NEST OBSERVATIONS ESTLAT Osprey Nest 1 Madis & Piret ~ 2012

Kukelke

Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012

Post by Kukelke » August 7th, 2012, 6:17 pm

pinkish wrote:So do you think Nori is going to fly very soon? Maybe tomorrow??? :chick:
I predict it will be tomorrow yes. Maybe later tonight will give us an indication because the chicks always get a bit more active then, so we can compare Nori's behaviour with that of Uno and Elo the evening before they fledged.
If not tomorrow, then the day after.

lispet

Post by lispet » August 7th, 2012, 6:22 pm

I vote for tomorrow as well!

pinkish

Post by pinkish » August 7th, 2012, 6:25 pm

asteria wrote: She is three days younger than Elo so she will fly three days after him.
(Hi asteria :cry:)

When did Elo fly? the 5th or the 6th? :puzzled:
...goodnight poor little thing

terbobun

Post by terbobun » August 7th, 2012, 6:32 pm

I personally have very much enjoyed a description of everything that goes on in this nest. I miss some when I'm working. I also enjoy Meierlein's descriptions very much. I have been so proud to be a part of this group. I do not post but I read every day and watch the family as much as I can. I do not know about the owls. I really hope that no one gets nasty with each other. ( in ref: to the owl vs. fish delivery post. rude in my opinion.)

Thank you so much for everything you do for these lovely birds. Just watching their lives makes me deeply happy.

Lunan

Post by Lunan » August 7th, 2012, 6:39 pm

I don't think Nori will fly tomorrow. I haven't seen her fly from one side of the nest to the other yet. And today she could hardly practice at all, with the wind an the rain.
If you would like to support the Eagle Club, the bank account details are:

KOTKAKLUBI (address if needed: Hauka kula, Valgjarve vald, 63406 Polvamaa)
IBAN: EE182200221040359778
BIC: HABAEE2X
Swedbank AS, 8 Liivalaia Street,15040 Tallinn, Estonia

If you like to donate some for specific action, please mention it when you make your donation.

Millie

Post by Millie » August 7th, 2012, 6:40 pm

Terbobun, So glad you enjoy watching as much as I do. There are really nice people on this forum and it is a pleasure to read the comments and see the pics and videos that are posted.

pinkish

Post by pinkish » August 7th, 2012, 6:40 pm

Kukelke wrote: I predict it will be tomorrow yes. Maybe later tonight will give us an indication because the chicks always get a bit more active then, so we can compare Nori's behaviour with that of Uno and Elo the evening before they fledged.
If not tomorrow, then the day after.
Don't you think Nori is less developed than her siblings? it looks like her feathers are a little bit different than the others..
...goodnight poor little thing

Millie

Post by Millie » August 7th, 2012, 6:45 pm

Nori is eating a fish , is it an old one or has there been a delivery??

Kukelke

Post by Kukelke » August 7th, 2012, 6:46 pm

Those worried for Piret and wondering when Piret will be leaving: I think Piret will stay here for another good while. The chicks still need their mother every now and then.

In the study I quoted before (http://www.ebd.csic.es/bustamante/publi ... _31-36.PDF), I also found this:

If I understood correctly, this means the female will stay with or close to the chicks until the chicks are almost ready to migrate. The female leaves a couple of days before her chicks migrate southwards, and the male leaves some days after the chicks have gone.
Still plenty of chances to see Piret in the weeks to come, I would think.

From the Dyfi Osprey Project website, where their surviving chick is a bit more than 2 weeks ahead compared to our chicks, I dug up this, so we can compare a bit:
Up to now, the time-keeping of our osprey family has been pretty standard and predictable. Egg laying is determined by how long the birds have been together (around a fortnight usually), incubation by chick development (around 37 days) and fledging by age and development (around 53 days usually, males slightly earlier than females). These key events are determined by factors such as physiology and innate behaviour.

We've seen Ceulan become more independent and his mother is now catching her own fish. Nora's work is almost done for another year and we will probably see her for the last time this season pretty soon.

Ceulan will hang on until at least the end of August and probably into September, as will Monty. But who knows? August is a funny month. A time of sadness that our ospreys will be leaving soon for Africa for sure, but also a time of happiness that they have returned, survived the worst weather on record, and raised one, very special, young bird.

http://www.dyfiospreyproject.com/blog/2 ... nth-august

lispet

Post by lispet » August 7th, 2012, 6:50 pm

Chris from Seattle! Welcome to the forum! Glad you enjoy this wonder of nature with us!

Kukelke

Post by Kukelke » August 7th, 2012, 6:51 pm

Millie wrote:Nori is eating a fish , is it an old one or has there been a delivery??
Was a leftover from earlier this afternoon.

Millie

Post by Millie » August 7th, 2012, 7:00 pm

Thank you Kukelke, for answering my question and finding info from Dyfi, It will be some time before our chicks will catch their own fish,

Millie

Post by Millie » August 7th, 2012, 7:02 pm

Can hear Uno calling in the distance, asking for fish I expect.

meierlein

Post by meierlein » August 7th, 2012, 7:07 pm

:peek:

PIRET is calling

tricky little NORI is playing very sleepy :mrgreen:

:whistling:

Kukelke

Post by Kukelke » August 7th, 2012, 7:07 pm

Lunan wrote:I don't think Nori will fly tomorrow. I haven't seen her fly from one side of the nest to the other yet. And today she could hardly practice at all, with the wind an the rain.
pinkish wrote:Don't you think Nori is less developed than her siblings? it looks like her feathers are a little bit different than the others..
Already yesterday and the day before Nori made some of those 'flap-jumps' across the nest. And earlier today Nori was flapping a lot for some time. Also, Nori has been much more on the rim of the nest today as usual, and spread his wings, looked in the distance, measured and followed Elo's and Uno's flights closely. Bit of the same behaviour as both Uno and Elo showed the day before they fledged.

But maybe he'll let us wait till friday, not because he isn't capable, but because he has eaten too much and is too heavy to lift off, and too much nurtured by Madis, who even fed him today.

If I were Nori I would stay very close to the steadily refilled fridge and cupboard, and let the flying wait :mrgreen:

Kukelke

Post by Kukelke » August 7th, 2012, 7:11 pm

19:08 - Piret just landed briefly on the nest.

@ jopie

I hope you still read the forum. As you can see, the transmitter is really small, barely visible even, and Piret doesn't seem to be bothered at all. Hope this will comfort you a bit, and takes your worries and scepsis away.

meierlein

Post by meierlein » August 7th, 2012, 7:12 pm

:peek:

PIRET came to the nest :shock:
had a discussion with her Baby
but NORI did not follow her :whistling:

:wave:

meierlein

Post by meierlein » August 7th, 2012, 7:13 pm

:loveshower:

big headless fish delivery

:chick: :chick:

ivj

Post by ivj » August 7th, 2012, 7:15 pm

It is so cute when they lie down in the nest and stretch their legs. Ohh dinner!

meierlein

Post by meierlein » August 7th, 2012, 7:15 pm

:mrgreen:

UNO followed that fish ^^
and took it under protest of his siblings :whistling:

:wave:

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”