About pictures.

Bird of the year in 2015
Jo UK
Site Admin

About pictures.

Post by Jo UK »

Off-topic posts will be moved from : Buzzard Cam 2016 ~ Mari and Mihkel to this topic.
Hagnat

Post by Hagnat »

Today there are already 56 pictures posted.
Janne+Ais

Post by Janne+Ais »

Hagnat wrote:Today there are already 56 pictures posted.
It's crazy. I set the ignore function on this person.
Hagnat

Post by Hagnat »

Hagnat wrote:When you watch the cam you see more and more beautiful pictures and in greater detail.
Or browse the archive and you will see the same pictures but much larger and sharper.
Kuutar wrote: :hi: Yes, of course, but unfortunately I have no much time to look at this camera.l
Well, look at this forum earlier in the season. Far more informative with far less pictures, even useful to people with time to watch the cam.
Nowadays to me this forum is almost unbearable. A flood of almost identical pictures and no real content. In the time you need to follow this forum you can lean more by watching the cam.
Janne+Ais

Post by Janne+Ais »

One can write the name into the field "manage foes" Some admin gave me this advice and I am very grateful for that. I have no time to look at all the pics at the end of a working day. I want to inform me about the most important happenings at a nest, but not fish after them between the flood of nondescript pics.
IceAge

Post by IceAge »

I find this discussion very unnecessary. Who don't wants to see the photos, they can ignore them. The most of us like the pictures.
*Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.* Albert Einstein
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

Hagnat wrote:It is a very easy solution to say to what you think is a minority: if you don't like it, ignore it. It is not the purpose of a forum to be ignored or to scare people away.
What is wrong with keeping the forum readable and informative in a way that people are not scared away?
Btw. With my first remark I didn't want to start a discussion, I only wanted a moment of reflection about what is happening. If you are happy, fine, but know that not everybody is happy.
I agree with both Hagnat and Janne+Ais.
One of the reasons I started following this forum was that it was still readable and informative. On another forum someone posted even 92 pictures in one day. It is difficult to sive interesting information if you have to wade through all these pictures. It also stops you really looking at them.
Please be a bit more selective when posting pictures.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Hagnat wrote:Yes, today you have today already dumped 33 pictures of hardly anything. It this forum about the Buzzards or about you?
Hagnat, you are very rude. :shock:

Maggy, thanks for all the Pictures and Reports :2thumbsup:
Hagnat

Post by Hagnat »

Hagnat wrote:Yes, today you have today already dumped 33 pictures of hardly anything. It this forum about the Buzzards or about you?
Liz01 wrote:Hagnat, you are very rude. :shock:
Maggy, thanks for all the Pictures and Reports :2thumbsup:
Maggy is the one who is rude.
Hagnat

Post by Hagnat »

Sappheira wrote:Hagnat :wave:

Your comments are well-grounded, but the shape and tone of the first reproach are very sharp. ...
It was not my first and not the first. I was sharp this morning because the earlier critical remarks by several people clearly made no difference at all. No sign of understanding of what was put forward. Usually people are sharing things of interest for the benefit of others, not to put them off. Ignoring the signs of real displeasure and going on as if nothing happened is disappointing, to say the least.
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

Jo UK wrote:This irrational argument is becoming tedious and will need different measures if it continues.
If you think it is irrational and tedious what we tried to point out here and fail to see what we mean there is no point in moving this discussion to another space. Not on my account anyway. All has been explained in a very clear way more than once.
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Did someone suggest a competition?
Some members post many pictures. Some post few or none.
Hagnat

Post by Hagnat »

Why would anyone looking in this topic for critical comments on what happens in a normal topic?
It is ignoring and hiding the problems again instead of working on it. The expressions of displeasure are not the problem but what is causing the dissatisfaction. Take that cause away and everything will be fine. (I don't mean taking persons away)
Do we also need a special topic for all the personal utterings, like telling each other how wonderful they are and how bad the connection is and how we have so little time to watch the cam?
juta
Site Admin

Post by juta »

Owlie wrote:Thank you mods,

you invite us to give constructive suggestions. And then you wipe the board from them. You win 6-0!

Hope you are happy!
I don´t quite understand "wipe the board from them" and "hope you are happy". I think it is not very kind.
As "too much pictures" has been in the air for some time, this topic is for conversation about it. Just criticism is not enough. More over, there are members who have another opinions.
We need suggestions. It is easy to say do not post too much.
So, how much is too much? How to deal with it? More rules? For instance: do not post more than once in a hour? 5 in a day?
What pictures qualify for posting and there are maybe more questions.
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

I observe this year each food delivery, and also the nesting material on the latvian BS Nest.
An ornithologist want to know it. It is important to determine, how the conditions of black storks are in the forests.
Is there enough food, is there are enough nesting material?? these are the questions!

