Buzzard Cam 2016 ~ Mari and Mihkel

Bird of the year in 2015
Hagnat

Re: Buzzard Cam 2016 ~ Mari and Mihkel

Post by Hagnat »

July 10

Buzzard camera ends transmission
We always continue hoping to see the nest inhabitants visiting the birthplace. But for buzzards the ties to the nest break at once on leaving (although certainly there may be exceptions).

http://www.looduskalender.ee/n/en/node/496

But the cam is still working.
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

Last year this cam worked until the 12th of November although it was officially closed. We'll see. But without sound it is less interesting.
aquiline

Post by aquiline »

Thanks again everybody involved in the work for these buzzards (and all other birds) :loveshower: it's been a wonderful time watching the chicks growing and getting strong.

Hope to see you all next year
:wave: :wave: :wave:
Hagnat

Post by Hagnat »

A very often occurring situation but usually missed is when the father delivers a prey and flies away almost immediately and mother arrives within seconds to help with the feeding or to watch if everything goes well (or to protect the young?). She often calls when she comes and as long the male is on the nest. As if she is chasing the male away.
Most of the times the parents are not seen together on the nest or only for a very short time. Literally seconds. It happens so quick that it is almost only visible in slow motion. Very easy to miss while watching the cam and little chance to see it captured in the archived pictures.
A result is also that the one who brings the food can be wrongly identified because only the second adult, the female, is noticed. Perhaps this explains questions earlier in the season where the father was or how long ago the father was seen.
It also shows that the mother is often near the nest and is observing what is going on there. Invisible to us.
aquiline

Post by aquiline »

Hagnat, you are a very acute observer. :nod: :nod: :nod: Thanks very much
Hagnat

Post by Hagnat »

In have updated my post about the food. See viewtopic.php?p=484594#p484594
Janne+Ais

Post by Janne+Ais »

Hagnat wrote:Thank you all. I am glad to see that it is appreciated by some....
Oh yes! By me too!!! :thumbs:
Thank you!
UlrikaS

Post by UlrikaS »

The camera is on. :rolleyes:
Thank's all of you for the work, comments, pictures and all. Its fantastic that just because a friend told me about the WTE in the early season I also found the buzzards and the BS. I'm totaly hoked on all this birds! :loveshower:
The statistics from Hagnat is superduper interesting! Good work!!!

Love to learn from mother Nature.
Hagnat

Post by Hagnat »

Another aspect

Distribution of deliveries of food over the day in June.
Total numbers per hour (10 is between 9 and 10 o'clock)

The sharp peak between 17 and 18 is mainly caused by the unusual number of deliveries during that hour on July 12 (7 worms and one vole).
In 70% of the hours with deliveries was one delivery, in 22% two, in 8% three. There were single cases of four and eight deliveries in one hour.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

UlrikaS wrote:The camera is on.
Although officially ended, it will stay on. The "official end" just means that there won't be updates, the link has been removed from the main page and should the transmission break, nobody will go and repair it. The camera will send pictures until later in the season, when all the birds are ringed, have fledged and left and the men from Kotkaklubi have a bit more time, somebody has time to collect the parts of the camera system which can't stay or are needed somewhere else.
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Hagnat

Post by Hagnat »

Felis silvestris wrote:Although officially ended, it will stay on. The "official end" just means that there won't be updates, t...
Archiving stopped at 2016-07-05 23:59
Solo

Post by Solo »

Hagnat wrote: Another aspect Distribution of deliveries of food over the day in June. ....
TY Hagnat :2thumbsup: , interesting perspective
savvy

Post by savvy »

Hi,
a bit late, but if here's still somebody who's interested - the news from the lab are, that this year's chicks appeared to be males.
lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

savvy, thank you! :hi:
We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings dominate nature, before they have learned to control themselves. -Albert Schweitzer
I have been studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called "lower animals" versus the traits and dispositions of man. The result humiliates me. - Mark Twain
Hagnat

Post by Hagnat »

savvy wrote:Hi, a bit late, but if here's still somebody who's interested - the news from the lab are, that this year's chicks appeared to be males.
I am always interested in facts. Thank you for the news.
Janne+Ais

Post by Janne+Ais »

savvy wrote:Hi,
a bit late, but if here's still somebody who's interested - the news from the lab are, that this year's chicks appeared to be males.
Oh yes, very interested, thank you! :thumbs:
So my guess (younger = male, older = female) was 50% wrong and 50% right. :mrgreen:
Hagnat

Post by Hagnat »

Janne+Ais wrote:...So my guess (younger = male, older = female) was 50% wrong and 50% right. :mrgreen:
It shows again how careful you must be with interpretations.
Here the measurements taken during ringing on June 6. viewtopic.php?p=474178#p474178
Remember there was almost 3 days (66 hours) difference in age. That is a lot at that age.
Janne+Ais

Post by Janne+Ais »

Hagnat wrote:It shows again how careful you must be with interpretations.
Here the measurements taken during ringing on June 6. viewtopic.php?p=474178#p474178
Remember there was almost 3 days (66 hours) difference in age. That is a lot at that age.
My guess came just from their behaviour and by the seat of my pants. Nothing scientific. :laugh:
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

savvy wrote:Hi,
Thank you! Facts come never to late, they are always interesting. :wave:
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
Hagnat

Post by Hagnat »

Janne+Ais wrote:My guess came just from their behaviour and by the seat of my pants. Nothing scientific. :laugh:
That is what I mean. Sexing somebody on the seat of its pants is not always reliable. In the past is was easy: when it wore pants it was a male, no matter what the seat looked like. Still earlier males wore no pants but always a big club, while dragging a female to a cave. :-)

Return to “Buzzard Webcam Forum”