Estonian Black Storks Migration 2022-2023 from Birdmap

Migration Maps, Tõnn, Greater Spotted Eagle and Black Storks
Heloise

Re: Estonian Black Storks Migration 2021 from Birdmap

Post by Heloise »

Hello! :hi:
Martak, I agree, I'm also grateful to "Luscioniole, our dear french Julge's bodyguard" :thumbs:

Urmas watches the actions of this "Brave Bird" all the time and Julge´s biography is constantly updated!
This is the bird whose interesting biography is thoroughly written. :rolleyes:

http://birdmap.5dvision.ee/EN/2021/autu ... =0&speed=1

Have a nice day, everyone, and especially Julge, our little adventurer!
:wave:
Lusciniole

Post by Lusciniole »

Urmas should take the opportunity to "do a scientific follow-up" in Paris :D :D :D
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Hello, everyone :wave:

Thanks a lot for all information! :thumbs:

This early morning Julge was still in his/her night area near Louâtre.
But of course it was still too early in the morning to travel on. Last position: 06:02 local time.

I hope this storklet will finally find a really good stopover place, to fish and recharge energy (build up fat reserves).
I mean a really good stopover site, like Udu found, first in Poland and now in Hungary. Or like Pikne currently along the Prut River between Moldova and Romania.
Maybe something like the Morvan Regional Natural Park, for example, or some other nature reserve with brooks, ponds and wetlands.
In France, quite some Black storks nest in Bourgogne-Franche-Comté (Côte-d’Or, Nièvre, Saône-et-Loire ...)

Perhaps Julge caught fish in the limestone quarry in Belgium. All depends on how steep the banks of that quarry were.

In the fields where Julge is now, he will have to feed on insects, earthworms and maybe snails or slugs. Do Black Storks eat slugs?
I fear that this is not good enough to build up full strength to continue his migration to Southern Spain and probably Africa.
(But that's just my personal thought)

Lusciniole wrote: September 24th, 2021, 12:40 pm Urmas should take the opportunity to "do a scientific follow-up" in Paris :D :D : D
:laugh:
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
garina do mar

Post by garina do mar »

Anne7 wrote: September 24th, 2021, 12:48 pm Hello, everyone :wave:

Thanks a lot for all information! :thumbs:

This early morning Julge was still in his/her night area near Louâtre.
But of course it was still too early in the morning to travel on. Last position: 06:02 local time.

I hope this storklet will finally find a really good stopover place, to fish and recharge energy (build up fat reserves).
I mean a really good stopover site, like Udu found, first in Poland and now in Hungary. Or like Pikne currently along the Prut River between Moldova and Romania.
Maybe something like the Morvan Regional Natural Park, for example, or some other nature reserve with brooks, ponds and wetlands.
In France, quite some Black storks nest in Bourgogne-Franche-Comté (Côte-d’Or, Nièvre, Saône-et-Loire ...)

Perhaps Julge caught fish in the limestone quarry in Belgium. All depends on how steep the banks of that quarry were.

In the fields where Julge is now, he will have to feed on insects, earthworms and maybe snails or slugs. Do Black Storks eat slugs?
I fear that this is not good enough to build up full strength to continue his migration to Southern Spain and probably Africa.
(But that's just my personal thought)

:laugh:
Hi Anne :wave:
Lusciniole can confirm that, but rivers in France are usually good for fishing.
Be Natural
sova

Post by sova »

Hello everyone

Julge should just fly a little to the left. (Étang de la Ramée)
It would be a good place to take a break

Lusciniole

Post by Lusciniole »

On the birdmap, Julge didn't give me much of the impression of going on rivers but rather on the banks. In the green space of the parking, I went to see if there were any little frogs and I didn't see any, there were insects . But in Chamery, in the water treatment plant there were frogs! However, I am not sure there were fishes.
Where she is now, I don't know. It surprises me that s/he often on the edge of fields and forest, or fields and rivers/brooks ... :puzzled:
whoops! Sova gives an answer
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

garina do mar wrote: September 24th, 2021, 1:12 pm Hi Anne :wave:
Lusciniole can confirm that, but rivers in France are usually good for fishing.
Hello, garina do mar :wave:

You are undoubtedly right that in France there are most probably still many fish in the waterways.

Only, we rarely if ever see Julge looking for food at a brook or a river.

Wide, deep or fast-flowing rivers are not often frequented by black storks, in general.
They usualy prefer natural, meandering brooks, in (or on the edge of) forests. Shallow water in an undisturbed location.

