Latvian WTE nest webcamera: Juras-Erglis 2014

White-tailed eagles in Latvia

Moderator: Moderators

Liz01

Re: Latvian WTE nest webcamera: Juras-Erglis 2014

Post by Liz01 »

stream not found, the cam :sleep:

good morning :hi:
the first morning without Lubana and her little chicks, this is hard.

Ame, i have reminds me of Linda in the previous year. She was a long time gone.
Illimar was a big baby and (so beautiful)
i have is experiencing for the first time in my life and i was worry about the little Illimar :blush:

I also expected that the camera stops. But I also have great hope that it works again soon.
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Hi :hi:
While we cannot follow this nest I had a look at the Danish WTE nest - there the two chicks are already big. I don't know when they hatched but it looks like they were not ringed yet and they are still being fed by a parent: http://pandion.dof.dk/webtv

- This camera view stops about every six minutes in order to ask you to send money for the project - but you can just click the link back to the cam view. (Of course you can also send them money - I think however that the SMS can only be sent within Denmark :mrgreen: )
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Hi, Owlie :hi: thanks for the camera link,it's great :thumbs:
Michi

Post by Michi »

:hi:
Liz, in this topic is written about the Danish WTE nest:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=556&start=140

The first chick hatched at 10. April and the second one probably in the night from 11. to 12. April.

Fingers are crossed, that the Latvian WTE cam will work soon. :2thumbsup:
I so wish to see the WTE chicks fledge. :chick:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Hi, Michi :hi:
for that I cross my fingers.
everything is just a replacement. i watch Lubana and Sartas on from the beginning. they belong to my day. :nod:

thanks for the link to forum.

goood morning everyone, the cam does not work yet-please, will quickly dry :bow:
ame

Post by ame »

good morning! :hi:

the weather maps don't promise that rains will stop in near future, but there will also be periods without rain, too. today evening rain is expected, and some more rain is expected starting in Sunday evening.
http://www.meteoprog.lv/en/weather/Lubana/

the Danich eaglets are now 5 weeks old so ringing can be expected soon. :rolleyes:
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Is it a law in the nature that the second (etc) born will become a humble looser who avoids provoking the first born and even beg less feeding? Or is there a possibility that these younger ones have some strength to cope with in the future better than in the home nest? I think Sartas and Lubana at least have been very patient and fed both chicks as long as they are hungry - is it going to continue?
These thoughts disturb me when I have seen feeding in the Danish nest... Someone wrote in Danish comments that the first born can even take food from the second born's beak ... However: both Danish chicks have grown to about the same size so far.
:slap:
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

@Owlie,

white tailed eagles and many other species like ospreys and owls, hatch a-synchronicly, and that means that the oldest chick always is the biggest to start with, and will have the 'first rights' in the food queue, and that the other chicks will have to wait 'till the first has gotten his fill. No problem at all when there's enough food. Later on this 'oldest/biggest chick first'-rule will even out and then it just becomes that the chick closest to the feeding parent gets the food first, regardless of age.
By the way, the younger chicks seem always to develop tricks to get their share of the food, for example by becoming very fast food snatchers, so fast that they have taken the food and swallowed it before their older sibling even noticed what happened (Nori was a good example of that at the kalakotkas nest in 2012). Often the younger chicks also seem to (try to) self-feed before the oldest.
I've been watching the Danish WTE nest too, and I haven't seen anything special during the feedings. Both get fed and there's always more than enough food on that nest, and the crop of the youngest tends to be just as full as the crop of the oldest.
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Thanks again, Kukelke -
I moved my answer to :
viewtopic.php?p=321835#p321835
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

I wonder what is the purpose of those fresh leafy tree branches eagles bring to their nest. Sartas has brought them at least twice (aspen branches), as I've seen, and now there are some also in the Danish nest. Are they maybe only "sticks" among all sticks as nest material?
:puzzled:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

the cam sleeps still :sleep:
Owlie wrote:I wonder what is the purpose of those fresh leafy tree branches eagles bring to their nest. Sartas has brought them at least twice (aspen branches), as I've seen, and now there are some also in the Danish nest. Are they maybe only "sticks" among all sticks as nest material?
:puzzled:
the green leaves produce evaporation. It gives off coolness. In order to control the temperature in the nest :nod:

