Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis Durbe 2021

White-tailed eagles in Latvia

Moderator: Moderators

ame

Re: Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis Durbe 2021

Post by ame »

now i think i got the number of the second eagle. H491. this is what mega2 saw on the eagle two days ago. :laugh:

ame

Post by ame »

11:56 the first eagle flew away.

Susanne

Post by Susanne »

Yeah, I found this in the forum regarding the ring/bandnumber: (sorry, I don't know how to post a link to this entry... I'll try to find that out later):

Hellem

Post by Hellem » October 26th, 2018, 5:55 pm
:hi: In chat verotaja and Ligzdas Garinš think that the ring number is maybe H491

EDIT:
Ziņa no Jāņa Ķ. - H491 , gredzenots šogad 29.05. DR Kurzemē kā vienīgais cālis ligzdā.
GT
Message from Janis K. - H491, ringed this year 29.05. DR in Kurzeme as the only chick in the nest.
https://forums.dabasdati.lv/viewtopic.p ... 10#p200610
ame

Post by ame »

one more picture.
- i wonder if these are good enough for Janis. :puzzled:

two days ago mega2 dug up the story of H491. she also got a better picture of the ring than i got. my recording was from screen and thus of bad quality.
https://forums.dabasdati.lv/viewtopic.p ... cd#p289056
mega2 wrote: June 17th, 2021, 11:59 pm atradu foruma pierakstos,ka šis skaistulis jau ir apmeklējis ligzdu un Jānis Ķuze ir sniedzis informāciju par viņu! Image

26.oktobrī 2018.gadā 16.59 dažas sekundes uz ligzdas zara uzturējās jauns ēglēns ar gredzenu uz labās kājas! Image

Jānis Ķuze informēja, ka H491,gredzenots 29.05.2017. DR Kurzemē kā vienīgais cālis ligzdā! Image
GT'ed:
"I found in the forum posts that this beauty has already visited the nest and Jānis Ķuze has provided information about her! Image
On October 26, 2018, at 16.59 seconds, a new eagle with a ring on his right leg was on the nest branch! Image
Jānis Ķuze informed that H491, ringed on 29.05.2017 in SW Kurzeme as the only chick in the nest!
"
ame

Post by ame »

Vērotāja got a fairly good picture of the female's ring yesterday.
Vērotāja wrote: June 19th, 2021, 12:59 am Sveiki!

Man liekas, ka gredzena numurs ir H434.
Apakšējā rindā labi var redzēt 4, tad ir vairāki momenti, kuros pirms 4 var redzēt 3

[ img]https://c.radikal.ru/c42/2106/f7/bef18081503f.jpg[/img]

Šajos divos momentos izskatās, ka virs četrinieka ir cipars, kurš izskatās tieši tāpat
Zem H ir 3, bet virs apakšējā labi redzamā 4, augšējās rindas cipars izskatās arī kā 4
[img https://b.radikal.ru/b26/2106/e5/f33dc021e6ae.jpg[/img]

img]https://c.radikal.ru/c07/2106/b6/385dc4ec7b61.png[/img]

Iznāk, augšējā rindā H4, apakšējā 34.

Bet, protams, apstiprināt var tikai Jānis Ķuze, jo viņš var savos datos pārliecināties vai šāds cipars atbilst gredzenam tikai uz labās kājas un ērglim aptuveni piecu gadu vecumā.
GT'ed:
"It seems to me that the ring number is H434 .
In the bottom line you can see well 4, then there are several moments where you can see 3 before 4
In these two moments, it looks like there is a number above the four that looks exactly the same
Below H is 3, but above the bottom well visible 4, the number in the top row also looks like 4
But, of course, only Jānis Ķuze can confirm, because he can make sure in his data whether such a number corresponds to the ring only on the right leg and the eagle at the age of about five."

i'll have another look at yesterday's recording of the girl's visit.
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

ame wrote: June 19th, 2021, 10:32 am - i have no idea who is a male and who a female but i guess that the eagle on the nest is a female.
With all due respect, but would it not be better to write "it" for both eagles, so long as it is not known clearly (or at least with a lot greater probability) what sex these eagles have? (E.g. one or both being attacked by Mr L or Milda respectively, or one or both laying an egg :mrgreen: )
I believe some of the confusion and resulting heated discussions earlier this year arose at least partly from a running commentary of events being not always well grounded in verified facts. This could easily be avoided by not defining things that cannot (yet) be defined.
This is not to say that the interpretation here of this being a "dating couple" is wrong. It is just that so far there's not really much evidence of it being an apt description of what we see on camera. It may make the commentary read like a nice story, but also makes it confusing as "story telling" is not factual description.
Anyway, just my two cents as I thought all that quarrelling in this topic during the early spring rather sad.
EDIT: I wrote this before/while pics of the rings were being posted, so that correct identification of the sex of those eagles might now become possible. That would, of course, be most desirable and provide the evidence to speak with surety of the sexes of the eagles. :thumbs:
ame