But this is Julge, and Julge doesn't behave like the average BS. :mrgreen:

Although there are most probably suitable places in the area, Julge didn't visit any brooks here (as far as we can see on this map, of course)

Here, on the tracker map images from yesterday we can see that Julge was mainly looking for food in this field. Perhaps it has been recently ploughed? The place circled in red is zoomed in, in the next pic. I don't know what that could be...

sova wrote: September 24th, 2021, 1:20 pm Julge should just fly a little to the left. (Étang de la Ramée)
It would be a good place to take a break
Hello, Sova :wave:

Thank you.
Yes, I think that would already be an absolute improvement!
Lusciniole wrote: September 24th, 2021, 1:32 pm On the birdmap, Julge didn't give me much of the impression of going on rivers but rather on the banks. In the green space of the parking, I went to see if there were any little frogs and I didn't see any, there were insects . But in Chamery, in the water treatment plant there were frogs! However, I am not sure there were fishes.
Where she is now, I don't know. It surprises me that s/he often on the edge of fields and forest, or fields and rivers/brooks ... :puzzled :
Thank you, Lusciniole :wave:
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
sova

Post by sova »

I kept asking myself why Julge reacts (flies) the way she does.
My weak knowledge of BS (I'm not Anne, Solo or Liz ... and I learn with you guys) doesn't allow me to put forward a thesis, but I try to sort my thoughts. Watch out, here it comes ... :mrgreen:

If you compare Karl's children with Jan's children, it is not the same start in life.
Karl's children flew away from the nest, came back in (got to know the area.) Jan's children remained trapped in the * jungle * under the nest. Julge is the only one who came back to Nest, that's why she's still alive, probably.
I believe that the little ones fly out, to get back into the familiar, need ... for orientation (where is the sun, moon, where does the wind blow, how do I fly ...)
Julge didn't have much of a chance for it.
I imagine a child will live at home until they are teenagers. He is put on the street and is supposed to go buy bread ... " aha ... and where am I going now "?
Sure, storks are not people, but every living being needs a good basis for a successful life ...
I've finished...
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

You might be right, Sova :thumbs: :nod:

Little Julge left in a hurry, and had no experience at all.
S/he had to leave so early, otherwise s/he would have died in that forest!

Sova, don't be too modest! :D
You (and many others on the forum) know a lot about Black Storks, and we are all still learning. I am not an expert either, and watch every day what happens during their migration with amazement. Julge's behaviour is particularly puzzling.
— Irene Pepperberg
martak

Post by martak »

Girls..... :wave:
Sova certainly has made a good point about Julge's missing experiences during the nest time. But Julge was smart enough to take off and save her/his life. Then s/he was smart enough again to change the direction of boat going wrong way. The day after (only on 3rd day of her/his migration) s/he made 600 km! This bird is amazing. Therefore it makes me think that the luck of experience doesnt mean that much and that the animals' instincts are very strong. I also do believe that s/he is able to find propriate food for her/him. I can be mistaken (as I am not experienced with storks at all) but I prefer to hope for the best! :2thumbsup:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Good to read of reasonable optimism, martak.

It is my turn to make maps this evening. I have to go out soon and hopeto be home in time but even if I am a little late, I shall make maps!
martak

Post by martak »

Jo UK wrote: September 24th, 2021, 3:16 pm Good to read of reasonable optimism, martak.

It is my turn to make maps this evening. I have to go out soon and hopeto be home in time but even if I am a little late, I shall make maps!
OK, we will not panic if you are bit late :D
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

Solo wrote: September 23rd, 2021, 7:33 pm birdmap update

3D animation - Julge's today flight https://ayvri.com/scene/ykxwgxee59/cktx ... 6kac5iytap (by Lukáš S.)

