Black Stork Tracks

Migration Maps, Tõnn, Greater Spotted Eagle and Black Storks
Dagmar

Re: Black Stork Tracks

Post by Dagmar »

Hello Solo,
Thanks for your response.
Yes, I'm the "Owl" Dagmar. Nice Nickname you give to me :-)

I'm worry abour Eedi. Last Data from 13.10. I hope he is doing well.
Solo

Post by Solo »

Dagmar wrote: October 17th, 2019, 11:50 am ...
I am happy to see you here after very long time :thumbs: :D (I read your comments time-to time on Makov youtube chat)
I hope our EEdi is O.K. he is only hiden = in this area is not the best GSM coverage - but I am unpatiently for new data :bow:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Does anyone know this study? "The challenges of the first migration"
It affects a group of 62 adult and 64 juvenile white storks. This can be transferred to black storks as well

CONCLUSION :
A thorough inspection of multifaceted migration properties, based on a very large data set, highlights the higher flight energy expenditure of juvenile white storks compared to adults. We argue that a fundamental conflict between the relatively poor flight skills of juvenile storks and their urge to fly with the adults in mixed-age flocks make the migration journey more strenuous for juveniles. Consequently, increased flight costs of juvenile storks were linked to lower survival. We hypothesize that high flight costs are a major, proximate cause of juvenile mortality in white stork and in other soaring migrants.

http://huji.move-ecol.com/sites/default ... e12525.pdf
Solo

Post by Solo »

MARE - LV
goris.lv :bash: :bash: :bash:

Šobrīd: 2019-10-17 15:30:19
Lidojumā: 866 dienas 56047 km plus 20 km
previous info viewtopic.php?p=697475#p697475
- localisation is in Sudan, Al Jazirah also Gezira State, in the district El Manaqil

Hana wrote: October 16th, 2019, 7:35 pm Fly away, Mare! ...
:hi: Hana, Mare returned after yesterday's circle-trip back to "her" field :thumbs:

Solo

Post by Solo »

MARE - photos
the nearest place with photos is Shubayrab (we have here already two photos from this village)

today the water supply

https://goo.gl/maps/esN3xoNfzkkj1K6a8

water supply 2 https://goo.gl/maps/esN3xoNfzkkj1K6a8
water supply 3 https://goo.gl/maps/wjRmdez2bBUczE3u7
Hana

Post by Hana »

Good evening everyone :wave:

POLAND

CNIG24 sent his current position after a full twelve days. Previous dates were from October,5th at the Israel-Syrian border. The exact route from October, 5th to October, 11th is not known. During this time he crossed the Red Sea and the first known overnight place is in Sudan near the Eritrean border.

previous data: viewtopic.php?p=697002#p697002

http://mapa.bocianimy.pl/

From there he continued further south, resting in the mountains near the Simien Mountains NP (October, 13th).

https://1url.cz/dMYwQ
https://1url.cz/SMYwo
Hana

Post by Hana »

CNIG24

Then he moved to the Blue Nile area, feeding on fields very close to human homes.

Hana

Post by Hana »

Liz01 wrote: October 17th, 2019, 6:24 am Good Morning Solo and Hana :hi:
Solo, Hana, thanks again for your daily work :2thumbsup:
You're welcome, Liz :wave:
Hana

Post by Hana »

Solo wrote: October 17th, 2019, 9:50 am CZ - Rescue Station Makov, Čížová

storklet (hatched 2019) 19126 - today morning update
:hi: Thanks Solo for infos about Mare and Makov - Lebanon - I wait impatiently for tomorrow's position, I worry about them (I hope all three are together :unsure: ).
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Hello, everyone! :hi:

Hana, you are doing a great job here! It's a huge amount of work. :2thumbsup:
Liz01 wrote: October 17th, 2019, 12:56 pm Does anyone know this study? "The challenges of the first migration"
It affects a group of 62 adult and 64 juvenile white storks. This can be transferred to black storks as well

CONCLUSION :
A thorough inspection of multifaceted migration properties, based on a very large data set, highlights the higher flight energy expenditure of juvenile white storks compared to adults. We argue that a fundamental conflict between the relatively poor flight skills of juvenile storks and their urge to fly with the adults in mixed-age flocks make the migration journey more strenuous for juveniles. Consequently, increased flight costs of juvenile storks were linked to lower survival. We hypothesize that high flight costs are a major, proximate cause of juvenile mortality in white stork and in other soaring migrants.

http://huji.move-ecol.com/sites/default ... e12525.pdf
Hello, Liz! :wave:
Yes, I know that study. It's very interesting. :nod:

But I'm not sure it also applies to Black Storks. Black Storks cover (at least) a large part of their migration on their own, including the juveniles.

