Estonian Osprey Nest (Ivo & Iiris) 2021

Sappheira

Re: Estonian Osprey Nest (Ivo & Iiris) 2021

Post by Sappheira »

22:22
The last fish was today at 20:10. Neither Ivo nor Iiris appeared on the nest again. Iiris was active in the morning, brought many branches, but then she was no longer visible.
The chicks ate twice each, but # 1 got half the fish, which is one fish per day. Perhaps the time is coming when the chicks will start to fish themselves.
We'll see tomorrow. And now everyone, good night. :offtobed:

Sirage

Post by Sirage »

We have very bad year in Finland. Tonight Myy, the only chick, was taken (nestcam #3 satakunnan sääkset) from the nest while sleeping (00.34.15). You couldn't see clearly what predator it was but can it be anything else than Eurasian eagle owl? :cry: Same thing happened as last year. Myy has been flying for two days and I thought that she's safe. No alerts from parents. You could clearly hear some kind of rustle on the ground under the tree. Might be that the owl killed Myy on the ground. I'm heartbroken :cry: :cry:
I hope chicks in this nest stay alive and fly to Afrika. Seems that you can never think that chicks are safe tough they can already fly.

Edit. That Eagle owl came back to nest 02.06 and sat there for few mins. Parents didn't try to drive it away and didn't alarm at all. It's really quiet around the nest. We are still hoping that Myy was too big for owl and dropped it and Myy might still be alive on the ground. Why else would owl come back to nest? Fingers crossed.

Edit. We got a miracle :loveshower: Myy came back to nest at 8.01. Owl didn't get her. (I had to sleep a little and I just found out)
Gavril

Post by Gavril »

July 31. Good morning! Thank you for the reports and beautiful captures, Sappheira! 4:44. #2 (?) flew into the nest. The second osprey almost immediately flew to the old tree. #2 begs for fish. 4:50. The osprey from the old tree flew away. 4:52. #2 flew out of the nest. The sparrowhawk's voice was heard in the distance. 4:54. Chick #1 (?) flew into the nest for a couple of minutes.

Sirage! It is sad that even flying chicks can become a victim of a more agile predator. :bow:
Gavril

Post by Gavril »

5: 17. A bird flew from the forest to an old tree on the left. This was loudly reported by the cedar tree (?). It seemed to me that a sparrowhawk had arrived. 5: 26. An osprey landed on an old tree.
Soon she flew down from the old tree. Her voice is heard near the nest. 5:30. #1 flew in from the forest.
Gavril

Post by Gavril »

#1?
Gavril

Post by Gavril »

5: 35. #1 got excited. Ivo is flying with fresh fish. Immediately #3 landed in the nest (?). Ivo quickly retreated, leaving the fish. #1 took the fish. The chicks became alert. Vranovs are making noise in the forest.

Gavril

Post by Gavril »

5: 35. Someone is flying. #1 even decided to hide the fish. 5: 38. Finally, #1 started cutting fish for envy #3.

Gavril

Post by Gavril »

5: 40. #1 took the fish away, disappointing #3. After looking for some crumbs and not finding anything fishy, #3 is waiting...

Gavril

Post by Gavril »

6:00. #3 flew out of the nest. There are 2 ospreys talking in the forest. A minute later he returned and immediately flew to the nest #2. They beg for fish. 6: 04. #2 jumped up somewhere.

:wave:
sova

Post by sova »

Sirage wrote: July 31st, 2021, 1:37 am We have very bad year in Finland.
Good morning to all :hi:
Sirage...the little one survived :loveshower:

:hi: Neighbor , Gavril
zuza

Post by zuza »

Sirage wrote: July 31st, 2021, 1:37 am We have very bad year in Finland. Tonight Myy, the only chick, was taken (nestcam #3 satakunnan sääkset) from the nest while sleeping (00.34.15). You couldn't see clearly what predator it was but can it be anything else than Eurasian eagle owl? :cry: Same thing happened as last year. Myy has been flying for two days and I thought that she's safe. No alerts from parents. You could clearly hear some kind of rustle on the ground under the tree. Might be that the owl killed Myy on the ground. I'm heartbroken :cry: :cry:
I hope chicks in this nest stay alive and fly to Afrika. Seems that you can never think that chicks are safe tough they can already fly.

Edit. That Eagle owl came back to nest 02.06 and sat there for few mins. Parents didn't try to drive it away and didn't alarm at all. It's really quiet around the nest. We are still hoping that Myy was too big for owl and dropped it and Myy might still be alive on the ground. Why else would owl come back to nest? Fingers crossed.
owls fly absolutely silently. nobody can hear them. therefore, their attack is always unexpected for the birds. and at night, if the bird is asleep, it will not even see that the owl has sat in the nest. a very sad year for osprey all over the world. the greater the joy for those who managed to raise their chicks this year.
asteria

Post by asteria »

Sirage wrote: July 31st, 2021, 1:37 am We have very bad year in Finland. Tonight Myy, the only chick, was taken (nestcam #3 satakunnan sääkset) from the nest while sleeping (00.34.15). You couldn't see clearly what predator it was but can it be anything else than Eurasian eagle owl? :cry: Same thing happened as last year. Myy has been flying for two days and I thought that she's safe. No alerts from parents. You could clearly hear some kind of rustle on the ground under the tree. Might be that the owl killed Myy on the ground. I'm heartbroken :cry: :cry:

:hi: everybody
Right now(9.03 a.m.) Myy is having breakfast in the nest. :loveshower: A fledged bird does have a chance to fly away.
Sappheira

Post by Sappheira »

Sirage wrote: July 31st, 2021, 1:37 am We have very bad year in Finland.
Sirage
It's very hard to read such news, I hope the chick will return to the nest.
Sappheira

Post by Sappheira »

sova, asteria :thumbs:
OMG, thanks for this new update, I hope the chick will no longer be attacked and will safely fly to Africa.
Wow, what a morning, with tears of sadness and joy.
Sappheira

Post by Sappheira »

Greetings to everyone who was here :wave:
who brought great news about the Finnish osprey chick, fingers crossed for the season to end without losses. :bow:
Sappheira

Post by Sappheira »

6:52
Iiris flew to the nest with a bundle of wet straw.

# 2 and # 3 flew to her.

Sappheira

Post by Sappheira »

6:55
Ivo brought the fish, much to the delight of the chicks.

# 3 without wasting a second snatched the fish out of his claws.

asteria

Post by asteria »

Sappheira wrote: July 31st, 2021, 11:41 am Greetings to everyone who was here :wave:
who brought great news about the Finnish osprey chick, fingers crossed for the season to end without losses. :bow:
The first one who brought a good news was sova, then I opened the stream and saw Myy eating.
Sappheira

Post by Sappheira »

asteria :nod:
I have corrected
Sappheira

Post by Sappheira »

7:08
Iiris brought a small branch to the nest.
# 3 had already finished the fish by this time, the fish was small.

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”