - they are so different, I'm not going to watch but in a couple of days it was already difficult to get away from Madis and Piret nestcam. :nod:
seira

Post by seira »

:hi:

11:36-11:37 an osprey(female?)landing on the nest with alive fish
I think Ivo on the cam
Summi

Post by Summi »

It seems to have been a male osprey without rings in the submissive posture and Iiris only gently chirping with her look at the alive fish. Could anyone make a video of it, please.

Maybe it was a lesson to Ivo to bring more fish and not only sticks. :whistling:
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

Summi wrote: May 19th, 2020, 11:39 am Jenny, I totally agree with every word in your post. :wave:

But I must admit that after having watched for 4 years black stork cams, in 2012 when I saw Madis nestworking, the first thought was - they are so different, I'm not going to watch but in a couple of days it was already difficult to get away from Madis and Piret nestcam. :nod:
Dear Summi, I used to look at the Merikotkas, but observing what they have done with the weakest baby (that's natural for them) I couldn't watch anymore and was just weeping. Above all, when the other siblings tried to protect it from killing. So I just concentrate on Ospreys.
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

Ivo cam back to do some nest working
One last loving look at Iiris and off he goes to the dead tree
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

12:19 PM
Ivo's short stay at the dead tree, Iiris calls him back because she is hungry. Shift change.
Gavril

Post by Gavril »

Summi wrote: May 19th, 2020, 11:52 am It seems to have been a male osprey without rings in the submissive posture and Iiris only gently chirping with her look at the alive fish. Could anyone make a video of it, please.

Maybe it was a lesson to Ivo to bring more fish and not only sticks. :whistling:
:hi:
:D
Summi

Post by Summi »

Gavril, thank you so much. :wave: :thumbs:

Iiris seemed quite calm, only the osprey's wing was disturbing her brooding. :laugh:
Summi

Post by Summi »

Ivo learned the lesson, but only a half of it:

11:47 Ivo flies in with a small twig to check on Iiris
11:48:06 Ivo looks very attentively down on Iiris whether she's O.K. and then flies on the camstand
11:54 Ivo takes off

12:15 Ivo in again wondering what Iiris is asking for :puzzled:, she raised her voice but with no outcome
12:16 Iiris sighs and flies self-catering, Ivo does what he likes most - brooding! :mrgreen:
seira

Post by seira »

seira wrote: May 19th, 2020, 11:44 am 11:36-11:37 an osprey(female?)landing on the nest with alive fish
I think Ivo on the cam
Gavril wrote: May 19th, 2020, 1:01 pm https://youtu.be/ebh5ZlWSnm0
11:36 fish delivery from visitor ? !

Iiris checking

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”