Following Karls' Families

Migration Maps, Tõnn, Greater Spotted Eagle and Black Storks
Michi

Re: Following Karls' Families

Post by Michi »

Ari19 wrote: August 20th, 2019, 12:19 am I don’t know, Michi. : blush:
The photos are from Instagram with the hashtag of the village name. (#Eglupe)
It looks the home of some tunneling animal... :puzzled: Badger, martin, fox...?
Ari, this may be. Nevertheless it looks strange. But we're not finding out what it is. :)

Solo :wave:
Michi

Post by Michi »

Some pictures of ORUs current position.

In all those fields Oru has found a small nature reserve – Warzewo.

Oru is amidst many fields. If he would fly a bit to south/south west, he would find some probably nice lakes.
View to south, viewing height is 5,3 km.

Good night, everyone! :wave:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

August 20

Good Morning everyone :hi:

thanks to everyone for updates :2thumbsup:

I do not know what the thermals are like there. Maybe ARU has problems starting from the ground. Starting from the ground is much exhausting, more exhausting than starting from the nest or tree. If Aru is staying in the pond overnight, he is safe from Fox ect.
But it also shows that something is not quite so how it should be. They prefer to spend the night on trees.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Solo wrote: August 19th, 2019, 8:55 pm Liz, thanx very much :2thumbsup:

:puzzled: why they choose (Päike and others) they way to Italy (or Greece) and mostly perished

" Particularly exciting is the result of the crosswise mating of Southeast and Southwest flyers: The offspring of these crosses show an intermediate tensile behaviour with a medium orientation direction."
so maybe Kati is westflyer? Karl (I) was eastflyer - but in this report are Eurasian blackcaps not black storks :bow:
Solo, there are no investigations on black storks. There are also few findings. they tested it on a species.
Most of the findings came from laboratory conditions.
how should they investigate it? The transmitter are a good posibillity.

Martin Wikelski, Director of the Ornithological Institute Radolfzell of the Max Planck Institute for Ornithology and Professor of the University of Konstanz. "That's almost the most amazing thing about bird migration research - how little we've discovered so far. Fundamental issues are still wide open, such as where birds have problems on the migration or where, how and why they eventually die. "

But why they even fly, how they orient themselves, when they fly and whether they prefer to be in community or as lone fighters, what and whether they eat, sleep or drink in between: all that is still pretty unclear.

It is clear that the birds are flying - and from where to where. The animals have been ringed for over a century, fly away, and once they are found alive or dead, they can be identified by the ring numbers.

But why they even fly, how they orient themselves, when they fly and whether they prefer to be in community or as lone fighters, what and whether they eat, sleep or drink in between: all that is still pretty unclear.

"That's because for a long time we were not able to observe the birds in their field during their flight," explains Wikelski. The transmitter were too big for small birds, the signals were not very far. And so the knowledge about the phenomenon of bird migration was mostly based on local observations or laboratory tests - but whether the birds behave on the migration in the wild just as they do in computer models or wind tunnels, is completely unclear.

the whole article..it's interesting too:
https://www.welt.de/wissenschaft/umwelt ... iegen.html
Solo

Post by Solo »

Liz01 wrote: August 20th, 2019, 6:52 am...
Good morning Liz,
thanx for the source :thumbs:

black storks with transmitter are still only very little group from the whole population (not representative sample), but there are new infos about their migration every year (and about migration other birds with transmitter too)

= EDIT: question is in this case (black caps - black storks) - can we use the findings from one species to another? can these findings be generalized to all species? =

Liz, pls, what you think, can be that Kati ist westflyer (westzieher)? and you others? (Päike´s migration path)
Solo wrote: August 19th, 2019, 8:55 pm..." Particularly exciting is the result of the crosswise mating of southeast (SE) and southwest (SW) flyers: The offspring of these crosses show an intermediate tensile behaviour with a medium orientation direction."
so maybe Kati is westflyer? Karl (I) was eastflyer, Maru, Karula too - but in this report are Eurasian blackcaps not black storks :bow: ...
Solo

Post by Solo »

Ari19 wrote: August 20th, 2019, 12:19 am...Hello Solo :wave: :D Thank you for the info! I thought I saw the screenshot before, but couldn’t find it again.You are right, the pond is located closer to the railroad. That must be Aru’s pond in the Instagram videos! :2thumbsup: Yes!It seems that Instagram is be a good place to find photos by location.Thank you for sharing!
Good morning Ari,
this screenshot (by me) from the video you see in another thread :headroll:
Ari, you're welcome :wave:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Solo wrote: August 20th, 2019, 7:04 am .....
Liz, pls, what you think, can be that Kati ist westflyer (westzieher)? and you others? (Päike´s migration path)
Solo, I have no idea if Kati could be west migratory bird. I saw Päike's flight ... but she might have followed a group of birds? :puzzled:

That is also documented, better said it is explained. Every bird is waiting for good conditions before crossing mountains or water. That's why mixed groups are gathering .. everyone is waiting. When one goes flying, the others follow. so it may be that a swallow follows a stork ect ...
sova

Post by sova »

Good morning to all :hi:
Liz01 wrote: August 20th, 2019, 6:39 am I do not know what the thermals are like there. Maybe ARU has problems starting from the ground. Starting from the ground is much exhausting, more exhausting than starting from the nest or tree. If Aru is staying in the pond overnight, he is safe from Fox ect.
But it also shows that something is not quite so how it should be. They prefer to spend the night on trees.
Aru had cloudy all day (no rain)
Until 09 00 he had SE winds ... short time S winds. From 11:00 SW winds and from 16:00 W / NW winds, later NW. During the day the winds were between 15 and 36 km / h.
Solo

