Following Karls' Families

Migration Maps, Tõnn, Greater Spotted Eagle and Black Storks
adojaan

Re: Following Karl's Family

Post by adojaan »

Hi,
The satellite view layer from Google Maps has been reactivated now with API key. We'll see what budget does it require and whether or not we can keep using it.
Best regards,
Kristjan Adojaan
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

Thank You :wave:

I would imagine that a fundraiser with ongoing deposits will help, I would be ready! :nod:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

adojaan wrote: August 24th, 2018, 3:39 pm Hi,
The satellite view layer from Google Maps has been reactivated now with API key. We'll see what budget does it require and whether or not we can keep using it.
Best regards,
Kristjan Adojaan
Thank you very much for the info :2thumbsup:
Maybe we have to do another fundraising.
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

kuhankeittäjä wrote: August 24th, 2018, 12:02 pm Referring to the Bird Map record, Karula stayed overnight (23-24 August 2018) in a treetop at Central Ukraine. Please watch a screen shot of the site below. There's no Karula to be seen in the image, however. The air photo was taken before it hatched.
Good! :thumbs:

Karula
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

Päike 513 km

Thanks Kristjan Adojaan!
Freedom!
Treia

Post by Treia »

:hi:
Thanks UteL for the comment!

Yes, of course I have read the BirdMap-story about Eedi.
I asked just in case, because in Camera forum there where used both, the Uncle and the Aunt.

Really nice that BirdMap works fine again!!!
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

adojaan wrote: August 24th, 2018, 3:39 pm Hi,
Best regards,
Kristjan Adojaan
Many thanks, Kristjan!
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

Treia wrote: August 24th, 2018, 5:17 pm
Yes, of course I have read the BirdMap-story about Eedi.
I asked just in case, because in Camera forum there where used both, the Uncle and the Aunt.
Aunt Klara and Uncle Eedi have a very close relationship: something like an elephant in India and an elephant in Africa whose relationship is merely that they are elephants. It is irrelevant whether the African is in India and the Indian in Africa or the African in Africa and the Indian in India. :laugh:
Freedom!
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Swenja wrote: August 24th, 2018, 4:52 pm Päike 513 km
https://up.picr.de/33646817qg.jpg
https://up.picr.de/33646848uj.jpg
Thanks, Swenja! :thumbs:
Päike 513 km (+ 15 km)

Päike was probably searching for food at his/her previous location.

Will he/she take a rest in this new area? It's an urban area.

A very close view at Päike's current location. It looks much 'greener' than I expected, looking at the map.
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Treia

Post by Treia »

by Swenja » August 24th, 2018, 5:45 pm
Aunt Klara and Uncle Eedi have a very close relationship: something like an elephant in India and an elephant in Africa whose relationship is merely that they are elephants. It is irrelevant whether the African is in India and the Indian in Africa or the African in Africa and the Indian in India.
:loveshower: 8-)
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

UteL. wrote: August 24th, 2018, 4:20 pm Thank You :wave:

I would imagine that a fundraiser with ongoing deposits will help, I would be ready! :nod:
That's a good thought, but remember that we already have a fund-raising page, intended for use by Kotkaklubi. It is not specifically targeted on transmitter/satellite/4G costs but thata can be included in anything that Kotkaklubi wishes.
We have almost 4,000 euro now.
If it seems sensible, we can extend the end date. At the moment it is close to the end at September 4th. Just 11 days away. Now is a good time to donate!
https://www.leetchi.com/c/support-these-wonderful-birds

I will consult with Urmas about this suggestion.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Anne7 wrote: August 24th, 2018, 5:51 pm

A very close view at Päike's current location. It looks much 'greener' than I expected, looking at the map.
But Anne, I am sure that was something Karl told us about, in his book! :laugh:
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Jo UK wrote: August 24th, 2018, 6:26 pm But Anne, I am sure that was something Karl told us about, in his book! :laugh:
Did he?
I suppose I have to read the book again, Jo!
Karl told us so many interesting things! :D

Edit: Yes, you are right, now I remember when he talked about it!
Karl said this, in his book, while talking about his first migration:
“... I flew to new places. At first, it looked to be just the same as
home, but as I carried on, the ground below me changed each
day. It became greener, fresher, as though the plants had not
yet felt tired. Further still and the days became warmer
. ..."

