Latvian WTE nest webcamera: Juras-Erglis 2014

White-tailed eagles in Latvia

Moderator: Moderators

lianaliesma

Re: Latvian WTE nest webcamera: Juras-Erglis 2014

Post by lianaliesma »

:hi: ... :loveshower:
We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings dominate nature, before they have learned to control themselves. -Albert Schweitzer
I have been studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called "lower animals" versus the traits and dispositions of man. The result humiliates me. - Mark Twain
laranjeiras

Post by laranjeiras »

one of the chicks is back - Lubana was there and brought food. She was on the right side of the nest, just out of sight and I missed the snap. This is of Makonite (I think) watching Lubana fly away - both of the goblins were screaming like crazy even though one of them is out of sight - what a give away!! :laugh: And here's me thinking they're far away :mrgreen: :chick: :chick:
ame

Post by ame »

that food thing looks like meat, not fish. it's so red.
laranjeiras

Post by laranjeiras »

:shock:
there was an almighty crash (at 11.37 local time) - this is Makonite looking. sounded like a big branch or something
ame

Post by ame »

darn! i just turned my back and missed the crash. i wonder what it could have been...
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Congratulations, eaglets and aunties, for fledging!
:loveshower:

12:10
After eating some time the present eaglet flew onto the branch on the east side of the nest.
ame

Post by ame »

one eaglet has been at home at least from 12:35...

... for so long that it has fallen asleep.. :sleeping: with a fish as a pillow. :mrgreen:
ame

Post by ame »

oh what screaming! :rotf:
13:28 Lubana came and took slowly the red-bloodied bird and began to eat it. Pukite was first too lazy to even get up but for screaming she wasn't too tired! :mrgreen:

Lubana was able to eat quite a lot of that bird. i saw a reddish lobed foot going down.
edit: i don't think was lobed after all. it looked like a wader's foot though, long with long toes.
ame

Post by ame »

seeing Lubana eating her food made Pukite quite furious! she stood up and took the remaining bird away from Lubana.

Lubana tried to continue eating some of the fish that have been lying on the nest for loooong, but no! Pukite drove her away!

her food! "mine! mine! mine!!" she screamed. :rotf:
ame

Post by ame »

13:49 Sartas called and Lubana replied. both were rather far. (but the wind is hard so it perhaps makes sounds more difficult to hear).
ame

Post by ame »

i have now some Pontu clips from this morning.

Makonite apparently made her first outing today at 5:41. she went to the front-right branch where she waved her wings for a while. Pukite was looking at her for a while, twisting and turning her head...

i think that Makonite really made a short tour because she is missing from the Pontu picture at 5:42 and Pukite began preening. there was a crash at 5:43 and she returned to the nest little later. she then made some wing exercises, went up on the left branch but returned down. then she waved her wings at Pukite and they seemed to have some disagreement. Pukite even made some funny voices in protest. he (i think that Pukite is actually male) sounded like a teenage boy whose voice is breaking.
ame

Post by ame »

5:47 Makonite made the next trip out of sight, again to the front-right branch. she waved her wings there... Pukite was watching for some time...
the Pukite did again the strange thing which she has done a few times already: she rubbed her bottom against the nest. actually she did it twice, first at 5:48

and the second time a minute later. what can this be?? :puzzled:

here's Makonite's departure:
ame

Post by ame »

5:54 Pukite went to the left branch.

5:57 it seems to me that Makonite came near because Pukite was looking that way... Makonite came into the nest at 5:58 and made wing exercises. she had a lot of energy to spend: she jumped to the back branch and down and then she went to the front-right branch again. :D
ame

Post by ame »

6:05 Makonite came down from the front right, made some catching and wing exercises... then she stood in the middle of the nest and it seemed as if she were thinking: "what next?"...

then she jumped to the left branch beside Pukite! it was a bit crowded there: they had some pecking for quite a long while... then Makonite also pulled Pukite's feathers, even with her head quite upside down! :mrgreen:

i don't think that this feather-pulling was any tenderness like with an adult eagle couple. Pukite didn't quite seem to enjoy it.

eventually they settled in peace and began to preen on the branch. they stayed together on the left branch till 7:13.

sitting together on the branch (more or less in peace)
6:20 http://youtu.be/x5Fe8PiY_BY
6:47 http://youtu.be/j0ko3r_iWdk
7:10 Makonite came down from the branch but Pukite stayed:
http://youtu.be/jIG11YTm3T4
laranjeiras

Post by laranjeiras »

ame wrote:5:47 Makonite made the next trip out of sight, again to the front-right branch. she waved her wings there... Pukite was watching for some time...
the Pukite did again the strange thing which she has done a few times already: she rubbed her bottom against the nest. actually she did it twice, first at 5:48
and the second time a minute later. what can this be?? :puzzled:

Dogs and cats do that when they have worms - I wonder if that might be the same for eagles? Pukite did used to eat those tape worms - perhaps they've given him worms?
:puzzled:
ame

Post by ame »

the same idea has crossed my mind: some parasites. :unsure:
i found yet another bottom-rubbing episode from this morning at about 7:25. (the clip is being processed).

it was Pukite again. she it doing too often to my liking.
ame

Post by ame »

some more Pontu clips from this morning...

7:22 Makonite got up to the front-right branch and waved her wings there a bit. Pukite came down from her branch, looked for a while to the right. then she began to eat. it's impossible to know when (if at all!) Makonite left the branch. she's not in the Pontu pictures but she could be higher on the tree. i tried to look if her shadow could be seen on the nest but it was hopeless... 8-)

before Pukite really began to eat she rubbed her bottom against the nest again! :slap:
this doesn't look only funny anymore. maybe she has some parasites, tapeworm or something, which then tickle her... :puzzled:
ame

Post by ame »

7:54 Makonite returned to the nest from the front-right. she seemed to had an adrenal boost or some kind of temporary fit of ADHD: she jumped to the back branch, down, to the front-right branch and back down and she made big wing wavings and exercises when she was in the nest. :D
ame

Post by ame »

8:29 Pukite got up (she had been lying down), made some wing and grip exercises and then she got up on the left branch. she stayed there.

8:54 Makonite got up to the front-right branch and went out of sight (also from P-pictures)

9:10 Makonite returned to the nest from the front, got back on the branch and waved her wings there, and returned down again. she made some wing and catching exercises on the nest. ADHD again. :mrgreen:
ame

Post by ame »

9:44 Lubana brought a nice big fish which Makonite got as she was this time in the nest and Pukite on the branch.

Pukite sneaked inch by inch closer to the nest on her branch and finally she jumped down (about 9:43). then she watched her sister eat from a safe distance behind her back.

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”