Estonian Osprey Nest (Ivo & Iiris) 2019

Bea

Re: Estonian Osprey Nest (Ivo & Iiris) 2019

Post by Bea »

Egrids wrote: April 28th, 2019, 3:11 am Thanks for the help Bea, now I understand the reason for adding a link. Will try as soon as I can. Will you, as moderator, remove things that are wrong? Thanks again // Egrids
Don´t worry about things doing wrong, Egrids, everybody here was a beginner once :wink:
I can give a helping hand and make an edit or remove, in case it is necessary.

When you want to try out things first, we have a topic where you can test whether your tries work ---> "Testing forum functions":
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=578
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

Sunday April 28, 2019
Good Morning all.
At 3.30 AM and now 4.15 AM I tried to look at the nest and apparently the camera has failed. When I took a last look at the nest last night, it was empty and no Ivo and Liris visible. The egg was exposed to the cold. Now I'm worried and I hope the nest will be visible soon.
Silke

Post by Silke »

Now, at 6:28, Iiris sits in the Nest on the egg. Another osprey - Ivo?- is on the top of the dead tree.
HelenL44

Post by HelenL44 »

I agree with Sunshine that there was no advance notice of voting; I would have liked to participate also. When I saw the list of names who voted I thought maybe Americans weren't being asked to vote; seems minor, I know. However, I will follow Bea's request to get "our feet on the ground" again after I share a few thoughts.

Even though our names have no impact on our osprey family it does matter to us as observers because we are all like aunts and uncles who get a say in choosing a name; there isn't much else we can ever do together of significance in the forum so naming becomes perhaps so important.

I would be interested to know how the vote-announcer is selected and how the voters are invited to vote. Then, I can go back to my love of this osprey family with no further questions or comments.

Resolving issues in a helpful way is good for everyone. We are "family" here, as we all love our ospreys. And it's good to be inclusive, in my view.
Helen S.
Rita

Post by Rita »

Bea: If names are so unimportant as you write in your justification above, then why do we give names? Anyway, I find it a bit cheeky that names are just imposed (I also refer to the way of naming in the other osprey nest (M&M)).

I would let the people who do the work (Urmas and Co.) decide for names or use the ring ID if there is one.

This would avoid discussions to that respect on this forum. And, of course, Bea, the names are for us humans only, that is plain clear.
lispet

Post by lispet »

08:23 Weather is much cooler today (+6C at the moment). Iiris seems to take care of the egg already much better.
lispet

Post by lispet »

08:34 Iiris left for the dead tree and very soon Ivo - who had been sitting on the dead tree - came to incubate.

08:36 Ivo left. The egg is uncovered.
08:39 Ivo is back.
lispet

Post by lispet »

09:06 Iiris is back. Ivo leaves and comes back for mating (attempt).
Malewitsch

Post by Malewitsch »

Iiris returnes to the nest & incubating Ivo
tried another mating attempt (as it ever was...)
:whistling:

mogga

Post by mogga »

Good morning everyone! :wave:

Here are just my two cent about finding a name:

I understand that many people have a name in mind that they would like best.
I had summarized the preliminary result: Iiris/Iris and Irja were ahead. Then 7 other forum members signed up and said they would prefer Iiris/Iris. So honestly, what final result would you expect after a big naming campaign?

I had seen at the other nest (kalakotkas) that the names had developed very uncomplicatedly and thought that was good, that was all.
Sappheira

Post by Sappheira »

Good morning everybody
Happy Easter to all, who celebrates today.

This year I will not participate in a choice of a name and voting. :wave:
For myself, I called this girl Helga and Wavy feather :D
As most will choose, so well. :thumbs:
Sappheira

Post by Sappheira »

10:49
Change
Girl left, Ivo is on the nest

Sappheira

Post by Sappheira »

11:46
The lady left the nest

11:58
lady comes back

Hellem

Post by Hellem »

:hi:
11:58 Iris returned
12:01 Mating
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

Sunday, April 28, 2019 - 11.48 AM
Hi friends,
I have read the disappointment of our American Osprey friends because of the quick naming. We are a big Osprey Lover family and what is a name? Both of them don't know that we named them Ivo and Liris. It is important that Ivo and his new female provide for offsprings and produce magnificent chicks. I like this new female. She had to find a way to get used to the new situation and now she's doing quite well. She is calm and does not scream (like Irma) when her stomach growls. I guess she is fishing herself because right now only the egg lies in the nest and this now for over 5 minutes. Now she is back and the egg is covered and I'm satisfied and the heat goes on - Ivo just came for mating
Enjoy your Sunday

lispet

Post by lispet »

Just to remind everybody that the correct name is Iiris, not Liris :wave:
Jojo

Post by Jojo »

Thank Goodness the egg is OK.
In the shadowy images last night it looked SO much like Ivo cracked it!! I went to sleep quite worried. :slap:

Well, we live and learn :laugh:
Polly

Post by Polly »

Jojo, yeah... the egg seems okay. :thumbs:

It's very windy today. It can dizzy in the head while watching and sometimes it creaks. Iiris sometimes looks skeptical at the camera system. :D
I like this new female. She had to find a way to get used to the new situation and now she's doing quite well. She is calm and does not scream (like Irma) when her stomach growls. I guess she is fishing herself
Thank you for the positive words for Iiris. Image
Maybe I'm really wrong but I still find Ivo relatively indifferent.
"Throw your heart across the river and swim after it."
Indian proverb
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

lispet wrote: April 28th, 2019, 12:41 pm Just to remind everybody that the correct name is Iiris, not Liris :wave:
Mea culpa lispet - I apologize for having misspelled the name. I had noticed, but I had already sent it - sorry. :slap: Iiris is the correct name.
paivi

Post by paivi »

Bea wrote: April 28th, 2019, 2:13 am I think I am beginning to understand why on many other nests/webcams birds get no names, but are only called with their ring-ID or as males/Dad and female/Mom or get unpersonal names like D1/D2/D3 and more like this ....
I completely agree, and wouldn't mind using the ID-rings or serial numbers at all. In a way, I would prefer it, because it would remove some of the inevitable humanization of the wild animals and if it wasn't for the rings, we'd never be able to tell most of the birds apart anyway.

I don't mean to be rude, but to me it's a bit funny how people always manage to make drama about the naming. There will never be a name that everybody likes, the names do not matter a bit to the birds themselves and if you're 100% set on calling this bird Ms Fudgebottom von Starlight-Crumpet on the forums, feel free to do so. Nothing's stopping you. The names are just id codes and someone will have to make the decision. I would be ok with the moderator choosing a name without voting at all, as thanks for a job that's certainly not very relaxing and for which you rarely get thanked. :unsure:

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”