Latvian WTE nest webcamera: Juras-Erglis 2014

White-tailed eagles in Latvia

Moderator: Moderators

vainamoinen

Re: Latvian WTE nest webcamera: Juras-Erglis 2014

Post by vainamoinen »

ame wrote:lianaliesma :hi:
we are a bit unsure about the names of the eaglets: what should we really call them. can you help us? i think that when Latvian school children gave the names they assumed that the smaller was a girl and it was given the feminine version of the Flower. likewise the bigger eaglet was given the name Cloud as a masculine version. now it has become obvious that the bigger is a girl and the smaller is a boy. What would the names be in proper sexes: Pukite as masculine and Makonite as feminine? we have just used these names without knowing really what they should be. -surely there can be a masculine Flower and feminine Cloud, can there? :help:
in the Botanical Garden of the University of Turku a giant agave plant has started to bloom at the age of about 50 years. these plants live in nature in the Mediterranean countries. after the blooming is over the plant will die.
i'm sure this plant is masculine (though there are both feminine pistils and masculine stamens in the same plant)

In Latvian language puķe or puķīte can be only feminine and mākonis or mākonītis only masculine. Another sex is impossible. However there are men with surname Puķītis and some poets use "mākonīte" as feminine. So it's not a big problem.
ame

Post by ame »

aha, ok vainamoinen, thank you!
for me as a Finn the gender of words is unknown and a bit difficult since we don't have that in Finnish. all nouns are neutral, then have no gender. also the personal pronoun hän refers both to a feminine and a masculine.

so i hope we are not making a big mistake by calling the small male eaglet Pukite and his bigr sister Makonite. :rolleyes:
lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

ame, vainamonen has nicely explained... :hi:
In Lavian language the gender of the words is in the endings.
When we want to show that the gender is masculine we write in the end of the word -s, -is (with deminutive ending -iņš, -ītis);
when feminine gender then ending is -a (deminutive -iņa), or -e (deminutive -īte).

e.g.
Mākonis, demin. Mākonītis - masculine
Mākone, demin. Mākonīte - feminine

Puķis, demin. Puķītis - masculine
Puķe, demin. Puķīte - feminine

deminutive - when we show that something/somebody is little or cute and dear, like book-booklet-little book

Nouns are usually with only one gender. But in fairytales and for people's surnames and proper nouns can be used both genders.
We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings dominate nature, before they have learned to control themselves. -Albert Schweitzer
I have been studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called "lower animals" versus the traits and dispositions of man. The result humiliates me. - Mark Twain
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

good Morning :hi:

thanks for the good explanation for gender names, vainamoinen and lianaliesma :2thumbsup:
Then Pukite now Pukitis and Makonite remains Makonite or Nest Owener, or Princess :mrgreen:
ame wrote: it grabbed the fish immediately when Lubana landed and took off at the same instant. well done Pukite! it has learned so well how to do this trick :bow:
Pukitis learns very quickly. Makonite could not understand what happened there :whistling: The was a nice big fishi. a bream, i guess.

stream not found...
ame

Post by ame »

good morning and thank you lianaliesma for further explanations! :wave:
so now we have Puķītis and Mākonīte. :D

i think Mākonīte as the diminutive form of the name a little humorous as our Princess is actually not small at all, neither physically nor in ego. :mrgreen:

what comes to Puķītis i think we might even call him Puķis (the non-diminutive form) because he has proved to be a big boy now.
i think he will become a proud a eagle who can take care of himself and later of his family. :loveshower:

stream still not found.... Image
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

I think, the problem is the rain. The cable is wet?
Let's hope for sunny weather, so they dry again :bow:
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Liz01 wrote:Owlie :hi:
I know of only one page in German
http://www.brodowski-fotografie.de/beob ... zucht.html
it is German- google translater is good enough, i hope :unsure:
Es nimmt wenigstens ein Abend zu lesen - vielen Dank, Liz!
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Felis silvestris wrote: There have, ... The film how Urmas and Joosep fit on of the WtE chicks with a transmitter. viewtopic.php?p=151520#p151520
Previously both eagles were on the map, at the moment it is only one.
Thanks, Felis, the video is fine, so well they prepare their actions, these guys! I have to study closer Meelis' movements on the map.