:hi: Solo, The 3D animation link doesn't open, it gives information by ayvri - hhhmmm, we can't seem to find what you are looking for
garina do mar

Post by garina do mar »

BS don't migrate in family. Even siblings migrate in different routes. And their parents migrate first, so they don't have help...
I guess they know they have to travel South and some times they find others and go in groups.
The fact that Julge took a boat in the begining made s/he choose a different route, more close to the West European birds.
And we don't know if she is travelling with other birds. Ok, s/he was alone in that former stop but the other birds can have different habits.
Or she is travelling alone and is influenced by the weather. Two or three days ago it was cloudy in the places where s/he was and sunny near Paris, maybe it was what make Julge go West?
There was a crane (Loode) that came to Spain/Portugal, but always on a almost direct route (I don't what happened but there are no tracks since 2020). But another one, Vilja, in 2019 s/he went to Algeria through Hungary and Italy but returned through Gibraltar. In 2020 went to Spain, also through Hungary and then went North to Germany, not a direct route. Now is in Hungary for more than a week. Why? They must know... Weather, in special wind has influence. Also food if they find a nice place to eat...
Be Natural
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

garina do mar wrote: September 24th, 2021, 4:14 pm BS don't migrate in family. Even siblings migrate in different routes. And their parents migrate first, so they don't have help...
:hi:
There is evidence from black storks with transmitters that siblings or a breeding pair migrate together. not often, but they do.Compared to the total population, there is a very small group of storks with transmitters. There is even less data on breeding pairs. I don't know how many at the moment, but there should be a few. Thus, a statement cannot be made. Ring finds at least confirm that breeding pairs also travel together.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

sova wrote: September 24th, 2021, 2:17 pm ...Karl's children flew away from the nest, came back in (got to know the area.) Jan's children remained trapped in the * jungle * under the nest. Julge is the only one who came back to Nest, that's why she's still alive, probably.
sova :hi:
you are almost right :thumbs:

I've already written that a few times. the juvenile explore the local area. When they feel more safe, they move further away from the nest up to 100 meters. at some point it will be a few kilometres. They keep coming back to the nest. It's a safe place. This time is on average 2 - 3 weeks. All our late breeders missed this time!
Solo

Post by Solo »

JULGE
Hellem wrote: September 24th, 2021, 4:12 pm
thx Hellem :hi:
- I already know, I've been waiting to see if anyone is curious about it - probably just you

so for you Hellem - here you are:
- the 3D animation: https://ayvri.com/scene/ykxwgxee59/cktx ... 6kac5iytap
- and the description - Julge's moving on 23.09 (both by Lukáš S., translation by Zuzana D.):
For the night 22.-23.9. Julge moved from the silage pits to the edge of the grove - 300 m south. He spent the night there and at 6:00 he went to find some breakfast to the neighboring large field. There he walked 1,5 km and then flew to the silage pits where he stayed for 1,5 hours.
At 11:45 flew 1.5 km north to the beautiful village of Longpont with a beautiful monastery. There he walked across the grove and gardens then he explored the local ponds and the garden of the monastery.
He flew away from there at 14:02 for the only today's (short) air trip around the area. He flew to the local railway station where he turned and exactly copied the route of the local railway up to the village of Vierzy. He made an arch over the village and began to return. He flew today's 10.5 km and at 15:00 he stopped in the garden of the local fortune teller with a shop for magic and meditation items in the village of Violaine. Julge stayed there for 15 minutes. Then he walked away with a prudent step across the field to his familiar place with the silage pits and again walked across the field (criss-cross) at the grove where he spent the night. The data ends at 17:45 in the field at the grove. So he returned to the same place he had left in the morning.

:wave:
Solo

Post by Solo »

Liz01 wrote: September 24th, 2021, 4:46 pm :hi:
There is evidence from black storks with transmitters that siblings or a breeding pair migrate together. not often, but they do.Compared to the total population, there is a very small group of storks with transmitters. There is even less data on breeding pairs. I don't know how many at the moment, but there should be a few. Thus, a statement cannot be made. Ring finds at least confirm that breeding pairs also travel together.
:hi: Liz,
- :nod: BS with transmitter is a very small group of the total population
- pls, where can I read about the BS siblings or breeding pair who migrate together (all the way)
Solo

Post by Solo »

JULGE

- the desire to understand is understandable

- I believe that our competences for the (correct) interpretation of Julge's behaviour are insufficient
- the only indisputable fact is that Julge has not yet been in a place that would serve as a stopover site (places for birds to rest, refuel, and seek shelter during their bi-annual migration)

- I think that even a comparison of all publicly available data from young black storks with transmitters would probably not give the answer
- and these are still small numbers of birds with transmitter for serious scientific evaluation and only few from the all population of BS as Liz wrote already

- they really aren't humans, and as Marta said, almost all of their behaviour is based on instincts
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

Solo wrote: September 24th, 2021, 5:12 pm
Thank you, I like the 3D animations and descriptions by Lukáš S :thumbs:

Return to “Migration Maps and News”