Actually, I meant to say that Päike seems to be in a rather urban environment, and I was surprised to see (on street view) that its current location looks rather ’natural and green’ (no buildings). :D
— Irene Pepperberg
Summi

Post by Summi »

Maru, don't waste your energy, start moving southward, please.
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

Jo UK wrote: August 24th, 2018, 6:15 pm I will consult with Urmas about this suggestion.
That is very good thank you! To donate for a special cause that causes calculable costs, ongoing (regular) donations are very popular and then calculable!
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

Summi wrote: August 24th, 2018, 6:46 pm Maru, don't waste your energy, start moving southward, please.
What? The meteorological component leaves Maru some time. There is no real compulsion before the end of August. Or? I hope Maru is traveling with a group. :unsure:

Maru 1157 km new data :thumbs:

Freedom!
kuhankeittäjä

Post by kuhankeittäjä »

Anne7 wrote: August 24th, 2018, 12:15 pm Karula
1031 km (+12 km), is fishing and resting by the Korytnytskaya River in Ukraine
Last data: 23.08.2018

I made a merged image (birdmap + google maps) of the latest position and movements.
Karula always returns to the same spot, near the river. There must be something to eat.
Thanks Anne7 for the merged image! :hi:

What might be the reason to fly back and forth in relation to a fixed point?
Is there something that distorts feeding again and again or
is there some friend it wants to fly together or
is Karula calibrating its navigation system or
something else that makes more sense? :unsure:

Could this point locate in a grey water pool of the village upstream, as a part of its water cleaning system. To me it seems to exist a tube (of cleaned water) from the pool downstream to the direction of Korytnytsya river, and most of the pool upstream of the upper mouth of the tube evidently is filled with vegetation which (at least in principle) is capable of absorbing nutrients from the grey water. As you, Anne7 said, there may be something (of living animal origin) to eat by a BS. :nod:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

UteL. wrote: August 24th, 2018, 6:59 pm That is very good thank you! To donate for a special cause that causes calculable costs, ongoing (regular) donations are very popular and then calculable!
Having consulted with Urmas, his opinion is that the present fund raising should end on the proposed date. It is likely that the API key is not too much of a burden, or Google would lose customers"!
If need be, in the future, we can return to this subject for another fund raising.

I wish someone would donate another 4 euro, then we have a nice round sum of 4000 euro
Oh, then there is the 2.9% that Leetchi will take. It will still look untidy!
Hmm - - -
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

kuhankeittäjä wrote: August 24th, 2018, 7:28 pm Thanks Anne7 for the merged image! :hi:

What might be the reason to fly back and forth in relation to a fixed point? ....

Could this point locate in a grey water pool of the village upstream, as a part of its water cleaning system. To me it seems to exist a tube (of cleaned water) from the pool downstream to the direction of Korytnytsya river, and most of the pool upstream of the upper mouth of the tube evidently is filled with vegetation which (at least in principle) is capable of absorbing nutrients from the grey water. As you, Anne7 said, there may be something (of living animal origin) to eat by a BS. :nod:
I've thought of a biological sewage treatment plant, but floats there already so much fish that a black stork can be satisfied?
In any case, these concentration points are food sources. That's what I'm expecting :unsure:

@Jo UK

I like the opinion of Urmas and we also manage the other "problem".
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

kuhankeittäjä wrote: August 24th, 2018, 7:28 pm Thanks Anne7 for the merged image! :hi:

What might be the reason to fly back and forth in relation to a fixed point? ...

... Could this point locate in a grey water pool of the village upstream, as a part of its water cleaning system. To me it seems to exist a tube (of cleaned water) from the pool downstream to the direction of Korytnytsya river, and most of the pool upstream of the upper mouth of the tube evidently is filled with vegetation which (at least in principle) is capable of absorbing nutrients from the grey water. As you, Anne7 said, there may be something (of living animal origin) to eat by a BS. :nod:
:hi: kuhankeittäjä
I can, of course, say nothing for sure, kuhankeittäjä.
I believe there is food, otherwise Karula would not return to that place.
I also believe that you could be right, maybe that place collects (and cleans?) the water that comes from the fields and the houses. It could be a "water treatment pond". Many animals are adapted to living in and around reed-beds. These include mammals such as water vole, Eurasian harvest mouse and water shrew.

This is the best picture I could make of that spot. (Sorry, the pic is a little too big. Is it allowed, just for this pic?)
— Irene Pepperberg

Return to “Migration Maps and News”