Liz01

Re: Latvian WTE nest webcamera: Juras-Erglis 2014

Post by Liz01 »

Feeding :mrgreen: - I think that's a common coot :puzzled:

wing stretching

Edit:she plucks the feathers from the bird :whistling:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

they can not break the bird and now she feeds fish.

18:37:02end of feeding
Do correct me-she eats fish, the little ones get duck from yesterday.

The bird is a raven? :puzzled:
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Liz01 wrote:The bird is a raven?
That was my first guess, too, - but are there not also black crows (Corvus frugilegus)? I imagine that ravens are a little bigger ...
If I were Sartas, I would like to catch a crow every now and then ... :whistling:
Michi

Post by Michi »

Good evening, :wave:
two last pictures from the evening in very bad weather. The nest-tree sways back and forth.

21:08

21:20
ame

Post by ame »

Liz01 wrote:The bird is a raven?
Owlie wrote:That was my first guess, too, - but are there not also black crows (Corvus frugilegus)? I imagine that ravens are a little bigger ...
If I were Sartas, I would like to catch a crow every now and then ... :whistling:
i agree with Liz: my guess was a common Eurasian coot, but to know more we should get a glimpse of the feet. i would think that ravens or any corvids would be bigger and too clever to be caught by eagles (though one raven was captured by an eagle in the winter feeding ground in winter 2013).

i think that the previous black bird was also a coot. it seemed to have dark lobed feet as coots have, with long toes equipped with individual 'flippers', not interconnected like ducks have. see for example this:
http://www.kalassa.net/kalapedia/images ... n_Coot.jpg
edit: i think i have to take these previous words back! later i took a closer look at the POntu video and i think that the earlier bird was a cormorant after all. i made a slowmotion video where i think Lubana lifts the head of the bird and i think it had a cormorant's beak.
here's a link to that slowmotion video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoiSdYMx7nQ
Owlie, i think it is a fish there on the back rim. it has its tail to the right and i think the head is eaten by now. eagle like to have food in the larder. :laugh:
edit: later i looked up when the fish in the back of the nest came there: Sartas brought it on May 4th at 13:50. (viewtopic.php?p=317708#p317708)
the fish has been there for three days already! :slap:

today's picture album: http://s561.photobucket.com/user/anmael ... 2014-05-07
playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... aiQo-zSH1r

good night! :wave:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

good Morning :hi:
looks like as if Sartas in the nest. I hear raindrops, but am not sure.The little eagle babies look out from under the plumage.
I hear geese.
ame wrote: i agree with Liz: my guess was a common Eurasian coot, but to know more we should get a glimpse of the feet. i would think that ravens or any corvids would be bigger and too clever to be caught by eagles (though one raven was captured by an eagle in the winter feeding ground in winter 2013). :wave:
the feet of the bird are black. So I think it is a Raven. In the last feeding Lubana has raised the bird.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

it rains heavily. The parent does not look relaxed. I hope that the rain stops :bow:

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

it is Lubana

the chicks looks well

Lubana starts with feeding
looks to me as if the older sibling to the all eat away :puzzled:I'm not sure.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

the big one presses the small down-he sits on it :shock:

6:09:20 the feeding is finished.
Janis Kuze

Post by Janis Kuze »

ame wrote: i would think that ravens or any corvids would be bigger and too clever to be caught by eagles (though one raven was captured by an eagle in the winter feeding ground in winter 2013).
Good morning!
Ravens are common prey for WTE at this particular season - now they have rather large nestlings (usual season of leaving nests is mid May) that are taken by the eagles straight from the nests. I have found such remains about dozen of times during the ringing.
Another species to keep in mind is a cormorant - there is a colony on island of Lake Lubāns and it is known that eagles take both adult birds and youngsters from the nests.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

the chicks are alone and sleeps :shock:

ame

Post by ame »

empty nest? how long have babies been alone? :shock:

ps. thank you Janis for your comment. :thumbs:
- cormorants or raven's nestlings did not come my mind at all. i was just thinking of adult birds, and we don't have cormorants here at inland lakes.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Janis Kuze wrote: Good morning!
Ravens are common prey for WTE at this particular season - now they have rather large nestlings (usual season of leaving nests is mid May) that are taken by the eagles straight from the nests. I have found such remains about dozen of times during the ringing.
Another species to keep in mind is a cormorant - there is a colony on island of Lake Lubāns and it is known that eagles take both adult birds and youngsters from the nests.
Thank you Janis, for the information.
I have also read. They get even young buzzards - some still alive :shock:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

ame wrote:empty nest? how long have babies been alone? :shock:
I do not know, am also only a few minutes ago on the net :puzzled:
but I've seen both, as they have moved. They are quiet, I think a parent is near to them :thumbs:

The crop is empty-perhaps people were there again?
ame

Post by ame »

Liz01 wrote:...Thank you Janis, for the information.
I have also read. They get even young buzzards - some still alive :shock:
i've seen some reports of alive and well-fed buzzard chicks being found in WTE nests when people have come to ring eaglets. apparently buzzlings (could that be a word? :mrgreen: ) have been taken alive from their nest as lunch for eaglets but then they have reminded so much eaglets that parent eagles have confused them as their our offspring. amazing, isn't it!
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Ame, this is amazing! A beautiful story :rolleyes:
ame

Post by ame »

in 9:49 Pontu picture Sartas is getting up and in the next picture he is gone. babies have been alone for an hour! :shock:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

ame wrote:in 9:49 Pontu picture Sartas is getting up and in the next picture he is gone. babies have been alon for an hour! :shock:
:shock:that's terrible. I wonder what happened
ame

Post by ame »

babies are still both moving so so far so good. the other even shot a poop (but i failed to get a record of it, stopped recording a bit too early) it's good that there are two of them: they can get some warmth if they curl around each other. it must be freezing cold out there after the morning rain. :unsure:
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

A crisis again, oh, no!
The chicks are peeping ...
11:30
A crow a little further in the background - hope they don't come closer ...

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”