DISCUSSION ESTLAT Osprey Nest 1 Madis & Piret ~ 2012

NancyM
Site Admin

Re: Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012

Post by NancyM »

Wonderful pictures, Olga, thank you (I love the ones with wide wingspreads). I hope one of these matings is successful :rolleyes:

I wonder if Urmas has information on this pair (or did I miss seeing that posted somewhere?)
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

NancyM wrote:Wonderful pictures, Olga, thank you (I love the ones with wide wingspreads). I hope one of these matings is successful :rolleyes:

I wonder if Urmas has information on this pair (or did I miss seeing that posted somewhere?)
Urmas said,yesterday p.m.
Seems right female arrived to the nest...
Note the ring on left leg!
We will see, if she stays there for longer.
See page 6
:wave:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

:wave: macdoum

Thanks you - I did see that message from Urmas, but I wonder about where these lovely opsrey were hatched and banded, and when.

17:47

Madis moved the furniture

and then tested the nest before he flew away
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Nancy,there is no further info about the nest,as far as I know. :puzzled:

If you have a moment,could you look at the Polish WTE nestcam,please http://www.lasy.gov.pl/bielik and tell us what is happening there ? Eggs are due to hatch the 25th (sparrrowfeeder) but I think the nest is empty today,as far as I can make out. :puzzled:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Olga

Post by Olga »

Five minutes after 19:16
Piret trying to find a good place for the new furniture.
Refining the nest cave, testing it.

She has a lot of work... :rolleyes:

20 pics follow

SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Olga

Post by Olga »

19:17
6-10/20

Olga

Post by Olga »

19:19
11-15/20
:laugh:

..Where should I put this something.. it may be for use one day, you never know

Olga

Post by Olga »

19:20
16-20/20

Olga

Post by Olga »

20:41

The nest is empty but the air is full of song, the whole sky is singing.

unp

Post by unp »

Probably the nest bowl must be dee-e-ep. Digging, all within half an hour.
maertha

Post by maertha »

Good evening :wave: . This afternoon I read the forum and watched this cam for the first time - very interesting. Thanks for all the beautiful pictures! When I compared them, my impression was, there´s a breeding paire-to-be (those who shared the fish, both ringend at the right leg.) And then there seems to be another bird, maybe a new arrival, ringend on the left tarsus. Perhaps a strange idea, but is it possible that some of the scenes were no matings but attacks? :puzzled:

The bird which busily arranged the nest material today when I opened the cam 17:37 was ringend on the right leg. It left the nest 17:47. This one (or another one also with a ring on the right tarsus) was there when I opened the cam again 18:06. This time no work at the nest. The bird sat there and looked around very attentive. Just a bit of preening sometimes, but very short. Once it flapped its wings. 18:16 a lot of flapping; probably another eagle flew by (wing sounds).

All happened very fast. Afterwards I had a look at the video with single clicks at the “play” button (to get some kind of slow motion), and I´m quite sure two eagles flew by 18:17:01/02. More flapping in the nest. 18:17:16 a second eagle landed (ring on the left tarsus). Both spread the wings, then they sat in the nest, the first one turned it´s back to the arrival. 18:17:54 wing sounds very nearby. “Right leg ring” turned around to “left leg ring” and spread the wings again (threatening gesture?). 18:18:06 it “jumped” in the air and disappeared. Now “left leg ring” flapped its wings - maybe a try to defend the nest he or she want´s to occupy?

18:18:11: Attack from the air to scare the intruder? Talons were visible several times very close above “left leg ring”, which left the nest 18:18:14. Immediately a second eagle, again one who was ringed on the right tarsus, landed at the nest. Again this one sat there and looked around very attentive all the time. 18:20 another bird or this bird called, an the latter left the nest.

Maybe I´m wrong with this observations and ideas, but if not it might be interesting to keep this in mind? :shake:

The video upload to YouTube was possible, but YouTube said there´s an audio/video problem. Indeed, the quality is unfortunately horrible :blush: At my computer it´s quite normal, just a bit blurred. Think it´s because the recording was an VLC media file (.mp4). I would be glad about any idea how to convert the mp4 file into something which is more suitable :help: .

For the time being I´ll post some pictures.

Sorry if this posting became a bit long.

Edit: Now I found Urmas´ posting. So the "intruder" with the ring on the left leg was or is the right female at this nest.
maertha

Post by maertha »

maertha

Post by maertha »

maertha

Post by maertha »

ame

Post by ame »

yes, maertha there's a possibility of an attack by an intruder. i've watched the happenings at the ospreys' nest in Nauvo in SW Finland (not very intensly though) i have got the feeling that the males arrive first in the spring and they try to conquer the nest. then females arrive later, "shopping" for a good nest&male. if they don't like the nest they on further north. a later arriving male tries to conquer the nest from the previous male and sometimnes it may drive both the male and its female away. this is very early in the spring yet to know what will happens here...
maertha

Post by maertha »

Thanks, ame. That´s fascinating, I´m curious what will happen... Meanwhile I think it´s quite likely that it is an intruder/third bird. Here are the rings visible.

by Mutikluti

by Olga

by NancyM
maertha

Post by maertha »

And here is the ugly quality video... :puzzled: :help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNDOSanq ... e=youtu.be
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

macdoum, I did look, but I don't speak Polish except for a few words - :blush: However, Google actually did well enough with a translation that I could tell that folks were worried because the nest had been empty for a number of hours. The website owner posted a conversation with a local expert who said that so little was known about WTE breeding behavior that he did not really know what might happen.

However, a parent returned at 4:50 and when I looked just now, she or he was on the nest! :loveshower:

(P.S. I do not understand the reference to "sparrowfeeder" in you question ... can you tell me what you meant? :blush:
Gaby

Post by Gaby »

April 25

Good morning/Hello!

EEST 05:27 - 06:06

NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

maertha wrote:Meanwhile I think it´s quite likely that it is an intruder/third bird. Here are the rings visible.
Maertha, it seems that you did catch a third bird on the nest - in your picture and video, it appears to me that the new mr-band-on-right-leg looks darker, grayer and slimmer than Madis. I have seen bald eagles try to land on an occupied nest, and the owner will try to push them off with their body or their feet. It is :shock: to see a tussle on a nest (but not as scary as it would be if there were eggs there.)

I think the episodes I have witnessed here are all the Madis trying to mount and mate with Piret - the two had been standing companionably for a while and she seemed receptive each time - although startled a bit when he came around from behind and landed on her back.

This morning, I have heard one (or two?) birds on a branch that is out of sight of the cam - sometimes there is a great flapping of wings and then Madis jumps down into the nest.

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”