Owls around the world 2015-2024

Lubaska

Re: Owls around the world 2015-2020

Post by Lubaska »

Mamicja wrote: June 5th, 2020, 2:41 pm :hi: Lubaska,
It was awful to watch this camera and chat. ... But I am always pleased off by moderators, who answer observers' comments that there is no problem and everything is ok, until a tragedy happens. This is common on most chats.
I was so devastated that I couldn't even write about it in the forum.
sova wrote: June 5th, 2020, 4:10 pm I also watched this camera very closely. Thank God not that day and evening.
Thank you, girls, for your support and understanding! I needed it. And it helped me a lot! Believe me. You reaction was like a balm, partly treating my hurt soul.
I still cant cope with that. If you had followed chat these last days, you would find me easily. I was the only one complaining publicly, saying loudly that responsible people downplayed severity of situation, that they let him die in front of 900 people online. They practically killed him ignoring his conditions and not taking him down the nest.
Did he deserve such death? No.

People are stupid and cruel.

This article shows that cleary: Quax was only PR project for city mayor who denied to help him for 3rd time. Only PR project. Only to get visitors, only to get tourists, to get money. Only Click hit :cry:

People were sending money to that falconer after Quax death. And their thanks. For what? For his ignoration? People were praising so called moderator (you were not allowed to alert on anything since you got "spreading panic" label from her in a minute, people were praising cameraman - OK picture was amazing, but it was a part of PR action - to buy very expensive cam and offer incredible nice pic - nothing to do with cameraman personal input. I would ask personally him - how many times did he alert bosses that Quax does not move? That something is strange? He could see what s going on in all the time!)

Horrible experience. When Quax broke his feathers on wing a week ago, I posted this information in a minute as soon as I noticed that. Nobody gave response. Mod ignored me and did not answer my questions even when I tagged her. It was just her practice. Quax got a gap wide at least 3-4 cm on its right wing.
Best of all for moderator is to ignore anybody who does not praise her repeatedly. No such mods are needed online. Useless staff.
Here is the mentioned article:
https://www.fnp.de/frankfurt/extratipp/ ... ByJ8nBk0jc

Sova, thank you for your kind wishes! :wave:
romy

Post by romy »

Lubaska wrote: June 7th, 2020, 12:40 pm
People are stupid and cruel.
Hi Lubaska, how about looking at webcams for what they are? Webcams give us the opportunity to watch animals. Just like animal documentaries. It is just live. The script writes nature. And yes, nature can be cruel. It is not the job of the web cam operators to intervene if the script is not to our liking. If it gets too much, we can switch off and devote ourself to the beautiful things in life. I am not a friend of interventions. There the board was already too much for me. The owlet would have been fed below and maybe would be prey for other. That's how it is in nature.
I hope you have good moments watching webcams again.
Lubaska

Post by Lubaska »

We ve got long-eared owls at the place where I live. Central Slovakia.

For the first time over many decades. I woke up last night hearing a new unknown sound, opened window and made a record. Then I open the internet and checked LEO sounds. And yes. It was a sound of juvenile. Few minutes ago I ve walked under trees and seen at least 3 of them.
I fear quite a lot. People use to hate them because of their night disturbing.

P.S. I will add sound record here tommorow.
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Kuvik odú, Tiszalök (Little owl nest) Hungary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCS1MOWf0vs

I think there are four. Not sure.

Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Fleur

Post by Fleur »

sorry...four young ones
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

20:23 Food
Solo

Post by Solo »

:hi: all together,
:help:
owl experts pleas hlep with ID (identification) viewtopic.php?f=2&p=753226#p753169
thank you in advance
:wave:
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Since there is no 2021 thread, yet, for Owls, I need to put this here, I guess? Moderators please move once a thread for 2021 is created.

These are Long-eared Owls in Missoula, Montana, USA. There is a nest in the trees or they will make a new one because webcam highlights from last year shows a female in a nest in what looks like the same location.

They are so pretty!

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Polly

Post by Polly »

Chimega, I also really miss owl or owl cams. There don't seem to be any active ones this season. Not to mention eagle owl. Except barn owls ... Here I might recommend Robert E Fuller.

Very diverse with the different nests, stories and usual visits (Barn owl, Tawny owl and Kestrels). Perhaps a bit out of touch with reality, as he does follow up and actually feeds as well. (And unfortunately annoying advertising :banghead: ) Still, it's nice to see these animals and their behaviors are still natural so far in my estimation.
Nevertheless it is strange. What's the reason? Are there no more owls or eagle owls or no interest? :puzzled:

I click on this webcam in Montana often but never are there active owls. Chimega, is there any activity? It would be nice! :innocent:
(With this streaming, it is not live when Highlights is displayed. So it is not live streaming. Currently it is transmitted like this. )
Or am I using the wrong link?
"Throw your heart across the river and swim after it."
Indian proverb
seira

Post by seira »

Long-Eared Owl Nest , Missoula, Montana
https://explore.org/livecams/owl-resear ... ed-owl-cam

ORI Liberty Mod :
Welcome to the Long-eared Owl Winter Roost cam!

