Latvian WTE nest webcamera: Juras-Erglis 2014

White-tailed eagles in Latvia

Moderator: Moderators

Liz01

Re: Latvian WTE nest webcamera: Juras-Erglis 2014

Post by Liz01 »

ame wrote: here's the Pontu clip of Pukite's flight.
this is so beautiful. My little eagle can fly :loveshower:

Ame :hi: how long they will remain in the nest?
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

at 18:41 Makonite flies away :mrgreen:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Pukite sleeps :sleeping:
ame

Post by ame »

Liz01 wrote:Ame :hi: how long they will remain in the nest?
that's difficult to say. they'll be away more and for longer periods of time as time goes by. WTEaglets hang around their nest for a long time and they widen their horizons gradually. this has been observed for example with satellite tracking device harnessed on Finnish WTEs.
you can have a look at some maps made of their tracking on the web pages of the Finnish Museum of Natural History:
http://www.luomus.fi/en/finnish-white-t ... e-tracking
clicking the eagle's name will open the latest maps of locations. a bit lower in the text you'll find a link to previous maps.

i once had a look at some of those maps showing the tracks of young eagles leaving their home. they seemed to stay in within about 1 km radius from their nest in the beginning, then they expanded the radius and searched and got acquainted with the wider area and so on. when winter came they headed to the South.

i have made summaries of the important dates of the Estonian nestings in 2009 an 2010 here:
viewtopic.php?p=219386#p219386
there you can see that eaglets have been seen at the nest in September for the last times.

WTEs are quite different from for example lesser spotted eagles (LSEs; or most little birds). when a LSE-youngster flies out of its nest it will never be seen there again. at least that has been our experience with the LSEaglets which we have watched. - i have been wondering in these past days which is better fledging for us eagle-aunties, departure and fair-well in an instant or slow parting in several weeks or even months, never knowing which encounter will be the last ... :unsure:
ame

Post by ame »

22:06 the last picture which i took today before i closed camera is this. Pukite was on the left branch already a long time. Makonite came down to the nest from the front branch.

July 23rd playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 3OW0gY72RT
picture album: http://s561.photobucket.com/user/anmael ... 2014-07-23

:wave: :offtobed:
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

ame wrote: ... Makonite then began to whine loud at the left branch ... when she saw that Pukite found some food in the nest. she had to come down and begin to eat, too, though she had sat on her branch since 13:08 without being hungry at all....
Maybe they have been brought up to attend the dinner table together?
:whistling:
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

ame wrote: ... - i have been wondering in these past days which is better fledging for us eagle-aunties, departure and fair-well in an instant or slow parting in several weeks or even months, never knowing which encounter will be the last ...
As far as the Danish eaglets have more or less vanished from the camera during a couple of weeks - it has been a joy to see them now and then, even if not daily - it would be sad to see them just fly away once ...
But I don't of course know how hard it can be for you 'real eaglet-aunties', who have lived with the chicks daily for a long period ...
:mrgreen:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Hi Ame
thank you for the answer.
my laptop do not work, now i have only my little Handy. So i now onlycan read and write. Also i have no google translate.
ame

Post by ame »

good morning! :hi:
both eaglets are at home.
ame

Post by ame »

9:11 one eaglet was peeking behind the left trunk.

9:13 it came down to the nest and the continued to the front-right branch. here one can barely see the tip of the wing in the right edge of the picture in the shadow.
- i suppose it was Makonite because these two branches have been her favourite places. :rolleyes:
ame

Post by ame »

i found one food delivery from yesterday afternoon which i missed. i was indeed thinking yesterday afternoon that there were too many fresh-looking fish in the nest compared to the morning. 8-)

14:39 Lubana brought a fish which Makonite took in a split second. i think it wasn't a small fish but i coudn't get a decent picture of it. Makonite hid it too fast behind her back. Pukite was much too far on her branch to have any deal in this competition.
ame

Post by ame »

hah! i heard an eaglet's purr from somewhere quite near. :mrgreen:
- no-one is in sight but someone must be sitting on the front-right. :laugh:
ame

Post by ame »

15:41 yesterday afternoon a shot came from an unusual, new direction. :whistling: Image

the shooter, Makonite came then down to the nest, chased Pukite up and lay down on her place. Pukite had to go to the left front corner of the nest where she sat on a stick for a long time. (this much i saw live yesterday, but i missed the shot. :mrgreen: )
ame

Post by ame »

viewtopic.php?p=336651#p336651
ame wrote:16:46 the eaglet who was lying on the nest (Makonite?) got up made some wing exercises and flew up to the front branch. - i think this has to be Makonite. :D
she almost seemed to kick Pukite in the face but i don't think so really because Pukite didn't react.
i have now a Pontu clip of this incident and i have watched it in slow-motion. it seems to me that Makonite really kicked Pukite, not in the face but perhaps on the breast or wing. the sound of impact is there.. or maybe it the sound of M's feet touching the ground. anyway Pukite doesn't react in almost any way so she wasn't hurt. but M is a bad, bad sister. :rant:
ame

Post by ame »

10:59 more eaglet's purrs... and some louder voices, too. i don't know how to describe those voices..? :puzzled:
croaks? maybe that's a good word.

but i didn't get any voices on video! :slap: :faint: :D
ame

Post by ame »

viewtopic.php?p=336660#p336660
Liz01 wrote:a parent brought a big fish. The light is very bad for pictures.
i left the picture here though it's normally not advisable. the picture is better than Liz maybe thought: the rings of Sartas shine as bright spots in it. :laugh:

here's a Pontu clip of this delivery at 18:26. Sartas brought a very big bream (i think). Makonite was in the nest so she got the fish... and immediately after that she seemed to rub her bottom against the nest.
the fish was also very slippery: Makonite had difficulties getting a grip of it. she was like ice-skating on the fish. :mrgreen:
ame

Post by ame »

11:10 the hiding eaglet came down to the nest and then made some wing exercises.

then it went to see what's in the larder (not the fridge! ). i think she found something.
ame

Post by ame »

Pukite has come home (? the left branch is 'her place').
ame

Post by ame »

poor baby, the heat must be exhausting. :slap:
ame

Post by ame »

12:10 Lubana came and she brought a fish. she even called a little: "kids! lunch!"

my picture was freezing and sound was choppy... there was so much squeaking that for a while i thought that Makonite were nearby and coming, too, but no. only Pukite (?) on her branch. Pukite came down from her branch and Lubana left.

here's a Pontu clip of this delivery:

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”