Estonian Osprey Nest (Ivo & Iiris) 2020

Jenny

Re: Estonian Osprey Nest (Ivo & Iiris) 2020

Post by Jenny »

Triin wrote: July 4th, 2020, 4:27 pm Yes, I am that "funny chap" responsible for private video. :blush: I saw no point keeping open the recording of the stream that YT terminated. The new stream will have a different URL. Please be patient as we cannot restore the old one. We need our tech-guy Omar to open a new livestream.
Thank you Triin, that's a word and now we know whats going on. I thought we're going to see a private dancer when we log in :laugh: . I'll be patient.
Heike

Post by Heike »

Triin wrote: July 4th, 2020, 4:27 pm Yes, I am that "funny chap" responsible for private video. :blush: I saw no point keeping open the recording of the stream that YT terminated. The new stream will have a different URL. Please be patient as we cannot restore the old one. We need our tech-guy Omar to open a new livestream.
And please let your tech-guy look for the other Osprey stream too. It stopped at 14:06. Thank you.
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

Thank you for the correction, Treen! :wave: good to know. It differs then a bit in Latvia, but i would need to write to Jānis Ķuze to get a more accurate information.
Summi

Post by Summi »

Triin, thank you for keeping our hope up.:thumbs: Our warm greetings to tech-guy Omar! :wave:
Sometimes it's difficult to keep to the usual Looduskalender saying "Be patient."
When we are sure that someone is dealing with the problem, it's easier. :rolleyes:

Greetings to all who are patiently waiting for a new URL to start. :wave:
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

:hi:

Let us hope we will see osprets still this season :2thumbsup: .

The devastating destiny of the neighbor nest makes one think over is it worth following the cruel nature - our human feelings are challenged by that kind of outcome :cry: :cry: :cry:
Jojo

Post by Jojo »

Owlie wrote: July 4th, 2020, 9:12 pm :hi:

Let us hope we will see osprets still this season :2thumbsup: .

The devastating destiny of the neighbor nest makes one think over is it worth following the cruel nature - our human feelings are challenged by that kind of outcome :cry: :cry:
I agree with you Owlie.
I have followed the two Estonian Osprey nests and the Latvia Osprey nest every day for many years.
We know that this is nature, but we wait for them to arrive, we rejoice when we see them, we celebrate the eggs and delight over the growing chicks. We form ahuman bond.
Nature is objective , but we are subjective and it hurts to watch the osprets being born just to become Goshawk food again and again.

Can next year be any different? I do not think so. In these conditions the nests are no longer watchable for me.

All hope is pinned on Ivo and Iiris Osprets now. I hope and hope that at least this one nest will continue to be successful.
:chick:
Summi

Post by Summi »

The empty nest in Võrumaa :cry: makes the longing to see at least Iiris, Ivo and the chicks much greater. :nod:
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

:hi:

I hope this nestcam will be repaired and cleaned soon.

For me personally it is comforting to follow a Bald Eagle nest in Florida (I have followed since 2013, as long as this osprey nest). Many tragedies has happend there as well, a father died, an eaglet was in hospital twice for human and owl caused accidents, some eaglets have passed away as very young, latest in the beginning of this year: a chick in one month age died because of rodenticid poisoned food. - BUT: the parents tried again and gave birth to two chicks of the second clutch for this season and these two have just fledged and enjoy experiencing the world outside their nest. I recommend: https://www.swfleaglecam.com/eagle-feed.html

viewtopic.php?f=84&t=797
zuza

Post by zuza »

Triin wrote: July 4th, 2020, 4:13 pm Actually very few (if any) artificial nest are built in Estonia nowadays. We maintain the old ones, but most of the people working with eagles in Estonia agree that there is no need to build a lot of new nests at the moment.
unclear. The osprey is a protected endangered species, but do not need to build nests? enough natural places? but we constantly see attempts by other osprey to take the nest from our couples. and maybe Marco and Miina would choose a safer place. instead of losing chicks every year. but ospreys cling to their nests, because this deficit.
Triin

Post by Triin »

zuza wrote: July 5th, 2020, 10:32 am unclear. The osprey is a protected endangered species, but do not need to build nests? enough natural places? but we constantly see attempts by other osprey to take the nest from our couples. and maybe Marco and Miina would choose a safer place. instead of losing chicks every year. but ospreys cling to their nests, because this deficit.
Why we don't build huge numbers of artificial nests in Estonia?

