Re: Following Karls' Families

Post by Anne7 »

Jo UK wrote: October 22nd, 2019, 4:20 pm Tracker Map
October 21 to October 22, 2019
KARULA
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OvBTz ... sp=sharing
Thanks for the tracker map, Jo

Karula is still at Lake Eber. (35 days)
Today, his 'yellow line' is 1,70 km long.
At 15:39:17 (UTC+3), the battery level is only 56% (3886 mV)

Jo UK wrote: October 22nd, 2019, 4:20 pm Not so late - my visitor is cutting the grass for me!
Do you think there's a chance your visitor would want to mow my grass too, Jo?
I provide cookies and coffee! :D
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Solo

Post by Solo »

sova wrote: October 22nd, 2019, 4:02 pm... I have clicked Maru's last known position again and found some pictures of Jan. 2019. I do not know, if we have already posted it. ...
the street views here: by Anne viewtopic.php?p=633722#p633722
the map here: (wider area) by me viewtopic.php?p=633968#p633968 and by Michi viewtopic.php?p=634026#p634026
sova

Post by sova »

Solo wrote: October 22nd, 2019, 4:39 pm the street views here: by Anne viewtopic.php?p=633722#p633722
the map here: (wider area) by me viewtopic.php?p=633968#p633968 and by Michi viewtopic.php?p=634026#p634026
Then it is good that I have only used Link
sova

Post by sova »

Anne, you know how far Karula has flown today
Edited ... OK, I have read now. Yesterday was probably too much :mrgreen:

If the weather is important to Karula, then he can safely stay where he is for another week. :nod:
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

sova wrote: October 22nd, 2019, 4:46 pm If the weather is important to Karula, then he can safely stay where he is for another week. :nod:
These temperatures look pleasant! :nod:
As long as his toes do not freeze at night, Karula may stay where he is! :D
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

sova, how do I do it? I don't know but they are simply very nice people.

Also I must say that the possibility of theft of the transmitter is one thought I had, too. It could be at the entrance to a burrow, where some light reaches it occasionally.
Or under leaves, and wind blows them away sometimes.
So many possibilites but it seems to be lost now :unsure:

Shall we try to fund-raise and buy more for next year? Maybe this is not quite the right time to suggest that.
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Jo UK wrote: October 22nd, 2019, 5:11 pm Shall we try to fund-raise and buy more for next year? Maybe this is not quite the right time to suggest that.
Jo, if Urmas would like to have new transmitters available next year, then fundraising is a good idea!
No matter how sad the loss of Aru and Oru is, life goes on ...
— Irene Pepperberg
sova

Post by sova »

Jo UK wrote: October 22nd, 2019, 5:11 pm ...
Shall we try to fund-raise and buy more for next year? Maybe this is not quite the right time to suggest that.
I will donate again ... :nod:
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

sova wrote: October 22nd, 2019, 4:24 pm could it be that the transmitter was stolen?
Yes it was one possible scenario, but data do not support it well.
Next year could be even worse in terms of food - two years of drought makes some corrections in food numbers... this is only the long time forecast. Not always the forecasts are exact!
sova

Post by sova »

Urmas wrote: October 22nd, 2019, 7:07 pm ...
Not always the forecasts are exact!
hopefully :nod:
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Sova, many thanks for the weather report!

TODAY'S SUMMARY OCTOBER 22

KARULA (Hatched 20.05.2018)
Birdmap was set to spring migration and the new distance measurement started on 15.02.2019
(Total distance on 14.02.2019 = 6606 km)

Birdmap was set to autumn migration on 11.08.2019 and the new distance measurement started on 15.07.2019
(Total distance on 14.07.2019 = 3012 km)
Overall flown distance until 14.07.2019 = 9618 km

Karula arrived at Lake Eber on 17. September (= 35 days)
No birdmap update.
(Last birdmap data: 20.10.2019. Distance: 1142 km (+ 16 km in 6 days), same area at Lake Eber, near Derekarabağ, Turkey)
Weather report on 22.10 in Derekarabağ at 10:00
Temp 2 m above the ground: 15°
Temp 500 m above the ground: 18°
Precipitation: 0 mm
Humidity: 60%
Air pressure: 1021 hPa
Clouds: 40% - 90%
Wind 100 m - N/NE (20 km/h)
Wind 250 m - N/NE (20 km/h)
Wind 500 m - N/NE (16 km/h)
Weather report on 22.10 in Derekarabağ at 15:00
Temp 2 m above the ground: 16°
Temp 500 m above the ground: 19°
Wind 100 m - NE (14 km/h)
Wind 250 m - NE (14 km/h)
Wind 500 m - NE (14 km/h)

ORU (Hatched 16.05.2019)
Oru started his first migration on 10.08.2019.
Last birdmap data: 12.10.2019. Distance: 4099 km, near Dedepınarı in Turkey.
Oru perished on 12.10.2019. Age 149 days (or 4 months and 26 days). 63 days after starting his migration.