Post by Solo »

Liz01 wrote: August 20th, 2019, 8:17 amSolo, I have no idea if Kati could be west migratory bird. I saw Päike's flight ...
yes, nothing is sure, Kati hasn't transmitter - it was only though, if ...("Particularly exciting is the result of the crosswise mating of southeast (SE) and southwest (SW) flyers: The offspring of these crosses show an intermediate tensile behaviour with a medium orientation direction." Päike - medium direction, Karl - eastflyer and Maru, Karula too)
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

sova wrote: August 20th, 2019, 8:35 am Aru had cloudy all day (no rain)....
sova, thank you very much :2thumbsup:

I still a bit worry about him :blush:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Solo wrote: August 20th, 2019, 8:46 am yes, nothing is sure, Kati hasn't transmitter - it was only though, if ...("Particularly exciting is the result of the crosswise mating of southeast (SE) and southwest (SW) flyers: The offspring of these crosses show an intermediate tensile behaviour with a medium orientation direction." Karl - westflyer)
I understand what you want to say. It is possible. But unfortunately not sure. I wish she had a transmitter. She is an adult brooding female. We only have Mare. she is left over from all the female with transmitter :bow:

I've no time for that in the moment.. I will soon go to the sea. See you later
Solo

Post by Solo »

Liz01 wrote: August 20th, 2019, 6:39 am...I do not know what the thermals are like there. ...
sova wrote: August 20th, 2019, 8:35 am...Aru had cloudy all day (no rain) Until 09 00 he had SE winds ... short time S winds. From 11:00 SW winds and from 16:00 W / NW winds, later NW. During the day the winds were between 15 and 36 km/h.
wiki: Thermals are columns of rising air that are formed on the ground through the warming of the surface by sunlight ... Thermals can also be formed in a line usually because of the wind or the terrain, creating cloud streets. ...
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Solo wrote: August 20th, 2019, 8:59 am wiki: Thermals are columns of rising air that are formed on the ground through the warming of the surface by sunlight ... Thermals can also be formed in a line usually because of the wind or the terrain, creating cloud streets. ...
Solo,
I meant how good the thermal conditions are where Aru is. :laugh:

EDIT: It was very interesting to read that some birds consume more energy when they are on a branch than when they fly (in thermal ect.)

thank you Solo, I will add the date time. It's still cold here 13 degree :slap: but it's a sunny day. I opened the door and immediately closed. I'll wait another half hour :mrgreen:
Solo

Post by Solo »

Liz01 wrote: August 20th, 2019, 9:05 am...
I understand what you mean :mrgreen: (we haven't this info here in LK)
have a nice day

Liz, pls - today date is missing
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Good Morning!

I see that Aru is like EEDI, so i'm not worried. Because EEDI is very fast and knows his way for years now.

Must be a problem of bad weather coming from the south (there were heavy storms in France 2 days ago).
visit

Post by visit »

Hello altogether :wave:
Anne7 wrote:...
Thank you very much for the magnetic migration texts, Anne :)
Yes, i've read it (not all), it's very interessting - although we don't know all the influences to migration for sure.
The magnetic north pole of the earth moves - and with increasing speed. This is reported by geoscientists of the US space agency NASA. While at the beginning of the 20th century it was still around 16 kilometers per year, today the Pole is moving 55 kilometers per year towards north-north-west.
The measurements indicate that our planet is facing a reversal of its magnetic field - that means, it is turning its direction 180 degrees. The magnetic south pole becomes the north pole and vice versa.
Last measured pole shift 780,000 years ago
[...]
Studies have also shown that over the past century, the magnetic north pole has shifted about 1100 kilometers from Alaska towards Siberia.
sometimes it would be interessting to sit on a little stool and just watching what happens...g

thanks for the migration text, Liz :)

And thank you for all the pictures and information everybody !
Anne, Solo, Bibibu, Sova, Abigyl, Gigi, raven, Hellem, Liz, Ari, Olga Michi, Jo UK ! :)
*hope, have not forgotten somebody - only read the last postings

Karula seems not to have a lot of forrest.

As i had already written before:
Interessting that all three storks Oru, Aru, Eedi have in nearly the same time not flown ahead further but something like a rest.
But perhaps apart of the magnetic influence it had an influence, that since these days the wind is not any more string and straight South > North, but instead of this more West > East, SW > NE. And e.g. today it is less wind than yesterday.
i'm curious which way Oru will take regarding the different winds, too.
And maybe, Eedi and Aru will meet one day - they are not so far away of each other.

btw, are you intressted in german text sources too or only in english ?
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

:wave:

Today, our little KARULA is exactly 15 months old! :headroll:

This is his tracker map, from yesterday's latest known location near Eymir, until this afternoon.

TRACKER MAP
Karula_August20_Afternoon
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1b1PAf ... sp=sharing

This is Karula's flown track, today. :D
At 15:46:10 (UTC+3): battery 94% (4111 mV)

Here is a zoomed-in image of his favourite location on the small river (or brook?) near Nuhören.
Possibly he prefers that part of the river, because the banks are apparently less steep over there?

The tracker maps for Aru and Oru will be available around 21:00 UTC+3 (= Estonian time), like yesterday.
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Solo

Post by Solo »

Anne7 wrote: August 20th, 2019, 4:42 pm ...Here is a zoomed-in image of his favourite location on the small river (or brook?) near Nuhören. ...
:hi: Anne,
Porsuk stream
Solo

Post by Solo »

birdmap update: ORU and ARU :-)
sova

Post by sova »

:hi:
Anne, Thanks for the tracker map
Karula's weather data is available

Return to “Migration Maps and News”