Latvian LSE Webcam ~ 2011

Lesser Spotted Eagles in Latvia
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Re: Latvian LSE webcam 2011

Post by Felis silvestris »

:wave: Good night Lussi! Let's hope that tomorrow will see a happy family united there!
There is a holiday in Germany, so I will be able to look in more than when I am at work.
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Felis silvestris wrote::wave: Good night Lussi! Let's hope that tomorrow will see a happy family united there!
There is a holiday in Germany, so I will be able to look in more than when I am at work.
Here too - me too :mrgreen:
alice44

Post by alice44 »

such excitement :loveshower:

lets hope Metra is back by dawns light.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

13 June
4:54 No adult in the nest
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Finally I saw the little chick move but still no adult. :cry:
alice44

Post by alice44 »

6:48

I cannot watch this anymore --even the beautiful bird song seems sad.
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

I had a wonderful yesterday, lunch & long visit with a friend, but it made me awfully tired so I did not log on last night. I missed all the excitement with the big bear in the forest, & the frustration of losing Tuuli's cam, & the adventure of Ugis determining that Mētra's eggs were not fertile & so placing a fertile, about to hatch German LSE egg into the nest. I could not log on earlier today as there have been 5 - 6 phone calls back & forth today about my mother, who suddenly fell into hysterical grief about my father's death 6 weeks ago. My heart went from happy & uplifted with my friend yesterday to sitting low in my chest today as I could do nothing to help my mom living so far away as I do. So I came to the cams about an hour ago & logged on to catch up & learned all the news. But now, I have been watching the little chick in Mētra's nest & saw it move a few times, but no papa & no mama have been around. I think I am broken hearted now tonight. I don't know if I can watch anymore if the parents don't come back. Macho was so wonderful to sit on the egg & be there when it hatched; he was a real hero, but now where is he? Where is Mētra? I don't hear either of them in the forest. How long can the tiny chick last being uncovered like this?
Kitty KCMO
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Sorry to hear about your mother. She made it through so many stresses -- probably just piled up and got to her.

I feel this little eagle hit me a bit like that.
It is just one pain too much, I hoped that maybe your message would say you had seen a parent. I went to the Latvian forum hoping for something, but from the translations I got they haven't seen an adult either. This shows that you can't always tell how things will be.

But maybe Metra will return and I will feel much more lighthearted.
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Good morning. this has been a very sad morning. The little chick was left alone for hours. I tried to find out something in the Latvian forum, but my translater was not very good. I wonder if Macho was in the nest, but could not feed, but I am not sure. All I now is that Ugis Bergmanis was in the nest and took the poor little chick with him, so the chick is saved I hope. There is a picture of it in Latvin forum.
http://www.dabasdati.lv/forums/viewtopi ... start=1550 page 66

I am so sorry that it would end like this for lovely Metra and Macho( they really got under my skin), but that is nature.
They will try again next year.
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Alice, thank you for your kind words.

I put the media player small to the side ot my screen as I read news. Macho came to the nest at about 7:58 & spent 20 minutes trying to figure out what to do for the little one. He had brought a big mole. He looked & looked, kind of pecked lightly at the baby (who moved a little sevveral times but was obviously very weak). Mach eventually rolled the remaining egg & then sat partially overthe egg & chick, but never enough to actually cover the chick & give it warmth. Finally, at 8:18, he flew away. Thebaby struggled from time to time, & I heard what sounded like a corvid or other predatory bird that got very cloeto the nest. It seemed to be honing in on the chick, & I could not watch anymore. I went to the bear cam. But now whe I checked back the chick was gone. I thought a horrible fate had come. I checked the Latvian forum & discovered that what i hoped for, the Ugis Bermanis would come & recuse the baby, had happened. There are photos to show this there. I feel so relieved about this. I don't know if the chick will survive, but it may have a chance now. Photos at the forum link below.

http://www.dabasdati.lv/forums/viewtopi ... start=1625
Kitty KCMO
Grieta

Post by Grieta »

Metra did not return, therefore it was decided to remove the chick from the nest.

In the Dabasdati forum my name is Vērotāja
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Thank you Grieta. I hope the chick makes it. I think this is a sad day.
edit: There are very nice people working with this birds, thank you for giving us all this special moments :bow:
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Thank you so much for the news -- it is the best that could be expected. I certainly hope that this little fighter flourishes with his next chance.

It is so interesting that Metra was frightened off, while Macho stayed and did his best.
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

When Macho came to the nest this morning, I took some pictures thinking I would see him help the little one, & he did try but needed extra help that did not come. So here are our last glimpses of the tiny chick. Poor Macho, he really was trying to figure out what to do, but his main job is to go get the food, not also keep baby warm all the time & feed baby as well.

Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

More:

Edit: I managed to reduce the size of the last photo at last! Now it is right.
Kitty KCMO
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Sorry for the size of that last photos, for some reason my program refuses to re-size it smaller. :blush:
Kitty KCMO
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I seem to remember that the males do not "know" about ripping up the prey for the tiny chicks (but maybe that was just owls). I certainly don't remember Koit feeding spot until he got older.

Kitty I saved one of those because he was so cute with the chick.
Grieta

Post by Grieta »

alice44 wrote: It is so interesting that Metra was frightened off, while Macho stayed and did his best.
Ugis says Metra disappeared hatching instinct, but Macho instinct to feed family remained.
In the Dabasdati forum my name is Vērotāja
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Grieta thank you for keeping us informed

and thank everyone for all the work with the eagles and the chick.
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

alice44 wrote:I seem to remember that the males do not "know" about ripping up the prey for the tiny chicks (but maybe that was just owls). I certainly don't remember Koit feeding spot until he got older.

Kitty I saved one of those because he was so cute with the chick.
No problem, Alice, I like to share them. Macho was such a trooper, he really tried to figure it out, & if Mētra had come back this morning, it would have worked out, I think. I wish now I had made a video, that 20 minutes as he did what he could-- he was just precious, so concerned about the chick.

Oh, & I managed to reduce the size of the last photo. And I too give thanks to those who worked to show us this nest & then to try to salvage the breeding effort by giving a foster egg. It was a good try.
Kitty KCMO

Return to “Lesser Spotted Eagles”