ARU (Hatched 16.05.2019)
Aru started his first migration on 17.08.2019.
Last birdmap data: 09.10.2019. Distance: 1884 km, a little north of Borki in Belarus.
On 10.10.2019, Aru has been found alive, but in poor condition, and has been taken to veterinarians in Pinsk.
On 11.10.2019, Aru died. Age: 148 days (or 4 months and 25 days). 55 days after starting his migration.

I wish you all a nice evening.
:wave:
— Irene Pepperberg
kuhankeittäjä

Post by kuhankeittäjä »

Urmas wrote: October 22nd, 2019, 4:12 pm ...But in 19th noon there was some light visible on graph, charging short time the battery. It was of course not enough to affect the battery. Same time it means device is not in full darkness, in burrow for example.
Will wait for kuhankeittäjä opinion, before produce mine.
At the death site, the measured magnetic field is lower than the main magnetic field of the region, however, within natural variation limits (c. 10%). Starting 2019-10-17 05:28:20
and ending 2019-10-18 18:04:31 the measured magnetic field was high, more than twice the main magnetic field. This is rare in natural environment, but more common close to man made objects like buildings and cars. Hence, it could be possible that somebody has taken care of the transmitter and stored it in a dry place protected from the sunshine.
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

kuhankeittäjä wrote: October 22nd, 2019, 9:58 pm At the death site, the measured magnetic field is lower than the main magnetic field of the region, however, within natural variation limits (c. 10%). Starting 2019-10-17 05:28:20 and ending 2019-10-18 18:04:31 the measured magnetic field was high, more than twice the main magnetic field. This is rare in natural environment, but more common close to man made objects like buildings and cars. Hence, it could be possible that somebody has taken care of the transmitter and stored it in a dry place protected from the sunshine.
Thank you very much, kuhankeittäjä ! :hi:

This is very interesting information! If this plausible scenario is correct, there is hope again.
Possibly, the transmitter will be signalled by the person who found it.
However, it is strange that the device still doesn't send its coordinates. Probably no GPS connection?
— Irene Pepperberg
Michi

Post by Michi »

Urmas wrote: October 22nd, 2019, 4:12 pm
Urmas, thank you very much for your report! I am impressed that so many teams are still searching for Oru. And even with a dog! These are good people, helping so much!

Many thanks, kuhankeittäjä and Anne, for your analysis and explanation!
Is it really likely that someone took the transmitter? And, if yes, who tells us, that this is not a thief? :unsure: (Just a rhetorical question.)
It would be so good if the transmitter again would send a signal and coordinates ...
Michi

Post by Michi »

Jo UK wrote: October 22nd, 2019, 5:11 pm Shall we try to fund-raise and buy more for next year? Maybe this is not quite the right time to suggest that.
Jo, I believe it is the right time. I would appreciate it, because I would like to know more about the reasons for a failed migration. It doesn‘t make sense to fit storklets with transmitters only for one or two seasons. Valuable and further insights can only be gained from many years of observation.

What do we have until now?
- Eedi, an experienced male, he is alive
- Karl, an experienced male, dead. Probably shot in Lebanon.
- Päike, a young male, dead. Most likely drowned in the Mediterranean.
- Maru, a young female, sickened by avian tuberculosis, shot at the end, dead.
- Karula, a young stork in second year, alive.
- Aru, a young stork, died for unknown reason.
- Oru, a young stork, died for unknown reason.

These few events do not provide sufficient information on the reasons for the success or failure of migration.
Therefore I think it is urgently necessary to fit also next years storklets with transmitters, - although I don‘t like these devices on the storks backs.

BTW: Is it known that females with transmitter have ever found a mate who was not scared by the transmitter? Except of the Latvian female Mare?
kuhankeittäjä

Post by kuhankeittäjä »

Michi wrote: October 22nd, 2019, 11:12 pm <snip>
Is it really likely that someone took the transmitter? And, if yes, who tells us, that this is not a thief? :unsure: (Just a rhetorical question.)
It would be so good if the transmitter again would send a signal and coordinates ...
Changes in magnetic field started at 2019-10-14 15:29:04 and lasted until 2019-10-16 18:04:53 after which the magnetic field record stabilized. Meanwhile the measured direction of the Earth's gravity, relative to transmitter axes changed more random. This period of more than two days may correspond to transport in a vechicle. Who knows why it was taken, if it really was.