This study says: "Juvenile white storks (Ciconia ciconia), which are known to rely on adults during their first fall migration presumably for navigational purposes, also display much lower annual survival than adults."
And also, as you wrote: "Our findings demonstrate the conflict between the juveniles’ inferior flight skills and their urge to keep up with mixed adult–juvenile flocks. We suggest that increased flight costs are an important proximate cause of juvenile mortality in white storks and likely in other soaring migrants and that natural selection is operating on juvenile variation in flight efficiency...

I posted this study a while ago on our "What we know about" topic.
viewtopic.php?p=687712#p687712
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Solo

Post by Solo »

Liz01 wrote: October 17th, 2019, 12:56 pm Does anyone know this study? "The challenges of the first migration"
:hi: Liz,
thanx very much for this :2thumbsup: To me new study and very interesting :nod:
(I know about the bigger mortality of young WS who fly with adults and also about the reason - I read that in other study)

btw. from "my" HU zoologist I know that it is not right to compare white and black storks as as many of us do, WS are more similar with the Oriental stork/Ciconia boyciana he says -therefore does not consider it appropriate to transfer knowledge from one species to another

for all young birds is true: Many young migrant birds die on their way to Africa due to starvation, exhaustion or predation, or because they fall victim to hunters or collide with power lines and other man-made structures along the way. :bow:

:wave:
Solo

Post by Solo »

Hana wrote: October 17th, 2019, 7:35 pm POLAND
CNIG24 sent his current position after a full twelve days. Previous dates were from October,5th at the Israel-Syrian border. The exact route from October, 5th to October, 11th is not known. During this time he crossed the Red Sea and the first known overnight place is in Sudan near the Eritrean border. ...
Hana, thanx for news :2thumbsup:
It is interesting to me: no data from Israel-Syrian border :unsure: (storklet flew above Jordan? :puzzled: ).
Fact above the poor GSM coverage in the Gulf of Suez coastline (and Red Sea coastline) a little further from the famous resorts and above the desert areas is know.
Hana wrote: October 17th, 2019, 8:06 pm ...Thanks Solo for infos about Mare and Makov - Lebanon - I wait impatiently for tomorrow's position, I worry about them (I hope all three are together...).
Hana, you're welcome
I wait also impatiently :bow: (the siblings are very probably not in the same group/flock)
:wave:
Solo

Post by Solo »

EEDI - EE, Karula NP - still without new data (last data: 13.10.) viewtopic.php?p=697188#p697188
EDIT: update https://looduskalender.ee/forum/viewtop ... 61#p697661 :D

Zoltán - HU, Gemenc-Keselyűs - still without update (last update 04.10., probably he is already in his wintering area - without GSM coverage) viewtopic.php?p=695903#p695903
Hana

Post by Hana »

Anne7 wrote: October 17th, 2019, 8:24 pm Hello, everyone! :hi:

Hana, you are doing a great job here! It's a huge amount of work. :2thumbsup:

Thank You very much, Anne :wave:
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

:hi:

16.10 New update by EEDI - 6259 km (+44 km in 3 days), the same area near Khamis Mushait and King Khalid Air Base in Saudi Arabia
Solo

Post by Solo »

Hellem wrote: October 17th, 2019, 10:29 pm...
Hellem, thanx :wave: (at cca 21:00 nothing new - now I am back here from FB :mrgreen: )
Solo

Post by Solo »

EEDI EE - Karula NP
Eedi stayed in the area

Previous data: Distance: 6215 km, Last data: 13.10.2019
(viewtopic.php?p=697188#p697188)

New data: Distance: 6259 km, Last data: 16.10.2019 plus 44 km in 3 day
Tendaha Dam/Tendaha Valley area, Khamis Mushait Governorate, Asir (or Aseer) Province, Saudi Arabia

the red circle - maybe depression, "pond" (feeding place)
Solo

Post by Solo »

the area north (it seems as feeding places, this green is maybe water/stream with "ponds")

the 2 blue circle - also feeding places
Solo

Post by Solo »

the localisation is in the stream

before this stream flows into the Tendaha dam, there is an Park area

probably the newest photo (2019, Aug.)
https://goo.gl/maps/7BT7iwaayZMAPUGXA
Solo

Post by Solo »

October 18
Hello everyone :hi:

EEDI - EE, Karula NP - without new data (last data: 16.10.) viewtopic.php?p=697661#p697661

Zoltán - HU, Gemenc-Keselyűs - still without update (last update 04.10., probably he is already in his wintering area - without GSM coverage) viewtopic.php?p=695903#p695903

FB news (BocianyMi) about Chris (stork ringed in Poland)
https://www.facebook.com/BocianiMy/post ... &__tn__=-R
more Hana

Return to “Migration Maps and News”