Latvian LSE Webcam ~ 2011

Lesser Spotted Eagles in Latvia
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Re: Latvian LSE webcam 2011

Post by Felis silvestris »

Good morning!

Oh my god, it was a shock when I just now opened the cam, actually to show my colleague the chick, and saw the empty nest!
I hope that Grieta maybe can tell us more, when she gets more news! How terrible for the Latvian eagles!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

OMG, I feared something like this! The fact that Grieta has not come to the nest this morning indicates she had a terrible scare. I hope she is not injured, better a mature bird survive to breed again next season, especially one that is as devoted a parent as this one. Now all our hopes will be pinned on Tuuli's & Remo's success with their (I think) first family effort.
Kitty KCMO
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

I just looked, there is a long text by Dr. Bergmanis in the Latvian forum, but as usual, the translator gets only a word here and there. But the sad news seems to be true, the chick was killed over night! :cry:
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

:bow: Please, Urmas or someone, contact Dr. Bergmanis & ask the details of what happened & see if Grieta is OK?
Kitty KCMO
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Felis silvestris wrote:I just looked, there is a long text by Dr. Bergmanis in the Latvian forum, but as usual, the translator gets only a word here and there. But the sad news seems to be true, the chick was killed over night! :cry:
I wondered if it would do better into German.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

This must leave their eagle team feeling rather depressed.
juta
Site Admin

Post by juta »

Kitty KCMO wrote:OMG, I feared something like this! The fact that Grieta has not come to the nest this morning indicates she had a terrible scare. I hope she is not injured, better a mature bird survive to breed again next season, especially one that is as devoted a parent as this one. Now all our hopes will be pinned on Tuuli's & Remo's success with their (I think) first family effort.
I saw one adult early in the morning.
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

I usually don`t log in at work, but now I had to check. It was not good news, as I feared. I can`t believe that this is happening :cry: I really hope everything is ok with poor Grieta and Gints. This has been some very, very sad days. Now we must hope that everything goes well for Tuuli and Remo.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

alice44 wrote: I wondered if it would do better into German.
No, I have tried that as well, what I can make out is, that immediately somebody drove out and found the nest empty, also no chick underneath, they suspect marten "kaadu" or "manupraat" whatever that is, Google does not know. Somehow it seems Grieta was agitated around 22.39 I think after that he talks about the ways of nature, some other chick that fell out of the nest and things like that.

Edit: have to start working now, actually have already translated the LK article form the front page and am late now! Will look in later again, sad greets! :wave:

Jakob_Est

Post by Jakob_Est »

Latvian forum link plz.
Poor chick :cry:
juta
Site Admin

Post by juta »

Jakob_Est wrote:Latvian forum link plz.
Poor chick :cry:
http://www.dabasdati.lv/forums/viewtopi ... 1&start=75
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
asteria

Post by asteria »

So the parents just left such a little one ALONE? How comes?
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
alice44

Post by alice44 »

asteria wrote:So the parents just left such a little chick ALONE? How comes?
A martin or something could have invaded the nest and threatened the parent too badly for it to stay. It seems to have happened before 4, before Juta looked anyhow.
asteria

Post by asteria »

alice44 wrote: A martin or something could have invaded the nest and threatened the parent too badly for it to stay. It seems to have happened before 4, before Juta looked anyhow.
A marten is not stronger than an eagle and of course it would be attacked, from google translater, however, I understood that the eaglet was left while the parents flew for prey. Klaara's egg two years ago was also stolen while she flew away.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

I don't think the chick was alone in the night.
I don't understand or can get the whole posting by Dr. Bergmanis in the Latvian forum translated
http://www.dabasdati.lv/forums/viewtopi ... 2&start=75
but I think it happened in the night, which is the reason, why we don't know what exactly happened. So far nobody understanding Latvian has been here, after all it's a working day - and Google translator and the one Grieta posted the other day - are not really helpful

alice44

Post by alice44 »

I cannot make heads or tails of my translation. Even the English is 40% Latvian (or something close -- who knows what google thinks it has done). It seems like it says something happened by 3:49.

:cry:
asteria

Post by asteria »

Felis silvestris wrote:I don't think the chick was alone in the night.
I don't understand or can get the whole posting by Dr. Bergmanis in the Latvian forum translated
http://www.dabasdati.lv/forums/viewtopi ... 2&start=75
but I think it happened in the night, which is the reason, why we don't know what exactly happened. So far nobody understanding Latvian has been here, after all it's a working day - and Google translator and the one Grieta posted the other day - are not really helpful
Perhaps they left the chick alone for a short time but if marten or whoever else was hiding and watching them nest like it was with Klaara, it reacted at once.
Bubo

Post by Bubo »

I understand only that it happen in night. There was a marten or maybe an owl :cry:
Not so easy to understand Latvian language...
Bubo Bubo
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

That's also as much as I understand and I have not found anything else. Not even a proper dictionary free in the Internet and we also have none.

Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Guess we will have to wait until Grieta has time to look in! :puzzled:

Return to “Lesser Spotted Eagles”