American Bald Eagles.

All eagles except White-tailed and Spotted Eagles
Birdfriend

Re: American Bald Eagles.

Post by Birdfriend »

Big Bear

The sub adult intruder from yesterday is again there, rearranging sticks and makes nest duties.

Later Stormy arrived and chased the sub adult out, now he/ she sits on Mom's branch. Both were together there for some minutes, it was very quiet, so as they accept each other. Then Stormy want also to the branch, they beaking a bit and the sub adult left. Really interesting to watch their behaviour.
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
Cessie

Post by Cessie »

:wave: Birdfriend, interesting that Stormy has a friend! Well, not a friend but another eagle like himself. :D maybe they can learn from each other.

Bawet, thanks for the video of the Sauces Canyon nest. It’s true that they never seem to have enough food, they are hungry but okay. This might be the time when the parents want the chicks to slim down to make their first flights. I know that I have seen one of the chicks really exercising it’s wings. But still I wonder about the Fish situation, the are in the Pacific Ocean on an island. :puzzled: So why haven’t more fish been brought? I know that the commercial fishermen do well. I also wonder if there are bunnies (hares) on the island? You would think that I should know more than I do. :unsure: I do hope that the parents find more prey for the chicks. :bow:
One thing that I do know that they have on the island is mice! At first I thought that it was cool to see one or two at night on the nest, helping themselves to the seal after birth, then one night I saw at least 4 mice running around and sorry I couldn’t watch at night anymore. Ugh!
Taube

Post by Taube »

Hello everyone,
Many thanks for the pictures and videos, today Decorah 2 flew out of the nest, but no one has returned yet :rolleyes:
Taube

Post by Taube »

sorry not Decorah ,, Sauces :laugh:
Bawet

Post by Bawet »

Taube wrote: May 31st, 2018, 7:38 pm sorry not Decorah ,, Sauces :laugh:
:hi: Taube,

The middle one got off to a good start.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gb4UtS ... 3pFf9TBt-6
Taube

Post by Taube »

Hallo Bawet :hi:

thanks for video, i also saw it, great,
now there are 2 in the nest again, but the third one is still missi 8-)
Bawet

Post by Bawet »

Cessie wrote: May 31st, 2018, 9:09 am :wave: Birdfriend, interesting that Stormy has a friend! Well, not a friend but another eagle like himself. :D maybe they can learn from each other.

Bawet, thanks for the video of the Sauces Canyon nest. ..........................................................

:hi: Cessie,

I read that at the end of breeding the parents would deliberately bring less food into the nest so that they would fly out.

With an island and the sea nearby, one wonders why so little fish. I don't know what it could be.
Last year this eagle laid 8 or 9 eggs and they all broke. There had to be a reason for that.
As so often, questions over questions.
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Yeah, #2 at Sauces, 19A, fledged today at 9:09 in the morning! Good job! :2thumbsup:
Video made by Janntonne:
https://youtu.be/amKxjilmWIo
balistar

Post by balistar »

Taube, Bawet, Birdfriend, thanks very much :thumbs:

Yesterday, 30th, Corsair fledged and today 19A. That was fast.
Now 19A can take off if HP wants to attack her :laugh:

Video from Corsair's fledge 09-30-18, by Lady Hawk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdKJbXXXHUw

12:33 watch sister, just do it like I do :mrgreen:
Cessie

Post by Cessie »

Yes, Birdfriend! Very good news at Sauces Canyon!
:headroll: I’m so glad that the fledges have begun! It was getting mean on the nest, fighting over bits of food out of frustration. Flying will give the chicks some confidence and a lift!! :D
Hopefully the fishing will also improve.

Thank you, Bawet and Balistar and Taube for the updates!!
Bawet

Post by Bawet »

Mother put a fish in the nest for the youngest yesterday. Corsair came back into the nest and stayed the night.

Lubaska

Post by Lubaska »

I had open Sauces Canyon BEs to see if Corsair came back to the nest... and

:cry: one of the eaglets was holding a prey in the centre of nest and that prey (looked like a FOX! :bow: ) was moving its legs! But the eaglet started to tear the body just from the soft belly part.