And I am happy Puķītis got his gender on the thread!
:mrgreen:
Sasha68

Post by Sasha68 »

Is the cam off for the season ? I have not be able to excess it for 2 days now :help: :rant: :bow:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

:hi: the camera no longer works. Maybe because it rains too much
ame

Post by ame »

last time the actual problem was in a faulty switch which was replaced on the same trip as when the eaglets were ringed. i got the impression then that the earlier cut right after the laying of the first egg was probably due to the switch as well...

if the problem is this time with some cables getting wet then it is not good: more rain is likely to come in the autumn and no dry weathers. :unsure:
hmm..? who knows? :puzzled:

i checked now: there are no Pontu pictures since Saturday morning, so the connections to both cameras were lost then.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Oh, I thought it would be a problem with humidity. It's always happened when it rained?
I hope that soon someone reports, who knows what's going on :bow:
ame

Post by ame »

still no camera... also the Pontu camera hasn't been working at all: there are no Pontu pictures since the break on Saturday.

i wrote to Jānis Ķuze and asked about news. he wrote this:
We have the stream interruptions due to the low battery level. The days are getting shorter, therefore the solar panel cant charge the battery enough anymore. We are going to unplug this system in mid September for maintenance before the next season and no servicing will be done before that. That means - no guarantees for "wake - ups"..
the battery! why didn't that come to mind? :slap:
that is a plausible reason for the camera not working. the days should be long enough (and sunny! longer and sunnier than in the spring) for the solar panels to give power but the battery may be so 'worn out' that it will not recharge anymore.

i tried to find weather observations for the last few days but all i can find is forecasts... :puzzled:
at least today it seems to be sunny in all Latvia, but with a dead battery it will not help. :faint:
lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

:hi: ame, Liz01 and all others - thank you for devotion to this nest and eagle family, beautiful comments and photos and video...
What a pitty we cannot have a glance on the nest... at least now we know that weather is nice for them to start hunting... :innocent:
We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings dominate nature, before they have learned to control themselves. -Albert Schweitzer
I have been studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called "lower animals" versus the traits and dispositions of man. The result humiliates me. - Mark Twain
ame

Post by ame »

i have some old Pontu clips from the evening of August 10th. then there was a loooooong screaming drama played by Lubana and one eaglet.
viewtopic.php?p=339824#p339824

i think that the eaglet in this drama was Pukitis contrary to what Liz and IceAge then assumed (naturally!). i think that i see his ring number 77 in this Pontu picture taken at 19:57 during the drama.

it all started at 19:47 when Lubana brought a rather small fish. Pukitis followed Lubana to the nest and in his excitement he took a wrong fish! Lubana had dropped her new fish on the nest but Pukitis took an old fish which was in the back of then nest. Lubana didn't correct him but took her new fish up again and Gulp! she swallowed it. :rotf:
then Lubana flew out. Pukitis playing a little catch-a-fish but then he began to eat. all this time i think i can hear in addition to Pukitis the voice of Makonite crying near the nest. at 19:49 there was sound of big wings: i think Makonite flew away then. her voice wasn't heard after that.
ame

Post by ame »

19:55 Pukitis was still eating the previous fish when Lubana returned with a a small piece of fish, maybe a head. Pukitis took the new piece screaming loud. Lubana took up a big fishtail which was lying on the nest but dropped it by accident almost overboard when Pukitis grabbed her feet. Lubana was barely able to rescue the fish from falling. she gave the tail to Pukitis and flew out. at this point Pukites showed his ring when he played a little catch-a-fish with the fishtail. then he ate a little.

20:12 Pukitis began screaming and staring to the left... then he flew out and made a lot of crashing sounds... then Lubana flew in and began to eat some piece of an old fish. Pukitis screamed even louder and soon he flew in and took the fish from Lubana. Lubana got up to the back branch and Pukitis went on screaming. he was too full to eat any more. he just stood and screamed holding the piece of fish in his claws.
Lubana looked at him... maybe she knew that Pukitis couldn't eat any more and being economical as she is she was planning to eat away the fish so that them would not be wasted. then she tried to come back to the nest but Pukitis chased her away. he was still upset and went on squeaking... then Lubana tried to come back for the third time, but again Pukitis chased her away.

20:20 Pukitis flew out of the nest and stayed on some nearby branch crying and almost right away Lubana flew to the nest (4th time). she hadn't gone away either. :D
she took up a piece of fish... and Pukitis flew in screaming and took the fish himself! Lubana went to the back of the nest to look for other pieces. Pukitis went on crying...

for some time both just stood on the nest, Pukitis crying and Lubana listening. then Pukitis began to eat some and so did Lubana, too. Pukitis was chirping unhappily to her all the time. Lubana got up to the back branch. 20:25 she made a move of getting down but Pukitis stopped her. 20:27 she did jump down (5th time) but Pukitis shooed her away. he was quiet for a short while but began crying again: Lubana hadn't gone away altogether. Pukites stared to the right... then he got up to the front branch at 20:29 and almost at once Lubana flew in for the 6th time! she took a piece of some food and ate and Pukitis jumped back down. he began to eat a piece of his own... and chased Lubana out at 20:31. :slap:
by that time Pukitis had become tired and he lay down on the nest.
ame

Post by ame »

Pukitis was looking out to the right and complained... i think he saw Lubana there. a black cloud of flies was crawling on the piece of fish behind him...
20:35 Lubana tried to come to the nest again but Pukitis grinned and screamed at her so she flew by, but i don't think she flew far. Pukitis stared at her....

