Latvian Black Storks 2015 - Zīle and Ozols

Black Stork nests in Latvia
Birdfriend

Re: Latvian Black Storks 2015 - Zīle and Ozols

Post by Birdfriend »

Thank you, Liz It was also my supposing. Zile and Ozols not prepared this nest for the next season. Maybe, they will not again come to this nest for a new breeding. Only my thinking.
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
PINKELUZA

Post by PINKELUZA »

:wave:

Good after noon.

The stork on the high branch.

[youtube]7uq5s5XT9J4?hd=1[/youtube] [youtube]zT6idNqHDuc?hd=1[/youtube]
Where there is a will, there is a way
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

14:12 a nuthatch. he flew to the parents branch :laugh:

baska

Post by baska »

Liz01 wrote:I suppose this is the actual owner of the nest.
He has the battle to the nest lost, to beginning on the breeding season.
He was there all the time. We saw him very often
I think he is without a partner
Ozols and Zile are gone, since 01 August.
Sad, that there is so little suitable breeding places gives. :shake:
Hello Liz :hi: That is the answer of the riddle !!!
This is the owner !

But I don't think that there aren't enough possibilities to build a nest.
In Latvia is pure natur, huge forests and a lot of old, strong and high trees.
The only thing is, to build a nest means work. Specially at the beginning.
I got the impression that the storks like to take the path of least resistance (like humans)
They rather risk a battle for it then building a new one. ( You can see it very often with white storks)
I even have seen them very often that they steal twigs out of the nest of their neighbours,
instead of looking for the twigs in the fields or woods by themselves !
greetings from Baska

We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings are controlling and dominating the nature, before they have learned to control themselves.
Albert Schweitzer
PINKELUZA

Post by PINKELUZA »

Great spotted woodpecker on visit.

[youtube]5YoktWstGPM?hd=1[/youtube]
Where there is a will, there is a way
vainamoinen

Post by vainamoinen »

baska wrote: But I don't think that there aren't enough possibilities to build a nest.
In Latvia is pure natur, huge forests and a lot of old, strong and high trees.
The only thing is, to build a nest means work. Specially at the beginning.
I got the impression that the storks like to take the path of least resistance (like humans)
They rather risk a battle for it then building a new one. ( You can see it very often with white storks)
I even have seen them very often that they steal twigs out of the nest of their neighbours,
instead of looking for the twigs in the fields or woods by themselves !
You has very optimistic view about nature in Latvia, baska. Of course, when compare with many Western European countries we have many huge forest but in last decades here are a lot forest cutting activities and plots of old forest are decreasing rapidly. So in our forests really are shortage of suitable places where black storks can build their nests.
asteria

Post by asteria »

vainamoinen wrote: You has very optimistic view about nature in Latvia, baska. Of course, when compare with many Western European countries we have many huge forest but in last decades here are a lot forest cutting activities and plots of old forest are decreasing rapidly. So in our forests really are shortage of suitable places where black storks can build their nests.
Estonian black stork Raivo successfully uses an artificial nest made by humans. The nests like of his may be also build in Latvia.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Thank you, Baska. Good to know that an experienced observer shares my opinion.
I knew immediately that it is neither Zile nor Ozols.
Ame has then make videos and GIF. Since I was quite sure.
I have the right wing, when they take off, of three storks compared. They were all different. It had to be a foreign stork.
Ozols behavior in the nest was quite different. Zile had a white spot on the neck.
Ozols and Zile were thinner.

I am aware that storks fighting for nests. As a rule, because there are too few breeding places. space for the storks.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

vainamoinen wrote: You has very optimistic view about nature in Latvia, baska. Of course, when compare with many Western European countries we have many huge forest but in last decades here are a lot forest cutting activities and plots of old forest are decreasing rapidly. So in our forests really are shortage of suitable places where black storks can build their nests.
vainamoinen, this is sad to read . But it's probably everywhere. We let little space for the animals. It only counts money :rant:
baska

Post by baska »

vainamoinen wrote:You has very optimistic view about nature in Latvia, baska. Of course, when compare with many Western European countries we have many huge forest but in last decades here are a lot forest cutting activities and plots of old forest are decreasing rapidly. So in our forests really are shortage of suitable places where black storks can build their nests.
Hello Vainamoinen :hi:
Sure, I'm comparing with the western europeen countries.
That is very sad, what you are reporting of the forest cutting activities. :cry:
So the mammonism has reached Latvia, too. :rant:
It won't take long time and the humans will have destroyed themselves by destroying the nature.
greetings from Baska

We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings are controlling and dominating the nature, before they have learned to control themselves.
Albert Schweitzer
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

August 9

:hi: there is a thunderstorm :shake:
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Liz01 wrote: But it's probably everywhere. We let little space for the animals. It only counts money :rant:
That is exactly my thinking. It is everywhere the same. The human is stupid until he destructs himself.
baska

Post by baska »

baska wrote:Hello Vainamoinen :hi:
Sure, I'm comparing with the western europeen countries.
That is very sad, what you are reporting of the forest cutting activities. :cry:
So the mammonism has reached Latvia, too. :rant:
It won't take long time and the humans will have destroyed themselves by destroying the nature.
And very probably that are foreign large-scaled enterprises who profit by your wood ! :rant:
greetings from Baska

Albert Schweitzer
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

15:48, -49, -50, What is that noise I hear, someone, something braking branches? :shock:
16:03 I think I heard the chopping of wood.
16:43 Yes, must be a man chopping wood :nod:
Hopefully he doesn't plan to chop the nest tree down…. :shock:
no, surely not.
raicu cristi

Post by raicu cristi »

Hello! ...:hi: ...In Romania do not are black storks. There are white storks. The man who sold the forests of foreign companies to clear forests. Non-governmental organizations have built nesting storks on poles. A long time ago in Romania storks nesting on the roof chimneys meaning. Of these original nests on chimneys, some are preserved and protected throughout Romania.
:slap: :rant: :shake:
...Who are you,...Durberts?...I Love You!...
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

this is so beautiful :innocent:

[youtube]watch?v=v4iMn5oDD1k[/youtube]

the Gif is from Murkjelis dabasdati.lv forums
the whole family :loveshower:

http://dabasdati.lv/forums/viewtopic.ph ... start=3400
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Great thanks, Liz and Murkjelis! So a nice video, but it makes me also a bit sad. Hopefully, we see again this black storks.
starfish

Post by starfish »

I have not been here since the babies left because I don't want bad news of any kind (coward, that I am.)
That is why I just saw the great nest debate.
Cutting down forests is of course a problem everywhere. Also, birds opting to occupy an existing nest instead of building a new one of their own seems to be counterproductive.
I would say, let's go with Esteria's report of Estonia providing artificial (human made) nests for stork families, who are looking for turn-key ready accommodations ! It seems the storks like them. So, let's build more.
Leaving everything to nature and commerce is not always the best way to go. Neither does not seem to care much about the individual. :whistling:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

:hi:

Yesterday there was again a signal of Ziluka (Upene)
this is the place where she is for days. It's a good place. :2thumbsup: Perhaps Ziluks is with her. Perhaps there are many young black storks at this place.

Baska took the picture.

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=2&start=240
starfish

Post by starfish »

Thank you Liz. It is indeed a beautiful place, probably with frogs and little fish galore and trees for shade and shelter.
I hope they are together, along with other storks of their generation. There is safety in numbers. Here is hoping that they find more happy places of refuge along their journey and travel safely back to Latvia next year. :loveshower:

Return to “Black Storks”