Maybe vainamoinen will help ?
Biker

Post by Biker »

17:37 - 17:44

Marten

*Please don't feed the trolls!*
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Nice catches, Biker, are this cams still open!
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

The marten has brought a lunch packet up and has lunch on the side of the nest :laugh:

“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Biker

Post by Biker »

14:35
leftovers for the great tit
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

great pictures from the Marten. :thumbs:

I forgot this webcam is still open :mrgreen:
lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

October 31, 2015

We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings dominate nature, before they have learned to control themselves. -Albert Schweitzer
I have been studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called "lower animals" versus the traits and dispositions of man. The result humiliates me. - Mark Twain
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

November 2

Sometimes I check the LK cams that are officially closed but that are still working. Just to check if there is anything interesting to see or hear.
Yesterday morning I opened this Buzzard cam. Nothing there, as usual, it is a very quiet wood, but suddenly I heard a trumpet :shock: That was a surprise! What could that be? It was just one and sometimes to notes played now and then. Then soon after I heard several dogs barking so I thought: maybe they are going fo a hunt, I might see them. Probably they are gathering, having a drink and someone it just practising and fiddling a bit with his trumpet. But after more than a hour they still hadn't left so I left the cam.

Late last night I checked again and the trumpet was stll there! So no hunting party. What is it then? There must be a trumpet somewhere in that wood, just lying there or hanging in a tree, left there by accident. The wind just happens to blow in the thing every now and then :laugh:
This morning it is still playing, there is still some wind. Unfortunately I can't record it.
Just check the cam. Be patient, it will play at random, of course :D
But it could also be something else of course. Maybe some special Latvian thing.... :unsure:
It could also be a thing to warn off boars from the crops...?
http://pontu.eenet.ee/player/hiireviu.html
Anyone?

I posted this on the WT forum and Felis also thought it may come from the farm close by but not for keeping boars away. He says the corn crops are harvested.
ame

Post by ame »

i copied the rest of the relevant posts concerning Marfo's observation from the Juras-Erglis to here and removed them from J-E because they were, as Marfo wrote, slightly off-topic there.
02 Nov 2015, 13:19 Janne+Ais wrote:Interesting. Nobody any idea? :puzzled:
On 02 Nov 2015, 14:34 Marfo wrote:It could also be a thing to warn off boars from the crops...?
Anyway it is probably too much off topic. But at least you heard it too. Some people seem to think sometimes I am hearing things that cannot be there.... :rotf:
On 02 Nov 2015, 16:07 Felis silvestris wrote:My guess - it came from the farm. As I have written in my introduction in spring - viewtopic.php?p=362518#p362518 - the next farm is quite close, only 200 m away. I don't think any corn is left to be harvested in November which makes it necessary keeping boar away.
On 02 Nov 2015, 16:26 Marfo wrote:Thanks Felis! So what could it be for then if not for keeping the boars away from the crops? They eat all sorts of things. Sugar beet? But Maybe Latvia is too cold now to grow anything. But it is a peculiar thing, this trumpet sound :nod:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Marfo - the buzzard nest is in Estonia (and this whole forum here is an Estonian forum! The Latvian cams are guests here). I looked, in Estonia sugar beets cultivation has gone towards nil in the mid-nineties (http://knoema.de/atlas/Estland/topics/L ... rr%C3%BCbe - in German). I would not know of any other product harvested that late in year, it is November, temperature has partly dropped below 0° during nights, in such a northern country.
Maybe the farmer's son got a trumpet and exercised over the weekend?
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

Marfo

Post by Marfo »

Felis silvestris wrote:Marfo - the buzzard nest is in Estonia (and this whole forum here is an Estonian forum! The Latvian cams are guests here). I looked, in Estonia sugar beets cultivation has gone towards nil in the mid-nineties (http://knoema.de/atlas/Estland/topics/L ... rr%C3%BCbe - in German). I would not know of any other product harvested that late in year, it is November, temperature has partly dropped below 0° during nights, in such a northern country.
Maybe the farmer's son got a trumpet and exercised over the weekend?
Oops! Of course it is Estonia, I should know that, sorry!
The farmers son must be very persistent if he practices for two days and till at least 2o'clock in the morning :laugh:
Well it is only guessing, we'll never know, no matter.

You may delete these posts, if you like, it is of no interest.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

:rotf: Maybe a Halloween party?

As we are "on topic" here, and the buzzard is still Estonian bird of the year, we can keep the stuff here, and maybe an Estonian member sees our bewilderment and can shed light on it. Who knows, maybe you are right after all and there is still something out there which needs protection from wild boar?

Fleur

Post by Fleur »

November 6
:hi:

21:33 beautiful song from Tawny Owl, I think female.

I have this cam open because the red deer cam has a problem with the batteries
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

November 7

:hi:
18:49 sound from...I don't know

Marfo

Post by Marfo »

Fleur wrote: 18:49 sound from...I don't know
bizar... no idea...
Biker

Post by Biker »

poop shot
Image :mrgreen:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Looks like the marten using the nest for his picnics has left a marker there :rotf:

Marfo

Post by Marfo »

November 12 0:43

Cam is off.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

I suppose slowly all the cams will be turned off and collected. It was a good time with the buzzards, I enjoyed watching them and learning more about the birds which I have seen all my life, but have not known much about. It was a pleasure to be part of the buzzard year, suur tänu to everyone, and tuult tiibadesse to all our buzzards!

Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Will we see this cam maybe in the next season again?
It was a beautiful time with the both buzzard families. :thumbs:
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature

Return to “Buzzard Webcam Forum”