Artificial nests are a temporary measure to overcome the lack of suitable nesting trees. This may seem wrong as ospreys tend to breed better in artificial nest, but in the long run the goal cannot be that the species' is dependente on any artificial measure. Building artificial nest may inhibit the ability of the ospreys to choose a good nestsite or encourage them to adopt artificial forms (e.g. powerlines, which is a dangerous place for breeding). Better solution is, if possible, remove some top branches from the tree, so that the osprey can build a nest there itself. Also, this approach to artificial nest building is partly possible due to the fact that during clearcutting a few trees have to be left uncut by law, which increase the opportunities for ospreys in the future.

The productivity (number od chicks per breeding pair) of the Estonian osprey population in the 1990s was twice as high as what scientists believe ensures the survival of the species and the number of breeding pairs has been increasing since (5 breeding pairs in 1985, 50-55 breeding pairs in 2005 and 90-100 breeding pairs today). Productivity has stabilized in recent years. In the long run, the aim is 125 breeding pairs. We had 25 artificial nests in 2019, but we try to gradually reduce the osprey's 'dependence' on them.
Bea

Post by Bea »

☼ ☼ ☼

I am remembering one more contribution from 2018 about this topic, but about White tailed Eagle nesting and building artificial nests for them

viewtopic.php?p=593159#p593159
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Sophie

Post by Sophie »

Oh no - all this happened when I was on holiday :cry:
I still have my danish nest to follow - I'll share the link:

https://stream.webstream.dk/naturstyrelsen/
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

:hi: Sophie

we all are very sorry for the Vörunmaa nest destiny, it is painful to follow the nest with such experiences from several years.

The Danish osprey nest is nice to see, I have watched now and then (as it was informed at WTE DOF page earlier in the season) :D

There are also several Finnish osprey cam nests with succes this year (only the old cam nest in Seili archipelago lost all three eggs to a crow within an hour earlier in this season): http://www.luotio.com/forum/

Here a three chicks' osprey cam nest under WTE name: http://albicilla.info/saaksi-live/
At this nest a fisherman helps the family with fishing, he throws so big fish in the water that the seagulls cannot carry them and so the osprey male can pick up them by his boat and carry them to the family. The ospreys recognise the fisherman's boat sound and are aware of the opportunities. I think it is not interfering but support ... This nest is also under control of some activists under the most vulnerable time of nesting and they advice boating people who approach too near the nest to avoid disturbance.

Find comfort from the so far successful nests! :wave:
Cessie

Post by Cessie »

Patiently waiting for the camera to return.
:help:
Thank you, Triin. :thumbs:

Owlie, thank you, for the info about the Osprey nest, and fisherman. :thumbs:

Yes, this season has been very difficult to watch our favorite Osprey nests. :cry:
It slams your gut. Your heart breaks, for yourself, and more so for Teo & Vita, and Marko & Miina, that lost their precious chicks. :cry:
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

Thank you very much, Triin, for this detailed and very useful-to-know explanation! :wave:
aquiline

Post by aquiline »

Owlie wrote: July 5th, 2020, 5:43 pm

Here a three chicks' osprey cam nest under WTE name: http://albicilla.info/saaksi-live/
At this nest a fisherman helps the family with fishing, he throws so big fish in the water that the seagulls cannot carry them and so the osprey male can pick up them by his boat and carry them to the family. The ospreys recognise the fisherman's boat sound and are aware of the opportunities. I think it is not interfering but support ... This nest is also under control of some activists under the most vulnerable time of nesting and they advice boating people who approach too near the nest to avoid disturbance.

Find comfort from the so far successful nests! :wave:
Thank you so much, Owlie :wave:
It is good to read this info and to see the chicks in their nest.

luotio Forum ist connected with "us". Is is funny to see our Ivo-Pictures and reading comments of totally different users :mrgreen:
Triin

Post by Triin »

The livestream isn't working correctly and not yet public, but the picture is as foggy as before. Adult is in the nest.
Triin

Post by Triin »

Heike

Post by Heike »

Triin wrote: July 6th, 2020, 10:52 am The new livestream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIhCVX7N_80
Thank you, Triin :hi:
annette

Post by annette »

Thanks for the new livestream.
Unfortunately, you can hardly see anything, but I don't hear any chicks either.
I hope very much that the hawk wasn't here too.

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”