20:37 Lubana flew to the nest for the 7th time and tried to take the fishtail but Pukitis took it and Lubana had to get up to the left branch. Pukitis held the fishtail screaming and tried to eat it, too, but mainly he was just crying desperately at Lubana. he had almost lost his voice. it was just pitiful squeaking... but he went on. he has the same bad-tempered genes as his sister but he hasn't had many opportunities to show it. :mrgreen:

this time he put up a show which compensated all. he squeaked and stepped around anxiously and finally he got so wound up that he jumped on Lubana's branch and went on screaming there for a while. then he got down and for a while he was so angry and exahusted that he couldn't even make any voice. only his beaks were moving... :mrgreen:

20:45 he flew out to a nearby branch and went on crying there. Lubana got a chance to get down and eat. this was her 8th time on the nest. Pukitis returned to the nest and took a piece of fish for himself and tried to eat and he cried to Lubana with a broken voice... for a precious minute or two they were eating together in peace. :innocent:
20:49 Lubana got up to the back branch and Pukitis went on eating, silently this time. he made only a few squeaks... Lubana was watching him from her branch.

20:53 Pukitis finished eating and flew out of the nest. Lubana jumped down to the nest for the 9th time this evening and began to celan the nest from left-overs. if Pukitis stayed near the nest he kept silent... 20:56 there was some squeaking but not from quite near the nest.. one of the pieces of fish had gone too old even for Lubana: she just tasted it and then left it in the middle of the nest. then she found some other pieces which she ate. seh went around the whole nest... and returned to the piece which she had already rejected and re-examined it... but no, it was gone bad. she left it.
21:02 Lubana flew out and Pukites cried to her near the nest for some time. 21:03 the drama was finally over after lasting for an hour and 15 minutes! :slap:
ame

Post by ame »

it seems that there is little hope of the camera system recovering so the season will be closing here... so i think it is time to look back on what happened here during this season.

we have followed Lubana and Sartas bringing up their offspring from nest building in the very early spring to tiny chicks and all the way to fully-grown almost independent eaglets, or should i write outright: eagles. :rolleyes:

it has been a long time from February to August, almost seven months. in the beginning it was still winter and now the summer is ending. i think it is the right time to invite you all to kindly write here about your thoughts on this season. what were the highlights of the season? what were the most memorable moments of this season to you? what was new? what was charming? what was alarming? you may write about several things, but also just a few words will be enough.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Ame :hi:
for me it was a wonderful time. It was the first season in which I was able to witness an eagle family, from nest building to fledging of eaglets.
For me it was all a highligths. It was new and exciting. The first egg, the first chicks, the constant worry about Pukitis (I had always worried that he starved :mrgreen: )
Makonite the Princess a sole ruler :whistling: She will become a queen of the skies. And hopefully not so terrible scream - so she gets not a husband :rotf:
It was nice and very interesting to see that.

My English is not good enough to write what I think.
Thank you Ame, Janis Kunze and all that are involved here. Thank you for providing the technology that allows to see this :thumbs:

Our eaglets I wish that they will have a long life and always enough wind under the wings.

It comes a new spring, then we will see the eagle again. Maybe Sartas and Lubana, maybe Linda and Sulev?
Bye Pukitis and Makonite, Bye Lubana and Sartas. You two became good parents and very, very patient.
laranjeiras

Post by laranjeiras »

:hi: ame

I really enjoyed all of the season - I missed bits in the early stages but it was my first time of seeing two, not one, eaglets growing. The early stages reminded me often of Linda and Sulev - the building of the nest, bringing food, sitting on and hatching the eggs - it was a delight. But I think my favourite part has been this last part because it is so new to me. Seeing the craziness of young, growing eagles, how they scream and whine! how they learn new things - how to eat for themselves, how to clean their beaks, how to fly. I have been very amused by the parents - they seem to watch with interest as these mad eaglets are all aggressive and yet also needy, begging, towards them :slap: ! But they are not aggressive back - and I wonder if either Pukitis or Makonite will approach the nest next year, when hopefully Lubana and Sartas will be starting a new family - then they will chased away :mrgreen: ! I would love to watch more but of course, the battery at some point has to run out and in any case, they are probably going to spend less and less time at the nest, so there will be soon be nothing much to see - I am going to miss them all!!

Thank you (and Liz01) for all the updates, pictures and videos throughout the season :2thumbsup: They were brilliant :nod:

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”