About the Webcams, Food Supplies, etc

Webcams of eagles feeding during winter time
yarko

About the Webcams, Food Supplies, etc

Post by yarko »

LK Form members have asked
Answers - Mr.Looduskalender
Translation - Kuremari

1. How big is the distance between the "dinner table" and the perching tree?

The distance is about 100 metres.
look at the photo, the view is strait towards the second camera.
http://www.looduskalender.ee/node/1943

2. How high are the cameras located?

The camera from the photo is about 1 metre from the ground.
The perching tree is approximately 8 m high and the camera is about 1m higher.

3. How many hunters bring/shoot the food?

There is no special hunting involved with this project. There are several hunting clubs in Western Estonia.
On the 1st of September began the hunting season in Estonia. Since then all the leftovers including the
intestines were stored in cold houses.
Big amount of animals perish by accidents on the roads, it is the duty of hunters to clean up the roads. These animals are also stored for eagles. Just like the foxes and raccoon dogs which are shot during the hunting season.

Not one animal was or will be killed because of the eagles feeding project!

Eaglecam locates on the fen (madalsoo)
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
"I love not man the less, but Nature more." Lord Byron
unp

Post by unp »

I am totally confused. It seems to follow from the explanation that the second cam is somewhere within the red rectangle. The perch tree must be nearby. The most probable candidate is shown with an arrow. But that tree doesn't seem to be the perch tree.
second_cam_position.jpg
:help:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
yarko

Post by yarko »

LK forum members have asked.
Answers: Mr Looduskalender
Translation: Kuremari

1. What kind of eagle did we see on the perch tree?

Merikotkas (Haliaeetus albicilla)
White-tailed Eagle Haliaeetus albicilla, also known as the Sea Eagle, Erne (sometimes Ern)

2. Does Mr.Looduskalender expect eagles to feed while all those hooligan ravens are there?

Ravens are very cautious, clever and sharp-sighted birds. They lead the eagles to places where food is.
That works the same way in the wild ( ravens find carrion in a bog, so the eagles know that they will find food)
Sea Eagles prefer open eating places so it is possible that they will not feed in the current place.
When the weather turns colder and the water will freeze over, the food will be placed on the ice between the islet and the current feeding place.
Hope, this will benefit the eagles.
Then may happen, that ravens will start harassing the eagles who stay for too long at the dinner table.
In any case I believe that future will bring us interesting and exciting moments.
juta
Site Admin

Post by juta »

unp wrote:I am totally confused. It seems to follow from the explanation that the second cam is somewhere within the red rectangle. The perch tree must be nearby. The most probable candidate is shown with an arrow. But that tree doesn't seem to be the perch tree.
second_cam_position.jpg
:help:
I thought it was that tree. Today I saw there birds, but at the same time on closeup tree view there weren´t any birds.
unp

Post by unp »

Good morning!

I think I now have a more accurate idea about where the second cam is located and where the perch tree is. Though. If somebody tells me that this information is sensitive and might help potential vandals find the site and do something nasty I will drop this subject immediately. :nod:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

The location of the webcams and feeding grounds should not be publicised, of course, but we are interested in the relationship between the two cams. If you have any thoughts to share on that, we want to know, please, unp.
juta
Site Admin

Post by juta »

I have an idea! It´s to the right on the same side as feeding place and not visible through the cam.
unp

Post by unp »

Yes, I think Juta's guess is right.

The green line shows the same section of the lakeside. Snow helps to clearly see its outline. Looks different because of different heights of the cams. The trees in red circles must be the same group of trees. I still think the second cam looks due north and the main cam, east-northeast.