This cam operates as the Long-eared Owl nest cam during the spring and summer and, when we find a suitable winter roost, we move it to take advantage of these unique views. Happily, this is one of those times!

Long-eared Owls are one of the few owl species in the world who roost communally. Clustering in groups of 2 to 20 individuals, these roosts occur during the non-breeding season - the fall and winter. Communal roosts of up to 100 individuals have been reported. Although we don’t see numbers like this in our study areas, we have seen as many as 16 in a group. These winter roosts are made-up of owls who are different sexes, ages and are rarely comprise members of the same family. As a nocturnal species, Long-eared Owls hunt voles in nearby meadows during the night, then settle-in to rest, or roost, during the day.

This cam is solar powered. Western Montana has a lot of gray days during the winter and, as a result, there isn’t always enough sun to power the cam. When you see highlights, this is likely what’s going on.

I’ll check in regularly to answer any questions you have. Likewise, you can always message me directly via the Message Partner tab above.

For now, we hope you enjoy getting to know these sleepy beauties!

Polly :hi:
I watch this cam from time to time, the long-eared owls are really cute. Because of insufficient solar power, live broadcasts sometimes show highlights.
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Polly wrote: January 16th, 2021, 8:52 pm Chimega, I also really miss owl or owl cams. There don't seem to be any active ones this season. Not to mention eagle owl. Except barn owls ... Here I might recommend Robert E Fuller.
Hi Polly, thanks for the link. I'm not actually watching any Owls this time of year anymore but I might look in on them from time to time.

When I shot the video, Friday, that was live at the trees where the Long-eared Owls sit in the trees. Most of the time, it does go to highlights but on occasion and when the sun is or has been out to energize the batteries, they do stream the camera live. I saw they had been recorded by someone else so I went there because I think these particular species of Owl are one of the prettiest, ever. They did not disappoint me. :loveshower:

I'm sorry I didn't get back in time to answer your questions and see that everything you wanted to know about that nest area has already been answered. Good luck finding the camera live and don't forget, you can always back up on the DVR youtube stream and watch current activity, even if it's an hour or more old. They're just too cute not to watch on occasion. 8-)
Polly

Post by Polly »

Hello @seira and @Chimega :hi:

Thank you both for the nice feedback.
Okay, then it is worth to keep trying. That's what I will do! :innocent:
Indian proverb
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Polly wrote: January 17th, 2021, 5:15 pm Hello @seira and @Chimega :hi:

Thank you both for the nice feedback.
Okay, then it is worth to keep trying. That's what I will do! :innocent:
Good luck finding them live! I'm sure you will once you try a few times. Afternoons in that area are probably the best. :thumbs:
Solo

Post by Solo »

Hello everyone :hi:

Willie and Marie are a young couple who built a nest on Farmer Derek's farm. There is no audio.
Bonnie and Clyde are two great horned owls trying to steal the nest.

stream https://youtu.be/rpMuGf6Jy94

Great Horned Owl knocks a Bald Eagle off its nest!! https://youtu.be/CvOrUXc6fF8
Polly

Post by Polly »

Solo, thank you very much! :thumbs:
I just found the link earlier in the Eagle thread and saved it immediately. The camera is now running in parallel with the hawks. Well, in terms of sound, both cameras (unfortunately) don't interfere with each other. 8-)

Currently there is nothing to see of the eagle pair.

Instead ...

Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

The eagles have apparently accepted their nest. There were no further attempts to recapture the nest. As far as I know.

I missed Clyde the male at first. I didn't see him.
Yesterday, however, the all-clear - he brought food for Bonnie, who sits firmly on the nest.

There was snow today ... no egg yet.

Indian proverb
Bea

Post by Bea »

☼ ☼ ☼

This looks pretty much like an egg roll - and she has already developed a brood patch, consuming a loose feather from it when settling back down on the egg/s

Live Stream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpMuGf6Jy94

Channel of Farmer Derek
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvQpt5 ... XBIE7C7aSA
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Polly

Post by Polly »

Bea :2thumbsup: , I was wondering why Bonnie was so tight. She rarely left the nest, or only very briefly.
Even with a zoom I never saw an egg.

Look, I took this picture on February 5th. She was already sitting and eating a feather.

Oh, it would be nice to have an egg - even if it is invisible. :loveshower: She can't hide it forever :rotf:
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

Farmer Derek

Bonnie fits well. :innocent:
This morning the camera was covered in snow. There must have been gusts.

She has a pretty plumage. Almost like pine cones. :innocent:
They are pretty owls in general. Although they have stern 'faces'.

Indian proverb

Return to “Owls”