Anyhow, from a certain point of view, a bird with digital navigation, acceleration (gravity) and (Earth's) magnetic field record plus telecommunication capabilities in a backpack is comparable to a mechanical airborne robot which measures the same things. In many countries a permission from the authorities is required to make such measurements, especially if foreign. I don't know these licence requirements in Turkey. Although a backpack bird don't establish a security threat in reality, its capture may make controlling organizations curious of the eventual dangers they are keeping eye on. So, if the transmitter was taken, reason may be that someone just was curious or worried of it. Of course somebody may have thought that the device has commercial value and brought it to a bazaar for sale.

As seen by the acceleration (gravity), at first the transmitter was stabile with right side down, like hanging, then it moved irregularly, then it was stabile with left side down, like hanging again, and in it's final transmission it was more or less in a normal position, like on a table. All these four periods corresponded to separate magnetic field strength environment, hence possibly to separate sites and coordinates, too.

The transmitter may have been not capable of receiving signals from the GPS satellites, e.g. because it had been located inside with no direct "visibility" to the sky, where the satellites were. Hence the navigator could not calculate any GPS coordinates. This sensitivity is a specific property of the device, and manufacturer knows it better. Of course it can be tested by a buyer, provided enough time and resources before mounting the transmitter on a bird. Normally, thereis no use of testing, because living BS stay under open sky.

The temperature drop of the tranmitter may have been caused either by death of the bird or because the transmitter was removed. In principle Oru may still be alive somewhere, although wounded. It its a pity, that the workers did not have any observation on it. Before the complete change of the nature of transmitted data record at 2019-10-12 15:27:10, Oru moved close to a strongly magnetic object or many of them, both by flying and walking. This made me think that eventually it followed a field machine, which frightened or uncovered small animals in the field to escape and let a swarm of migratory birds to feed themselves. I may be wrong, because the local people don't have any such observation.
Solo

Post by Solo »

Michi wrote: October 23rd, 2019, 2:58 am These few events do not provide sufficient information on the reasons for the success or failure of migration.
:hi: Michi,
they are BS fitted with transmitter also from other countries, e.g. from Poland much young storks already more years and the first results are already published and also few others papers
Elena 64

Post by Elena 64 »

Solo wrote: October 23rd, 2019, 9:57 am :hi: Michi,
they are BS fitted with transmitter also from other countries, e.g. from Poland much young storks already more years and the first results are already published and also few others papers
Good day to all forum members! Many thanks for the information about our kids Aru and Oru. Maybe we should look for some more reliable predictors. "Until this year, a colored plastic ring with a unique number was put on one leg of the chick (so that it could be seen from afar), and on the other – an aluminum metal ring, which also had a unique number, but it was not colored, you could only see the code on it holding it in your hands.

This year the situation has changed, we have colored aluminum rings. Complicated (but became more reliable for wear) way to mount them-now they are riveted. But the most important thing is a gift from the German max Planck Society: they gave US GPS trackers. For the fourth year in the Altai territory there is a project on the banding of the black stork-a bird listed in the Red book of Russia. During this time, 45 Chicks have been marked. Why do the watchers, tells the ornithologist and photographer Alexey Ebel. EBEL: THE STORY OF THE BLACK STORK."
Solo

Post by Solo »

kuhankeittäjä wrote: October 23rd, 2019, 9:00 am ... This made me think that eventually it followed a field machine, which frightened or uncovered small animals in the field to escape and let a swarm of migratory birds to feed themselves. I may be wrong, because the local people don't have any such observation.
:hi: kuhankeittäjä,
- I am not sure, if I understand right all what you wrote, but to this I have answer - very probably yes:
- the first group (police commander with his people) send this photo https://i.postimg.cc/8kXqj9cK/place-where-Oru-is.jpg
- the field was freshly ploughed and storks very often search for it (I have seen photos and videos with black storks in such fields in the Middle East during their migration and I also read about killing a tractor in such situations sometimes)
- they searched both in the field and in the canals, they also talked to the owner of the field - unfortunately to no avail
- Oru maybe got injured, flew away to the channel and here probably found by some predator (one of the possible scenarios - we can hardly know the truth, what and why happened)
sova

Post by sova »

kuhankeittäjä wrote: October 23rd, 2019, 9:00 am ...
:hi: kuhankeittäjä ... thank you for the detailed explanation.

I hope Oru did not die because he carried such an * interesting thing * on his back.
So, I do not think that a farmer, in connection with the transmitter, is thinking about National Security.
If so, then it would have to be a higher organ. (but that's all hypothetical)

Another question; The transmitter is * registered * ... so, Mr. Urmas gets data.
What happens if someone wants to sell the station. The transmitter would continue to send the data to Mr. Urmas or can (whoever) reprogram the transmitter?

Return to “Migration Maps and News”