Lesser Spotted Eagles in Poland - 2016/17

Aquila pomarina and A. clanga nests in other countries
Jujani

Re: Lesser Spotted Eagles in Poland - 2016/17

Post by Jujani »

Too bad, the camera is mostly black, but you could hear the young LSE, very close and loud
Wojtek

Post by Wojtek »

16 August
Yes Jujani, I heard them too: at 13:37 (local time) - probably two eagles, they were in the area but not too close to the nest tree; at 14:13 - I think this was fledgling, and it was closer to the nest; at 18:30 - again fledgling but further away from the nest. At 19:45 I could hear cranes gathering for the night, and a raven.
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

August 17

14:24 The cam is working now and I hear the kid calling nearby. The camera view has shrunk; it is narrower in width, the image is distorted.

Wojtek

Post by Wojtek »

17 August
12:30 - LSE calls in a distance
15:54 - 16:06 - LSE calls in a distance, sounds like UwB-2
18:30 - UwB-2 calls close to the nest tree, voice becomes stronger and at 18:35 eaglet obviously lands in the nest tree (no video); keeps calling, then leaves the tree (voice gets weaker) and at 18:40 becomes silent
bielikoholik

Post by bielikoholik »

It seems that the fault has been repaired :-)
Wojtek

Post by Wojtek »

18 August
LSE calls in a distance, mostly UwB-2 but maybe also parents: 15:07 ~ 15:35; 16:37; 16:58; 19:44.
I wonder if they use the old nest tree for perching, eating, sleeping etc. (the old nest probably doesn't exist}.
Can we send someone on the ground to verify?
Wojtek

Post by Wojtek »

19 August
12:51 – LSE calls in the area
15:35 – 15:40 - an eagle calls somewhere near the nest tree, UwB-2 or a parent
16:00 – thunderstorm!, heavy rain, strong winds and hail; actually the cam and the mic started working better during the storm
18:20 – UwB-2 talks in a baby voice somewhere very close to the mic, the eaglet would use this voice every evening to greet its mom arriving at the nest for the night
Wojtek

Post by Wojtek »

20 August
More than 24 hours of rain and is still raining.
The eagles still present in the nesting area.
Distant calls by LSEs: 14:05; 16:07; 16:25-16:37 (two eagles); 18:06-18:12; 19:00
Jujani

Post by Jujani »

Will we see the eagles again before they flying to Africa? I do not think so. Probably they have another place near the nest.Today the camera is off again. I wish the LSE family a good flight and a healthy return and the eaglet should not please fly over the Mediterranean.
asteria

Post by asteria »

:book: Before the start their migration to Africa, LSE(in Polish they are literally called "crying eagles") will bring fresh twigs in the nest. It means they show that the nest is "reserved" for the next season.
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

asteria wrote: LSE(in Polish they are literally called "crying eagles")
Also in Dutch and German. Since I follow the LSE nests I know why... :nod:
Jujani

Post by Jujani »

The Camera is off :rant:
I like the voice from the LSE, in german Screameagle,
but I think that the osprey are much more scream.

In the last year the last visit from the eaglet on 5.Sept. and I hope we see the UwB-2 once again to say goodbye :wave:
Wojtek

Post by Wojtek »

23 August
While we are waiting for the camera to come back on, I have a question to all LSE experts. I have noticed a difference in appearance between the UwB male and female. The male has clear, yellow eye, but female’s eye is darker with some greenish/yellowish coloration. Is this difference gender, or age related, or maybe she is just a hybrid?
Jujani

Post by Jujani »

A reunion with LSE will probably no longer exist this year, very sad. The camera remains black.

@ Wojtek
I have rarely seen the father this year, and I can not compare it. The female is a little bigger, but that is the case with all eagles. But I´m not an Expert.
Wojtek

Post by Wojtek »

Hey Jujani, I have two nice snapshots of the UwB male, but I don't know how to post them on the forum.
Biker

Post by Biker »

:hi: Wojtek
you need a photo host service. you have to paste the link of the uploaded images between the IMG brackets in your post. You can get more info here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21&view=unread#unread
*Please don't feed the trolls!*
Wojtek

Post by Wojtek »

Thank you, Biker.
I have just learned that I am 10 years behind this technology. I'll be back in few weeks.
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

It is not that difficult, Wojtek, if you use Picr.de . The host needs to turn you file into a coded file so it works in the forum:
Go to https://picr.de ,
choose your file from your computer, press 'upload' at the bottom of the page and voilà, a code appears you can copy and then paste directly in your post.
Good luck.
bielikoholik

Post by bielikoholik »

:hi:
Observers from Poland have prepared a short film at the end of the season 8-)

https://youtu.be/zFZB9dDMcQc

We hope that next year the lesser spotted eagles will return to the nest and ornithologists will start the camera again.
Hopefully with better transmission quality :-)
Biker

Post by Biker »

thank you bielikoholik for that. It's a very nice summary of development of this LSE family. :wave:
*Please don't feed the trolls!*

Return to “Spotted Eagles - Lesser and Greater Spotted Eagles”