Lesser Spotted Eagles in Poland - 2016/17

Aquila pomarina and A. clanga nests in other countries
BigDee

Re: Lesser Spotted Eagles in Poland - 2016/17

Post by BigDee »

Female in the nest with a frog.
She wants the chick to eat the prey at one go, but the kid only watches the amphibian. I would say, the chick from last year, at the same stage of developement, was able to eat every frog in one piece and didn't need the parent's help.

Mother decides to help and feeds the chick:
asteria

Post by asteria »

20.44 It looks like they eat leaves?!
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

Where is the link to the live camera? The links I found in this forum only show the University page with videos from 2016. I don't read Polish I'm afraid..
Lubaska

Post by Lubaska »

Marfo wrote:Where is the link to the live camera? The links I found in this forum only show the University page with videos from 2016. I don't read Polish I'm afraid..
You need to click Polish version of the Uni page and then you will see Live Cam window. Dont stay on English version :)

It s a bit strange, I know. I had the same problem at the beginning
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

Ah, thank you, Lubaska :wave:
Yes that is very strange :unsure: They probably forgot to add the link on the English page...?
asteria

Post by asteria »

Now the page is not opened at all. :puzzled:
BigDee

Post by BigDee »

15:32 - Quite a big vole in the nest. I didn't see the delivery, but the deliverer was probably the male.
Eaglet moves the rodent in the nest and tries to divide it into pieces, but it doesn't work. After some effort it manages to eat the vole at one go.

Getting bigger:
Jujani

Post by Jujani »

:hi: Marfo

If you have the old page and the videos of 2016 see, then just press F5, then comes the current camera. Even better is this link from Biker, their you have fullscreen

https://live.mstream.pl/uwb/cam-4923/
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

Thank you, Jujani :wave:
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

:hi:
Mom is checking the cam :mrgreen:
Lubaska

Post by Lubaska »

Mamicja wrote::hi:
Mom is checking the cam :mrgreen:
Excelent picture, Mamicja!
This small thing (cam) was a reason why we saw the little one to be alone during first nights after installing it, I think.
She was disturbed and the chick so lonely spending hours alone.
Isnt it funny how does the bird check that unknown part of the branch that she hasnt noticed earlier what she sat on the egg.
Animal curiosity is very cute!
Lubaska

Post by Lubaska »

What a bad day! :rotf:

I have seen 2 frogs how they escaped live from the nest today. Quite big frogs.
The little one was surprised... and couldnt understand where is that food that Dad has just brought :mrgreen: Was protesting and complaining but nobody was there to bring them back, haha.

This is how you look when your lunch is on the run 8-)

This is how you look when another frog just escaped.
asteria

Post by asteria »

This eaglet must be a girl, it has been calling a lot.
Lubaska

Post by Lubaska »

Sound of the the rain drops and falling water... it s raining.

Mom is in the nest standing and covering small part of the eaglet. Wet night ahead.

Eaglet under Mom s belly :mrgreen:
Jujani

Post by Jujani »

I have neglected this camera a bit this year. The chick has become such a pretty eagle.

Sometimes I think the single children (only one egg in the nest) are girls. If 2 eggs are there and the younger one has been killed, the survivor is a boy. But this is only my theory, by no means science. I do not know any statistics. Probably stupid of me. :blush:
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

I read somewhere that the eldest of the two chicks always kills the youngest unless there is plenty of food. So your theory can't be right. Image
Lubaska

Post by Lubaska »

Marfo wrote:I read somewhere that the eldest of the two chicks always kills the youngest unless there is plenty of food. So your theory can't be right.
Why not? It could be... but it s probably not.
If there is the same number of nests with one and with two eggs, Jujani s principle could work and we would get the same number of females and males. Jujani only tried to describe her feelings when watching LSE nests. I like if people think about species and have their own thoughts.

Estonian scientists published a study which shows a connection between good and bad food years (abundance of voles) - so in good years the fledglings are mostly females and in bad years the fledgling is mostly a male. Interesting, dont you think?
Jujani

Post by Jujani »

Marfo wrote:I read somewhere that the eldest of the two chicks always kills the youngest unless there is plenty of food. So your theory can't be right. Image
The killing of the younger siblings always takes place with these eagles. Even if there is a lot of food. It is genetic. (Cainism). But if there is only one egg, like here in Poland, or even in Latvia, then it is a girl. That was my thought
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

Marfo wrote:I read somewhere that the eldest of the two chicks always kills the youngest unless there is plenty of food. So your theory can't be right.
Lubaska wrote:Why not? It could be... but it s probably not.
If there is the same number of nests with one and with two eggs, Jujani s principle could work and we would get the same number of females and males. Jujani only tried to describe her feelings when watching LSE nests. I like if people think about species and have their own thoughts.
I only repeated what I read in two places. I have no opinion about this matter nor of Jujani. I certainly appreciate when people have their own thoughts (and feelings). No offence meant.
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

Just because it is such a beautiful image. Lovely colours. Great cam.

Return to “Spotted Eagles - Lesser and Greater Spotted Eagles”