About pictures.

Bird of the year in 2015
Marfo

Re: About pictures.

Post by Marfo »

ame wrote:do you crop pictures in the Bucket (i.e. cut them)?
Yes. It is under 'edit' also.
ame wrote:i thought (and tried to write) that the Bucket rescales the pictures (makes them smaller) during the upload process, if the users setting allow it. one does not need to shrink the pictures before uploading.
Yes, P.B does rescale. But in my case (I don't know how it is with others, it depends on screen resolution) the screenshot of the whole screen is still too large after that. So I crop and/or rescale the picture after that depending on which part I want to show.
But if it is needed to copy/paste the time stamp on the cropped picture you do need another programme. F.B. doesn't do that.
ame

Post by ame »

i haven't even seen the edit-button in the Bucket before! :slap: :rotf:

i do all my editing at home before uploading.
(edit: i tried the Bucket-editor. it is far too slow for me and not practical at all. i'll continue with Paint. i can do more stuff with it and much more quickly.)

about the rescaling during upload: check this out.
http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss54 ... tings3.jpg

you can set the size in the Settings - Upload. one choice there is exactly the correct size. :nod:
Hagnat

Post by Hagnat »

Again I have a lot of repetition to do. Repeating myself and others in the same or different words, so less time to keep an eye on cams.
The problem is already explained on day one and is repeated many times since. Somehow it does not stick.
ame wrote: viewtopic.php?p=474650#p474650
Hagnat, this forum is for those who watch the webcams, for them to make observations and comments on the events seen on them. lost eggs and young happen every season in front of these cameras so they belong here.
- Exactly, but when these realities occur the whole congregation starts to scream and yell and cry, and stops watching. And many readers do not watch cams anyway but only read forums because they have no time for cams. Sometimes they must get a very deformed idea of what is going on.
real readable content (like in books) is what i like, too, but it can be very difficult to reach for our non-English-skilled members.
- I was not talking about content like in books but about posting content. Posting about relevant things that you saw happening and others might have missed and could be interested in, or to make others interested in. Pictures to illustrate such events, pictures wherein the event is clearly show even without text, pictures just because they a remarkable, beautiful or funny without being objects of special scientific interest. Often only a couple of words is enough to give some explanation or context.

But the problem is in the flood of pictures without any remarkability, and those endlessly repeated, hour after hour, day after day. (the (in)famous "visual blablabla"). This endless volume and repetition would also be too much when the pictures contained some value.
i think i have an opposite opinion about why people come here: i think that people come and post here to satisfy their personal needs in the first place, and not to serve others. serving others before oneself is a very noble aspiration, but alas not the primary motivation of many of us. i think it's only realistic to admit this.
- Yes, I like it to learn thing by watching webcams. And I like it to show others what I think is notable or characteristic in what I observe in the cams. And I like it to answer questions. Sharing my knowledge with people who don't know. Does this make me evil, a wannebe dictator, egoistic? Or are it qualities you need 'to increase general knowledge about nature among our members'?

If you want to 'increase general knowledge about nature among our members' you must have something to offer other than a flood of nondescript pictures about nothing and (consequently) no other information than a timestamp.
They probably will learn more from unguided watching a webcam.
what are the personal needs then? i suppose there are about as many as there are members...
- Yes, but still you tell part of that people that when they don't like what is happening they can f* off or that other measures will be taken. A real shame, making the pretensions ('increase knowledge') not very credible.
could you describe what is the "practical" or "proper use" of the forum which you have in mind?
- It is not my forum and it are not my members. I am just a cam watcher an contrubuting member. When you think that the only aim a handful of megaposters is, then the practical and proper use is to post as many nondescript pictures and emoticons as you like and avoid any form of written text.

BTW. I also have to write in a language foreign to me and in most cases I also have to use Google Translate when I want to read the Latvian forum. Google does not cope with it very good, but usually enough for me to understand.
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

Hagnat wrote:They probably will learn more from unguided watching a webcam.
Or from a video. They are sorely missed on the Buzzard forum.
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

you can set the size in the Settings - Upload. one choice there is exactly the correct size
Thank you ame, but it is not I who needs help with cropping and resizing.
And you are right, Photobucket is very slow. That is one of the reasons I don't post pictures. By the time my picture is ready there are already 10 more or less similar pictures posted by the 'Fast Ladies'. So it is not that I am shy or inactive but I don't see the point in adding pictures that are already there. So I save myself the trouble.
Hagnat

Post by Hagnat »

Hagnat wrote:They probably will learn more from unguided watching a webcam.
Marfo wrote:Or from a video. They are sorely missed on the Buzzard forum.
Videos are often informative and take much less space on a forum page.
But people who only have time to watch in the evening always can watch video's from the archive. Four hours long each. Speed them up or browse through them and you can see a lot in a relatively short time.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

It looks as though this topic has run its course so it will be locked now.

If any member has any concerns, questions, suggestions either about this topic or generally about this forum, please do send PM to any admin. Your messages are welcome and will have sincere consideration.
Please, carry on enjoying the forum, as usual.

Return to “Buzzard Webcam Forum”