Black Eagles nest in South Africa - 2015

All eagles except White-tailed and Spotted Eagles
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Re: Black Eagles nest in South Africa - 2015

Post by Felis silvestris »

No stream :bash: - camera ran out of solar power ...
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

:hi:
Egg No 1 started to hatch.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Yes, there will be soon a new eaglet.
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

Progress of hatching.
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

First eaglet is out of the egg shell.

Video by sunflowerAB321 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbufFXe ... e=youtu.be
Bea

Post by Bea »

Happy to see this one - with mixed emotions seeing the pip in the second egg.
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

I have my doubts about a second one. Hatch time was actually 25th, this hatched on 29th. If we are lucky, the other one was not fertile and does not hatch.

Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

Felis silvestris wrote:I have my doubts about a second one. Hatch time was actually 25th, this hatched on 29th. If we are lucky, the other one was not fertile and does not hatch.
Yesterday I saw the beak moving inside the egg no 2, so I think it may hatch.
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

The second egg has hatched
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

I just read it ... they have hatched very close to each other. It will definitely be interesting to see how chicks hatching so close together will do. But - be warned, it is not very likely and the cainism of Black Eagles is really cruel to watch!

Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

One of the eaglets disappeared. When cam went on at 12:11, there was only one chick.

I haven't seen any aggression between siblings. It seems that eaglet passed away during the night of natural causes.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Seems to have happened very fast, the project also seems not sure as the cam was down during the relevant time in the morning.

On Facebook they wrote:
There are two possible scenarios. One is that the normal cainism happened during the night or early this morning. The other is that you might have noticed that the one chick kept pretty much to himself, and according to Bo, the female might have purposely left it out during the night to freeze to death.Due to the cam being down in the morning, I suppose we will never know. (Johann van den Berg)

Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

New update on FB
Dear Black Eagle Watcha,

We were all so excited, sitting on the edge of our seats with eyes glued to the Africam webcam screen in anticipation to get a glimpse of the eggs hatching on 25th and 29th May respectively! All clean-cut and run-by-the-book, some observing the process for the first time whilst others have been witnesses to countless hatching occurences.

Especially when urban birds of prey is involved, I’m usually fairly reluctant to “count my chickens before they hatch” as various factors may contribute to scenarios going pear-shaped when you least expect it!

At Roodekrans, any breeding season may start haphazardly as the most crucial period of the entire breeding attempt is the incubation period. If there is a hiccup during incubation, it may trigger an entire failure with dire consequences. Having thus stuck out my neck and providing you with provisional dates, even I after 25 years of Black eagle observations, managed to get it all mixed up!

Here is an account of what really happened:

Laying of eggs was on 11th and 15th April respectively.
Hatching of eggs was on 29th and 30th May respectively (usually four days apart).
Cainism or sibling aggression may commence during the hatching of second egg or immediately thereafter and no aggression was evident during the three days that chick 2 lived side by side with its sibling on the nest.
On Monday 1st June, BEPR project member Joey Preis took a “snapshot” of the chicks and female at 16h58 and although chick 1 was tucked under the breast of the female, chick 2 was about 15-20cm away against the rock face. Although the female tucked it in a little later, not all appeared well on the nest.
At 13h49 on Tuesday 2nd June another webcam “snapshot” was taken by Johann van der Berg, showing only one chick on the nest with no sight or sign of chick 2.

As no natural sibling aggression was observed during any given time by chick 1 to chick 2, it can never be excluded that the female may have contributed to the demise of chick 2 as BEPR member Joanne Meyer, saw the female occasionally pecking chick 2 on Monday 1st June that may have resulted in the chicks death during the night.

When the weaker chick (neither chick showed visible weakness) is dead, the female will tear it to pieces and feed it to chick 1 and herself, leaving nothing to waste and as the remains of the dead chick provides essential protein to the surviving chick, it sounds harsh, but it’s all about the natural selection of the strongest that survives. In this instance it is clearly not about the strongest survivor, but it is quite probable that both adult eagles were not in a position to raise two chicks to juvenile and fledgling stages.

Now we have one chick on the nest that should remain there until it fledges by 31st August having then spent 92 days on the nest. A lot to look forward to and judging by the amount of prey being delivered to the nest – a rabbit and a guineafowl on Thursday one day before the first chick hatching – the hunting thereof appears to be in good hands...err...talons

Kind regards,

Boudewijn van der Lecq
Black swan

Post by Black swan »

Thank you Mamicja, for posting that update...
Mamicja wrote: ... as BEPR member Joanne Meyer, saw the female occasionally pecking chick 2 on Monday 1st June that may have resulted in the chicks death during the night.
:slap:

Sometimes I see large differences between cam-watchers and BEPR statements there, unfortunately.

an answer:
quote FB page:

"Asleepnomore Birdwatcher:
That's an interesting observation about Em "pecking" at one chick. One One which none of the webcam chatters ever saw or mentioned. We did & do, however, see Em constantly preening her babies, just as she did with Nessi, Jono & Jono's sibling in the previous seasons."
lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

:puzzled: ... something mystical... I doubt that mom Emoyeni would peck her babies, never previously have seen it.
We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings dominate nature, before they have learned to control themselves. -Albert Schweitzer
I have been studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called "lower animals" versus the traits and dispositions of man. The result humiliates me. - Mark Twain
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

Eaglet is 7 days old
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

Name the eaglet contest is announced @ http://www.africam.com/wildlife/blackea ... ck_contest

Eaglet is 16 days old.

Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

Eaglet is 22 days old.
It seems to me, that it is not growing so fast as last year Jono. I reviewed my last year photo archives and found Jono bigger on July 5th (he was then 22 days old)
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

June 28th
Eaglet is 30 days old, but it looks so helpless.
14:33 Thulane tried to steal the prey, but Emoyeni was very alert and protected it. Video by sunflowerAB321 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6YJ_7V ... e=youtu.be

Feeding and poop shot on Emoyeni.

Janne+Ais

Post by Janne+Ais »

Does someone know how the voting for the name turned out?

Return to “Eagles”