DISCUSSION ESTLAT Osprey Nest 1 Madis & Piret ~ 2012

Manu

Re: Conversation and Art ~ ESTLAT Osprey Nest 1 ~ 2012

Post by Manu »

Oh wow,Starling, great you catch 2 woodpecker :thumbs: Very nice...
Starling

Post by Starling »

12.32 Great tit flying. :wave:
Bea

Post by Bea »

Starling :hi:
Great catch of this nice couple of Woodpeckers :thumbs:
And the Great Tit looks as if it is jumping trampoline :laugh:

Homedi :hi:
Thanks for the pic of the Raven- they are still having a look at the nest every now and then.
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Elaine

Post by Elaine »

Such beautiful photos of the woodpeckers, is anyone else worried about Piret like I am she has been right over top a road in Africa for a while and it worries me that something has happened to her. :puzzled:
Starling

Post by Starling »

Bea :hi: Exactly! Looks more like a trampoline jump than flying. :laugh:

Elaine :hi: Yes, worried too! Let´s just hope it is because of the lack of the GPS/GSM coverage. :puzzled: I wish we would have members all over the Africa who could go check those places. :peek:
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Oh Starling, what darlings those woodpeckers are. Just too cute. :loveshower:
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Elaine

Post by Elaine »

I agree, I wish someone would volunteer to go check but that will probably not happen, just praying for her.
Starling

Post by Starling »

November 8
10.40 Jay.
Starling

Post by Starling »

November 9
8.18 Jay.
Starling

Post by Starling »

November 13
9.29 Great tit.

Schmutz

Post by Schmutz »

I've been looking at the migration map. Is it a concern at all that Piret does not seem to have moved from her exact spot since Oct. 22? It's very sad about Osprey Ilze and White Tailed Eagle Nimeta.
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Schmutz, sometimes the unit cannot send data so there is nothing to update the map. Of course, there are many possibilities, but we have to just wait and see.

~~~~~~
There is a terrible rackety noise at the nest just now (9 AM, Nov. 14) - it sounds like someones over-active alarm clock.
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

OK, I have searched around and this is a big site. I know I have read in several places, that the ospreys migrate, then don't meet up with their mates from the previous breeding season when they get to their migration destination in the southern part of the world. But they normally DO meet back up when they fly north.

Now I am reading someone's post, saying they meet up with their mates in small towns in Africa, etc? :shock: :puzzled: :slap:

I don't think that is correct at all. Can someone please answer this?

Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Chimega, it seems that no-one knows the answer immediately so I sent your question to our expert.
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Thank you very much, Jo. :wave:
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

There could be exceptions, but I'm almost sure the Ospreys of a family migrate separately and winter in their own wintering sites. And pairs meet again in spring for breeding. Occasionally it could be, that pair (or parents and juveniles) winter in the same place, but the probability for this is near zero (looking at the huge wintering area of the species).

The meeting of family at small towns in Africa was nice humanised approach... playing with reflections.
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Hi Urmas,

Thanks for coming in here and replying. Your explanation is as I expected because I was sure I had read the same thing on here or other sites about Ospreys. I think the person who saw the documentary was confused by what they saw or else they just didn't know the truth. I believe they said the whole "family" met up in the southern hemisphere but I think what they really saw on video was an Osprey nest with chicks and not after the chicks had fledged. Also, before migration, not after. Thanks, again. :thumbs: :wave:
Nilla

Post by Nilla »

Hi Chimega! I think I have read somewhere from this site, that they will meet again when they come back in spring. (I'm not sure if it was this site, and I don't have the time now to search it, but if you have the interest :peek: )

http://saaksisaatio.fi/en/index.htm
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Hi Nilla :wave:

Yes, I know they meet back up in the spring after they come back from migration, but not the offspring. The question was, do they meet up when they fly to Africa, or other countries when they migrate in September, October, etc. And I believe the people said the offspring, such as Nori, Uno and Elo would meet up with them too. :slap:

I was 99-1/2% positive they do not, but I have been told otherwise, somewhere else. :rolleyes:
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Chimega wrote:Hi Nilla :wave:

Yes, I know they meet back up in the spring after they come back from migration, but not the offspring. The question was, do they meet up when they fly to Africa, or other countries when they migrate in September, October, etc. And I believe the people said the offspring, such as Nori, Uno and Elo would meet up with them too. :slap:

I was 99-1/2% positive they do not, but I have been told otherwise, somewhere else. :rolleyes:
What I remember someone saying -- that siblings (?) with transmitters (?) even though they leave on different days and travel separately, have been known to roost in the same tree on their migration path -- although on different nights.

I think there have been some comments that were more "in fun" that they might meet up in Africa.

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”