When we see an eagle on the perch tree looking in the lower left corner s/he is looking at the feeding place.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
urmas

Post by urmas »

unp wrote:Yes, I think Juta's guess is right.
The green line shows the same section of the lakeside. Snow helps to clearly see its outline. Looks different because of different heights of the cams. The trees in red circles must be the same group of trees. I still think the second cam looks due north and the main cam, east-northeast.
When we see an eagle on the perch tree looking in the lower left corner s/he is looking at the feeding place.
Hi!
You arrived to almost right conclusion! Think it is a bit further as on comparative images shown, but direction is right. Both cameras are on same bank of water body. 100m through wide angel lens seems to be much further as looking by eyes...
unp

Post by unp »

urmas wrote: Hi!
You arrived to almost right conclusion! Think it is a bit further as on comparative images shown, but direction is right. Both cameras are on same bank of water body. 100m through wide angel lens seems to be much further as looking by eyes...
Hi Urmas! I think that the two cams and some point on the opposite bank (possibly a group of trees I marked on one of the pics, it's difficult to be sure it's the same group because of the difference in viewing angles) form an equilateral triangle. I also understood from the previous explanation that 100 m was the distance between the two cams.

But how did this post get here? I began to write it while in 'About the Web Cams...'

Are we playing football or volleyball? Or lawn tennis?
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

unp wrote:...I also understood from the previous explanation that 100 m was the distance between the two cams.
But how did this post get here? I began to write it while in 'About the Web Cams...'
Don't know the names of these games.
But the other cam is situated after pine trees in left upper corner.
Urmas
merikotkakaamera-01.jpg
unp

Post by unp »

Thank you for the explanation, Urmas. Sorry about the names of the games. That's what I felt being moved between topics together with the post I was writing (this is not to blame anyone, just describing the feeling) :smile:
Martin

Post by Martin »

unp wrote: But how did this post get here? I began to write it while in 'About the Web Cams...'

I accidentally moved it, hopefully it is in the correct place now :D , sorry for the confusion :bow:
unp

Post by unp »

:D Thank you, it's OK.
yarko

Post by yarko »

some 'fresh' info from Mr Looduskalender:

Five eagles have visited feeding place so far.

Cameras - technical improvements on the way - new objectives etc.
There is a plan to test night cam´at feeding place.

Food - only intestines so far, not 'whole' animal. When it gets cold food will be served on ice, not on the 'table'
Kuremari

Post by Kuremari »

:2thumbsup: this i call good news!
our days a too short for webcam addicts!
:bow: just great
unp

Post by unp »

urmas wrote: Hi!
I have two questions for Urmas, with all respect due:

1. What's the meaning of 'almost', or where I was wrong?
2. Are there any news from Sweden about DNA results (for the storklets' gender) or when can this be expected? :-|

Old habits die hard, so I give two more links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFZJxOWfslA (0:21 to 2:07)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ-hnn1U ... re=related
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

unp wrote:I have two questions for Urmas, with all respect due:

1. What's the meaning of 'almost', or where I was wrong?
2. Are there any news from Sweden about DNA results (for the storklets' gender) or when can this be expected? :-|
You could not to read that word "almost"...
Storklets genders are determined and probably I wrote about in HWC. Exactly do not remember about writing, but all the storklets in Cam Nest were (and for Big and Little hope, are) girls.

Urmas
unp

Post by unp »

kotkaklubi wrote: You could not to read that word "almost"...
Storklets genders are determined and probably I wrote about in HWC. Exactly do not remember about writing, but all the storklets in Cam Nest were (and for Big and Little hope, are) girls.

Urmas
Thank you for your answer.
1. In most cases, I read everything that is written like I hear everything that is said in my presence. Can't help it.
2. Unless my memory fails me the last thing written at Hancock's about chicks' gender was that (sorry if I don't remember right) according to preliminary tests by Ove (misspelt I'm afraid) all were girls. I assumed that there would be final tests, be it in Estonia or in Sweden like before.
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

About genders of storks we handled this year:
Eagle Club member, Dr Ülo Väli (again difficult, but easy Estonian name) analysed 37 BS samples (incl. trapped adults) of current year:
20 males
16 females (incl. Big, Mid and Little)
1 not determined (bad sample)

Urmas

Return to “Eagles Winter Webcams Forum”