Post by ame »

i have once told how i was educated by a native English speaker about the use of the pronouns "she", "he" and "it". she said that the pronoun it should only be used about inanimate things, not any living creatures. saying "it" about a living creature is considered impolite towards this creature.
instead living animals are called "she" and "he" even if their sex is not known.
let me quote myself:
ame wrote: May 19th, 2020, 3:43 pm ...
i have referred to Primo with the feminine pronoun because in English one has to choose either male or female. a British friend of mine once said that it's impolite to refer to a living being as "it". only inanimate objects can be called "it" she said. so this time i chose "she" and "her" but the nickname Primo is in masculine form.

in Finnish we don't have this sex problem. the pronoun for a human in 3rd person is an asexual "hän" and for an animal or anything else it is "se", also asexual. in everyday talk we say "se" of people, too, so animals and humans are equal in that sense. especially the Husband we often call "Se" when we talk about him to our friends. :mrgreen:
about these two eagles: i don't think it is a very bad guess to say that they were of opposite sexes. they seemed to get along well so it's probable that they were attached to each other in some way, probably dating. it's also a fairly good assumption to say that homosexual couples are rare in eagles. therefore it is a good guess that they were of opposite sexes. the eagle who came second and was on the branches had a very thin ankle compared to the size of the ring. therefore i think it is not a bad guess that this eagle was a male. thus the first eagle on the nest was probably a female.
ame

Post by ame »

now i have made a few pictures of the ring of the visitor yesterday. it was H434. the 4's were easy but for the number 3 i had to make a few thousand pictures. :mrgreen:

i wonder if the 3 is good enough for Janis.

i sent Janis e-mail about these visits.
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

WOW!

Ame, 491 Is it 5th or 4th year? He is looking for a nice place... :mrgreen:
ame

Post by ame »

Abigyl, the younger H491 was ringed in 2017 so he is 4 CY old now. the H434 is probably a year older.
our Durbertina should have at least a boyfriend now. :rolleyes:
maybe she has already even a family. :innocent:
sigge wrote: June 20th, 2021, 7:16 am Not meaning to be nitpicking but born in 2017 is 5cy now, 5th calender year :book:
thank you Sigge! you are absolutely right! :slap:
i should count the year using my fingers. then i'd get it right. :mrgreen:
ame

Post by ame »

22:38 a Latvian eagle arrived.
ame

Post by ame »

this is the older of the two, H434 which has less black in her tail. i think is a female (for the reasons which i wrote here earlier). her tail marks looked very much like Milda's.

she was panting. it was still warm in the evening although it was rather late.

edit: this is the best picture that i got of the ring. i think it is close enough H434.
ame

Post by ame »

22:42 she flew away.

ame

Post by ame »

June 20

good morning!

4:55 the older Latvian arrived, H434.

her bottom is still somewhat spotty.
ame

Post by ame »

this is the best picture that i got of the ring. the last number is 4.
the others are close enough to H434.

4:59 she jumped to the left branch.
ame

Post by ame »

5:02 she flew away.

by the way: i'm not trying to say that i read the number on the ring in any of the above pictures. i can see that the ring is Latvian. i can also see that the tail is the same as the tail of the older of the two. thus it is very probable that this eagle is H434, the older of the two.
ame

Post by ame »

i see that i was too optimistic about the number of visitors in the morning. :whistling:
sigge

Post by sigge »

ame wrote: June 19th, 2021, 7:45 pm Abigyl, the younger H491 was ringed in 2017 so he is 4 CY old now.
Not meaning to be nitpicking but born in 2017 is 5cy now, 5th calender year :book:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

good morning ame :hi:

thank you very much for reporting, videos and pictures. :2thumbsup: :loveshower:
whenever I see a Latvian eagle coming to the nest, I think of Durberta. But I also know that it is unlikely that she will visit her home nest.
I saw that Milda was here again a few days ago. I hope a couple will established in the fall. My favorite couple would be Milda and a new mate :D
Rita

Post by Rita »

Ajeta wrote: June 19th, 2021, 1:07 pm With all due respect, but would it not be better to write "it" for both eagles, so long as it is not known clearly ...
Quote by ame:
i have once told how i was educated by a native English speaker about the use of the pronouns "she", "he" and "it". she said that the pronoun it should only be used about inanimate things, not any living creatures. saying "it" about a living creature is considered impolite towards this creature.
I agree with Ajeta. Using a sexing pronoun for an animal whose sex is not known is simply wrong. This is no documentation. And we want to document, don't we?

ame: It might be impolite towards humans, true. But this is no justification for wrong statements. If the sex is unknown then it is either 'it' or the sex of the species, in this case 'eagle' is male, so then it would be 'he'. Chick is neuter, so 'it'.

As soon as the sex is know, 'it' must not be used - maybe that is what your native speaking friend wanted to point out.

I know that this is difficult for Finnish people, as there is only 'hän'.

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”