:hi: Ame, eagle woman, is that right?
ame

Post by ame »

good morning! :hi:

i haven't got any knowledge of why they bring twigs with fresh leaves to the nest, not even any good hypothesis of that. in fact i don't have any idea of it...
- it looked so cosy and made me think about the buzzards whose nesting attempt i was watching 2 years ago. there the male brought a leafy twig to the nest almost every time he came home.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

When it is hot (sunny) branches with green leaves are constantly being brought to the nest. This is their organic air conditioning. The evaporation of the liquid in the green leaves creates cold, and that comes to young chicks to good. In general, raptors cold better than heat.
This also makes the lesser spotted eagle. As I have observed it first. On the Internet I found the explanation.
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Hi :wave:
I had a look at the weather prognosis from the link ame gave - and it looks quite tough next week for our bird family, very warm and still wet - the camera hasn't it easy either with that quantity of rain ... Hope the warmth will evaporate the humidity from the camera once in a while ...
ame

Post by ame »

Sunday May 18th

still no camera.... Image

Liz, i came to think of the LSE later yesterday, too. they also have the habit of bringing fresh leavy twigs to their nest. :nod:
with them i think one reason must be keeping the nest clean. when eaglets are small the mother eagle tears so many moles and voles and frogs there that there must be some blood and contents on intestines dripping around and soiling the nest (our cat used to make lots of stains on floors when she brought her prey inside the house and ate them under the bed or sofa. it was hard work to wash and rub those stains away. Image).

the nest would quickly become really filthy without new leaves and hay (used by WTEs) covering the mess. still the smell of rotting meat brings a lot of blowflies to the nest. at LSE nests we have sometimes seen poplar admirals, who are also lured by smell of rotting meat (or dung). so i think one reason for fresh leaves must be sanitary reasons: fresher nest must mean healthier eaglets.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Ame, this could be a good explanation.
Maybe i should ask an eagle :rotf:
I will not know like the smell of an eagle's nest :shock:
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Hi,

just counting: the sixth day without the nest view here ...
And according to the prognosis the next first rainless day on Friday!

BTW @ame or @Jānis
Did it rain most of the days during the two weeks last time when the cam was offline - or did it take two rainless weeks for the cam to recover from the last heavy rain?

In the forecast there are at least some daytimes when it doesn't rain - when it rains during the night.
Black swan

Post by Black swan »

Fresh green branches are also at the Black Eagles very popular (during the whole nest-season).
Currently 2 eggs are incubated and there is no prey eaten on the nest,
but as far as I could see, brings (primarily) the male daily a fresh green branch.
They like put the branches around itself, while lying on eggs. :rolleyes:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

does not matter, why bring the green branches.They do it all, Black Eagle ,WTE, Buzzard, lSE. beautiful idea that it would be a gift, but it get so both parents green branches :mrgreen:
I would not be unhappy if the camera would work again :bow:
ame

Post by ame »

Owlie, i think i know about as much as you about weather in Latvia. :D
i haven't checked Latvian weather maps, but i'm mostly guessing based on the weather maps which are shown on Finnish TV and newspapers. Juras-Erglis and Latvia are so much in the Sourh that only a thin slice of the Northernmost part can be seen in them.
here's the weather map which i found on the webpage of YLE (Finnish broadcasting company). it shows the forecast for today, composed by meteorologist Kerttu Kotakorpi from the Finnish Meteorological institute:

Estonia including Saunja is much more convienently located: it can be seen on these weather maps and thus one could/can see what kind of weather there is. often it is surprisingly similar as in Turku so on very many days it's enough for me to look of the window to see what the weather is like in Saunja. :mrgreen: the same applied to Nõva, the eagles' winter feeding place.
for Latvia i need to extrapolate outside the map and guess. from today's map i guess that the blue weatherfront -line extends over Latvia, and that the wind direction is probably from SW to NE. it's probable that it is partly cloudy in Latvia today with temperatures slightly over 20 degrees. :whistling:
but i checked the Latvian weather here: http://www.meteoprog.lv/en/maps/
and i saw that my guesses went quite wrong: on the Latvian weather map there's rain-rain-rain almost all over Latvia for today! :slap:

i guess that drying of the cable connections will take about the same time as it did the last time, i.e. a week or so. the drying process is not quick because the connection hasn't cut quickly either after the rain. it takes time before the water seeps in and so it will also take time before it oozes out. -IF it is question of getting wet and dry! we don't know! i think your guesses are just as good as mine, just speculation. it's not even certainat all that Janis will find the reason for the fault when he goes there to ring the eaglets and takes a look at the wirings.

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”