I can the storks not say, that they not often than once a day an activity have at the nest, because there are some members who find that too much :laugh:

EDIT: the request was also to do it with pictures and times stampes.
IceAge

Post by IceAge »

I don't look to all pictures and read every post in each thread. That's impossible. But I can filter the important things for me.

I find it essential, that the rearing of the offspring be fully documented - as far as possible - because that is the whole point of the camera monitoring.
*Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.* Albert Einstein
Hagnat

Post by Hagnat »

Liz01 wrote:I observe this year each food delivery, and also the nesting material on the latvian BS Nest.
An ornithologist want to know it. It is important to determine, how the conditions of black storks are in the forests.
Is there enough food, is there are enough nesting material?? these are the questions!
EDIT: the request was also to do it with pictures and times stampes.
Liz, documenting the number and species of food items is functional and of interest. It is not at all comparable with what Maggy does.

IceAge wrote:I don't look to all pictures and read every post in each thread. That's impossible. But I can filter the important things for me.

I find it essential, that the rearing of the offspring be fully documented - as far as possible - because that is the whole point of the camera monitoring.
Iceage, that you say that it is impossible to look at all the pictures shows that there are too much of them. Nobody can watch this number and probably no one ever will watch them. So there is no point in flooding a topic with hundreds or even thousands of pictures of what we see all the time. That way they only occupy space and hide what is happening instead of showing it.

Documenting of what is happening is fine but Maggy every 'ten minutes' posts tree screendumps that mostly shows nothing of interest and they look all pretty much the same, not only of each other but they are also very much the same as the three pictures in her previous post and the ones before that and the ones in previous days.
And don't forget that there is already an archive with pictures and videos accessible to everyone interested. There is no point in duplicating that in a forum.
I advised already earlier to watch the buzzard forum as it was earlier in the season. I think most watched events were documented then, in words, pictures an videos and it is still accessible and readable. Then it wás possible to look at all pictures and be informed.
Hagnat

Post by Hagnat »

Some practical advise

The first thing you have to ask yourself as a contributor to the forum is: is what I see on the cam worth sharing on the forum? Do you think others could be interested in it? ('Number three looked at number two').
The second is: is it necessary or worthy to illustrate my observation with one or more pictures or is just a comment enough? Pictures occupy a large visual space and when in great numbers can hide what is happening instead of showing it, especially when the pictures are insignificant.
Then the question of whether you have pictures or not illustrating what you are writing and if they are showing it clearly enough. And if so, is one picture enough or do I really need more to show my point? And how recently is this behaviour already shown in the forum?
In short: Don't add pictures when there is no need for it. Always be selective.
There are regular posters here who never or seldom add pictures to their posts, but their contributions are valuable nevertheless. Often more so than messages with pictures.

In general you must not forget that posting full computer screen pictures reduced to a size within the allowed maximum width of 800 pixels shows much less than possible and probably much less than you saw it yourself. Also bear in mind that usually most of the screen is of no interest anyhow. Usually the activity is in the limited space of the nest.
The solution to this problem is cropping pictures to the area of interest. Most picture viewers/editors offer the option to crop pictures. The big advantage of cropping is that you can show only the area of interest but usually in the original size. It is just a part of the original picture. That way a picture often can be within the set limit, while still showing the original detail. Sometimes it is even possible to enlarge such crops and still keeping within the limit.
Look for example to these cropped pictures and compare them with the full pictures on the same page:
viewtopic.php?p=472388#p472388
For me personally it is very rare to post the complete screen. There must be a special reason to do so.
When you know how to crop it takes no more time than reducing the size of a full one to the limit.

Another issue is why there is often such a 'race' to post. People who are reading the forum as it happens can watch it by themselves on the cam. If it is for the benefit of people who are not able to watch the cam (all the time) by daylight, there is no need to hurry because they are reading it later anyhow. So you have plenty of time to watch the event on the cam evolving and to prepare and post a good message about it. And if it happens that somebody else was quicker to cover the event, so be it. No need for duplication by you, unless your covering is better or very different. It happens to me often that I have worked for nothing because someone else was quicker. But at least I have given others a chance to be quicker.
And if your time is limited, as is often argued, slowing down gives you the opportunity to post when you have the time to post, for example when the cam shows nothing of interest. If your observation is worth mentioning, it is not only worth so at this very moment but also later.
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

Well said, Hagnat, nothing to add. Not only in this last post.
Good idea to tell people about cropping. Hopefully it will be of use to other members. It would make the forum (visually) far more attractive and informative. At least more 'readable' than this 'visual blablabla'.

Return to “Buzzard Webcam Forum”