Never seen anything like that... I have screamed loudly and closed the windows as soon as possible with my shaking hands. Oh boy. I will probably never open any BE cam in the close future :cry:

P.S. It was nauseating... I will take a pill probably :slap:
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Big Bear

The subadult makes again a visit on the nest. :D
Most likely he/she is around three years old.

Solo

Post by Solo »

SAUCES nest

Corsair 51/A flew back to the nest after falling out of the nest on 5/29 and took an intentional flight from the nest and back to the nest on 5/30.
19/A Fledged on 5/31 about 9:09AM leaving HP 08/A alone on the nest.

Female 08/A at the Sauces nest is now officially HP, thanks to Tim T.
Male 51/A at Sauces was officially named Corsair by John B.

The first Sauces eaglet hatched on 3/13 about 5:45 PM and the second hatched on 3/14 about 7:45 AM. Egg #3 was confirmed hatched about 11:20 PM 3/16

Eaglets banded on 5/1. Banded with orange bands 08/A (Female), 19/A (Female), and 51/A (Male)

(source: https://explore.org/livecams/disqus/cha ... bald-eagle)
Solo

Post by Solo »

Lubaska wrote: June 2nd, 2018, 6:51 pm I had open Sauces Canyon BEs to see if Corsair came back to the nest... and :cry: one of the eaglets was holding a prey in the centre of nest and that prey (looked like a FOX! :bow: ) was moving its legs! ...
Jeanette Lewis lalee • 3 hours ago The parents brought in two foxes today - one baby and one adult. You might be seeing the fur remnants.
Jeanette Lewis lalee • 3 hours ago The baby was still alive and it was pretty grisly, I had to turn it off. The adult was already dead when the eagle brought it in. (:cry: )
Janntonne• an hour ago SC - Here's a video of the prey delivery bringing the fledglings home. Due to the sensitivity of the prey, I did not include any visuals of it. I did include a zoom in of Mom in the tree behind the nest https://youtu.be/UbDJKSBGhsk

(source: https://explore.org/livecams/birds/chan ... bald-eagle)
Cessie

Post by Cessie »

I’m so glad that I didn’t see the foxes brought to the nest! :slap:
I did see the fox tail and bones though.
I love the Island Foxes! They have been restoring them to the Channel Islands.
When I was wondering, the other day about why I haven’t seen a Cotton Tailed Rabbit or a Jack Rabbit brought in as prey, I was also thinking of the Island Foxes. I thought no worries because the foxes have sharp teeth and would possibly bite the Eagles feet or legs. Nature is nature though.
I’m sorry that you saw the poor fox, Lubaska! :cry:
I hope that this is a very rare happening. I’ve never heard of it before.
I do remember hearing in the past about a cat being brought in to a Bald Eagles nest, not on the Islands but somewhere else. I didn’t see it nor watch a video, I think that it was most likely road killed and brought in dead. Which is not a bad thing.

Birdfriend, thanks for the picture of the sub adult eagle at Big Bear! :wave:
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

BIG BEAR

JUNE 4th , 05:00 NT

Stormy is still with us!

He was sleeping on Mom's branch, alone like a big boy :thumbs: Before first light he flew away to look for his breakfast.
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Cessie wrote: June 3rd, 2018, 10:09 am ...
Birdfriend, thanks for the picture of the sub adult eagle at Big Bear! :wave:
With pleasure, Cessie! :wave:
Lubaska

Post by Lubaska »

Solo wrote: June 3rd, 2018, 9:24 am Jeanette Lewis lalee • 3 hours ago

I had tried to express my shock and fear and discomfort when posting my comment, so I dont need any videos to prove what I saw in those 3 seconds. :shock:
Lubaska

Post by Lubaska »

Eaglet in the Bald Canyon has fallen from the nest.

It is visible, moving in the "basement". It will be task for parents to feed it.

Return to “Eagles”