Following Karls' Families

Migration Maps, Tõnn, Greater Spotted Eagle and Black Storks
Ari19

Re: Following Karls' Families

Post by Ari19 »

Liz01 wrote: October 15th, 2019, 6:40 am Thanks for your contribution. I gave it up to write about it. A few days ago I pointed out that 2 black storks fitted with an transmitter, were killed. I think this message has also reached Urmas. Maris Strazds already knew it.

Something is wrong in this thread this year. It's better to be silent.

EDIT: We are not allowed to mention Eedi anymore, we are not allowed to insert the original citation and translation, although it is important to recognize possible mistakes. And now we can not compare with the data from last year.
Abigyl wrote: October 15th, 2019, 7:59 am Thanks ARI and Liz for you comments.
Yes Liz, you are right in all your comments. I was too tired to mention all. Thanks for helping! :thumbs:
Liz & Abygil :wave: , I don't make the rules here (obviously).
But I think last week really stressed people out.

It was very noticeable that the grief and disappointment very much affected how forum members interacted with each other.
I could see that the mods were having difficulty coping with both the tragedy of the situation and the different ways people coped with it (some wanted to discuss the situation, others felt it was too painful).

Anyway, when time passes and everyone feels better, perhaps we could all calmly discuss our desires and wishes for changes.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Ari19 wrote: October 15th, 2019, 8:00 am ....
Ari,
that does not explain why Solo is the only focus. It is a little different. I will not say any more about it!
Ari19

Post by Ari19 »

Liz01 wrote: October 15th, 2019, 8:10 am Ari,
that does not explain why Solo is the only focus. It is a little different. I will not say any more about it!
Not the only focus, Liz. Other people also.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Ari19 wrote: October 15th, 2019, 8:28 am Not the only focus, Liz. Other people also.
these 3 points that I have cited concern only Solo.
And! every year we lose storks. There was never anything like it now. It has nothing to do with grief. This is my last post the topic.
asteria

Post by asteria »

removed
chrisitz

Post by chrisitz »

Hello all!
For me the most important thing is the safety of our birds. So I would prefer the proposal only to say that everything is ok with the bird and the approximatly destination.
Maybe this would also calm down some discussions!
Have a nice day. I am still very sad about our many losses this year.
:wave:
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Ari19 wrote: October 15th, 2019, 8:00 am Liz & Abygil :wave: , I don't make the rules here (obviously).
Ari, I can talk only for myself... It's not last week. Since you weren't here in previous years, it's hard to read the situation.
It started around september and it goes on. There was a big change and not for the best.

I want to add something about translation:
Beside my English which is not my mother tongue, I am using 2 other languages and some German (can read and understand some of it).
When using GT, I can see in many cases, that the suggested translation is not correct. It gives another meaning to the writer's words.
Therefor, when you cite the source, or quote things in their original meaning and language, you can come up with a better result and understanding of the topic.
visit

Post by visit »

Hello again,

now obviously it is starting a big mixed up of what some don't like - very different points and i don't think that it is helpful to bring up again and again some points which could have been already ended !

Regarding the suggestion concerning the safety of the birds:
why not manage it like in the beginning, just wait with the data, until the bird ist e.g. about 150 km away ?
The weather documentation includes the surrounding, too.
So you can see the route, you can look for nice pictures and you have the only problem to get the information some days later.

Knowing the data is in my opinion not the safest solution. There are a lot of other birds too, for which you could get some money in case you would catch them (and that is only one reason).
How do you know, who is reading the data here ?
And that is no special matter of war or not.

So, what is the problem to get the data just a few days later ?
Knowing, the bird had made a rest some days and 150 km before - fine.
Knowing the bird had flown some km and days and 150 km before - fine.

I think there is really no reason for the users to feel offended or underprivileged.

Greets
visit
asteria

Post by asteria »

removed
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Urmas asks forum members to search for information about the GSM network around Iskenderun Bay.
GSE Tur also has not sent data.
Perhaps communications have been disabled and that is affecting the transmitters.
Solo

Post by Solo »

Jo UK wrote: October 15th, 2019, 11:14 am Urmas asks forum members to search for information about the GSM network around Iskenderun Bay.
Perhaps communications have been disabled and that is affecting the transmitters.
e.g. http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/ove ... e-map.html
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Thank you, solo.
Solo

Post by Solo »

Jo UK wrote: October 15th, 2019, 11:32 am Thank you, solo.
my pleasure, Jo
it also depends on the operator - there are many different maps and coverage data is not always the same
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

How recent is that information? If it is more than a few days old it may not tell us the situation right now.

My own experience of those coverage maps is that they are not reliable. A uk map says that there is a good signal where I am, but I know that mobile phones fall into a black hole in this road :rotf:
sova

Post by sova »

Jo UK wrote: October 15th, 2019, 11:14 am Urmas asks forum members to search for information about the GSM network around Iskenderun Bay.

https://www.nperf.com/de/map/TR/311111. ... le/signal/
juta
Site Admin

Post by juta »

In last known Oru´s location there are some grey areas( Voice / Messaging Only)

Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
Solo

Post by Solo »

Jo UK wrote: October 15th, 2019, 11:41 am How recent is that information? If it is more than a few days old it may not tell us the situation right now.

My own experience of those coverage maps is that they are not reliable. A uk map says that there is a good signal where I am, but I know that mobile phones fall into a black hole in this road :rotf:
problematic is Syria

Solo

Post by Solo »

juta wrote: October 15th, 2019, 12:04 pm In last known Oru´s location there are some grey areas( Voice / Messaging Only)
https://www.ornitela.com/faq:
"data transmission is as good as is GSM/GPRS network coverage in the study area"
"Some areas have no GPRS coverage yet, but GSM network might be available. When only GSM network is present, OrniTrack transmitters cannot upload the collected data, but once per day they send SMS message with 12 GPS positions scattered evenly throughout the period since the last successful GPRS data upload or the last SMS message.
When transmitters fail to connect to GPRS, they store collected data in the internal memory and upload once network becomes available."
juta
Site Admin

Post by juta »

Solo, thanks.
Now, when there is a real war zone, it may be very possible that situation is not normal and some signals are blocked. Actually I hope so.
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

:hi: Hello, everyone

KARULA

» TRACKER MAP
Karula_October14-October15_Afternoon
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1y6Z-U ... sp=sharing

Karula is still at Lake Eber. For 4 weeks now.
Tracker map says that he moved 2,33 km in 1 day (since yesterday afternoon)
At 16:02:20 (UTC+3), the battery level is 75% (4000 mV)

© kolay O3
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1 ... HMam=h1440
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg

Return to “Migration Maps and News”