Buzzard cam 2017

Bird of the year in 2015
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Buzzard cam 2017

Post by Felis silvestris »

About our buzzard nest

For the 3rd year the camera at the buzzard nest in Tartumaa has started streaming.
In 2015 the Estonian bird of the year was the Buzzard. In Estonia three kinds of buzzards can be encountered: the Common Buzzard (Buteo buteo), found in Estonian all year round, the European Honey Buzzard (Pernis apivorus) breeding in Estonia during summer and the Rough-legged Buzzard (Buteo lagopus) wintering in Estonia. For this occasion two Common Buzzard nests were fitted with web cameras to be able to follow the nest life.

This nest is in the Tartu area, in a commercial state forest. A train line is not too far and a farm (with one or more barking dogs) about 200 m away.

Jürgen wrote about the history of the nest:

This nest was found in the spring of 2012 (at around 26th March) by myself. I suspect that at that year the pair had layed eggs already by that date.
In 2012, 3 nestlings were ringed in the nest. In 2013, 2 nestlings were ringed in the nest. During the winter between 2013 and 2014 a portion of the forest near the nest was cut down. In 2014, 3 nestlings were ringed in the nest.
The nest is in a spruce tree around half-way to the top (no official measurements have been made but I would say around 13 meters off the ground).
As we know, neither Mari or Mihkel have rings and ringed buzzards have never been spotted on this territory. Also something interesting I have noted about this pair is that they sometimes hunt quite far from their nest. I have spotted one of them nearly inside Tartu which means they went past at least one other buzzard territory.

About Common Buzzards:

Buzzards are medium sized birds of prey found almost all over in Europe and parts of Asia. The common buzzard measures between 40 and 58 cm in length with a 109–136 cm (43–54 in) wingspan and a body mass of 427–1,364 g. The colours vary from very light to very dark.
Buzzards become sexually mature with about 2 years and buzzard couples stay together a lifetime. They stay in one territory and can become up to 26 years.
Breeding starts in Central Europe from mid March, on average it is from around mid April. The female lays usually 2-3 eggs, size 56 × 45 mm weight 50–60 g. Colour white with reddish brown and greyish brown specks. The eggs are laid with gaps of 2 to 3 days.
Breeding time lasts 33 to 35 days, depending on the size of the clutch. Breeding starts later in bigger clutches.
The buzzard chicks stay for about 42 to 49 days in the nest before fledging. After that they will stay around the nest and will then follow their parents begging for food for around 6 to 10 weeks. After that they leave their parents' territory, but stay not too far away.

(source Wikipedia)

Introduction on Looduskalender: http://www.looduskalender.ee/n/en/node/1139

Camera links:

JW-Player: http://pontu.eenet.ee/player/hiireviu.html /
VLC and Android: rtsp://193.40.133.138/live/hiireviuv
iPhone/iPad: http://193.40.133.138/live/hiireviu/playlist.m3u8 and http://tv.eenet.ee/hls/hiireviu.m3u8 (works also with VLC)
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

On this nest, we could follow over the last two years the nest life of a Common Buzzard pair which got the names Mari (left) and Mihkel (right).

Image Image

In 2015 hey raised three chicks: Maxi, Midi and Maimu.

In 2016 two chicks hatched and Jürgen, who ringed the chicks in June, sent this photo:

After DNA tests showed that both chicks were male, they got the names Marek and Martin.
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Reserved

Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Reserved

Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Reserved

Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Reserved

Felis silvestris
Site Admin

I have locked the old topic. The cam is not yet officially on and not fully functional, as Urmas informed me, some repairs are necessary.

Marfo

Post by Marfo »

Thank you, Felis. We'll have to wait a bit longer.
I am curious if the Buzzards have already arrived :shake:
Hagnat

Post by Hagnat »

Last year the Buzzards first appeared on the nest on March 13.
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

Hagnat :hi:
Lang geleden!
Janne+Ais

Post by Janne+Ais »

Felis silvestris wrote:I have locked the old topic. The cam is not yet officially on and not fully functional, as Urmas informed me, some repairs are necessary.
Please, would you be so nice and set a link to the new topic in every old (closed) topics? I'm so stupid :slap: , I only find the new topic after weeks, by chance. :unsure:
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

Janne +Ais
It is quite simple: go to the top or the bottom of the page of the forum. There you see
Board index » Looduskalender » Buzzard Webcam Forum
(or another forum) , click on the forum name and then you see the list of the related fora, the older and newer ones.
Sappheira

Post by Sappheira »

Hello everyone! Me too, I hear the sounds of the forest, youpi !!! :shake:
Janne+Ais

Post by Janne+Ais »

Marfo, thank you! So did I. Therefore I'm here. But when I do not know, that there is a new topic, I will not look for it. It would be nice, if the mods give a little hint in the old topic (which I have subscribed), that I can subscribe the new one too. Normally I only read the topics, which I have subscribed.
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

Oh, of course, I see it now. I thought he wrote that he closed it on the old forum. Sorry :wave:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Janne+Ais wrote:Please, would you be so nice and set a link to the new topic in every old (closed) topics? I'm so stupid :slap: , I only find the new topic after weeks, by chance. :unsure:
You found it only 2 hours after I opened it. So far the camera is not even working, nothing is official until now, and please, also give me the chance to work on things! I do have a job and life besides the forum work and also only got to know about the camera late on the previous evening.
Janne+Ais wrote:Marfo, thank you! So did I. Therefore I'm here. But when I do not know, that there is a new topic, I will not look for it. It would be nice, if the mods give a little hint in the old topic (which I have subscribed), that I can subscribe the new one too. Normally I only read the topics, which I have subscribed.
You miss out on a lot of things if you only read topics you have subscribed to!

Janne+Ais

Post by Janne+Ais »

Felis silvestris wrote: You found it only 2 hours after I opened it. So far the camera is not even working, nothing is official until now, and please, also give me the chance to work on things! I do have a job and life besides the forum work and also only got to know about the camera late on the previous evening.

You miss out on a lot of things if you only read topics you have subscribed to!
O Felis, please, this was not meant to stress you! You make a great job! Thank you for that! I only suggested, whether you can leave a short notice in the old topic, before you shut it. Not more.
I cannot read all topics, even if I would want to. I simply do not have the time! I must reduce the daily workload. Sadly. :unsure:
sova

Post by sova »

How nicely we can see buzzards also this year.
Thank you very much. . . . :thumbs:
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Today I placed refurbished sensor to the Buzzard cam. It seems to work. Nest owners probably did not visit the nest, yet. There was no fresh twigs. Hopefully it happens soon.
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

Thank you, Urmas, for your work and this news!
I am certain many people, myself included, are looking forward to a great Buzzard season. Let's hope they come soon :nod:

BTW, I hear the 'trumpet' again... :laugh:

Return to “Buzzard Webcam Forum”