Latvian WTE nest webcamera: Juras-Erglis 2014

White-tailed eagles in Latvia

Moderator: Moderators

ame

Re: Latvian WTE nest webcamera: Juras-Erglis 2014

Post by ame »

May 8th was the day when there was some human disturbance in the forest which made the parents flee from the nest for more than 5 hours. during this time the chicks were alone in the nest and their behaviour could be observed without a parent standing in the way. most of the time they were lying down but there was some fighting, too.

after the interference Sartas came home and fed the babies who were very hungry so there was more pecking than ever before during a feeding. to my surprise i finally realized that quite often Pukitis was the one who started the exchange of blows. this made me also look back to see if it was always so. it wasn't; Pukitis had to grow a few more days older before he started.

so far i had assumed that it was the bigger Makonite who was oppressing the smaller Pukitis and beating him. (i suppose most of us thought like this.)
naturally Makonite didn't like the blows which Pukitis was giving her and so she then hit Pukitis back twice as hard and he ducked in the bottom of the nest. Kukelke was so observant already then that he saw that Pukitis was also giving blows.
[color=#FF8000]On 08 May 2014, 14:54[/color] Kukelke wrote:... I just saw the smallest one even peck at the other.
viewtopic.php?p=319027#p319027

i made some clips which demonstrate how Pukitis was the quarrelsome sibling and not just the innocent suffering little baby. of course Makonite started some fights, too. -later Makonite beat Pukitis also without him making the first move. it now seems that perhaps Pukitis himself made her assume this beating habit. at least he strengthened her inclination to it.

here are the Pontu clips of Sartas returning and feeding the chicks
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Thanks, ame, for your interesting reviews! Both chicks grew up to be strong enough for the life ;-)

It is so nice to watch these videos of the 8th May knowing the Happy End - no pecking between the chicks feels to be dangerous or threatening. It was really wonderful that they both grew up to beautiful eagle youngsters.
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Hi Liz :hi:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Hi Owlie :hi:

Ame :hi: , thank you for this review.
In fact, I thought, poor Pukite. It is interesting to see that I was so very wrong. This was partly because Pukite was allowed immediately after hatching, of Lubana alone. There were even people in the vicinity. Since then my compassion has become the "poor" Pukite.
Owlie wrote:It was really wonderful that they both grew up to beautiful eagle youngsters.
How Owlie writes, they are really vigorous juveniles.
I would like to see what they do now 8-)
lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

ame :hi: Thank you very much! :thumbs:
We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings dominate nature, before they have learned to control themselves. -Albert Schweitzer
I have been studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called "lower animals" versus the traits and dispositions of man. The result humiliates me. - Mark Twain
ame

Post by ame »

i found another interesting clip in the Pontu archive. it's from the afternoon on May 11th when Makonite was 11 and Pukitis 9 days old. the chicks were alone in the nest, sleeping after being fed up to the tips of their beaks by both Sartas and Lubana each in turns.
at 14:58 Pukitis woke up and got up, stretched his tiny wings and made a few flaps with them: his first wing exercise! :chick:

then he noticed sister Makonite who is lying beside him and gave her quite a blow on the back of her neck. Image
Makonite got up in an instant and gave Pukitis two or three at least equally hard blows. Image
these made Pukitis lie down still in the bottom of the nest. he shouldn't tease his sister like that... Image

then Makonite started turning in the nest ... quite obviously she planned to make a poopshot ... she turned her bottom toward Pukitis who just lifted his head ... but just in time he pulled his head back down! it was so close! :slap: :rotf:

then Makonite stretched her wings and made a few strong wing exercise moves, too, her first ones! :chick:

this is a happy birthday video to Macko! :wave:
lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

ame, thank you, that was a really lovely episode of how the wisdom of life comes :mrgreen: !
Hope Pukitis and Makonite both are now clever juvies and skillful hunters! :thumbs:
We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings dominate nature, before they have learned to control themselves. -Albert Schweitzer
I have been studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called "lower animals" versus the traits and dispositions of man. The result humiliates me. - Mark Twain
ame

Post by ame »

Owlie posted here a story of a swimming eaglet who was rescued in Canada in September. i moved the story and the discussion which followed here:
viewtopic.php?p=353805#p353805

i hope that in the Stories -thread this story will get more readers and watchers than here. the videos are really worth watching. thank you Owlie and Kukelke for the links! :thumbs:
ame

Post by ame »

i have found a rather interesting episode in the Pontu videos of last summer. in the morning of June 24th, which was the Midsummer's day in Latvia by the way, one cuckoo sang for such a long time that i think might be a world record. at least i've never heard anything like that before. :D

the cuckoo sang 221 cuckoos almost without breaks in three stretches within 6 min 43 s. first it sang 98 cuckoos in 2 min 57 s, made a break of 12 s, then continued with 54 cuckoos in a minute and 23 s, and then it sang one more batch of 69 cuckoos in 2 min and 2 s. some of the cuckoos were only cuc's and sometimes it made a tiny pause of a kuu's length between two proper cuckoos. anyway: an astonishing performance! :laugh:

the Midsummer's eve and day are big holidays not only in the Nordic countries but also in the Baltic countries. the celebrations date back to the pagan times when the longest day in the year was celebrated at the time of the summer solstice. at least in Finland but also maybe in other Nordic countries Midsummer is celebrated in the weekend closest to the summer solstice but in Estonia and Latvia its celebrated on the actual solstice day. last year the Midsummer feast took place on June 24th. it is traditional that the celebrations start already on the eve and continue all through the night.

so it did here last summer, too: music could be heard over the camera at the eagles' nest all through the night! the eaglet tried to sleep despite of the music but they were clearly disturbed by it: they woke up repeatedly and murmured and muttered which they usually did not so.

i think that there had to be a festival somewhere nearby. the music didn't sound like it came from someone's radio or music player, it was live music with applause between pieces. the music itself sounded ok, but it didn't quite suit the surroundings of the eagles' nest. it sounded like country/folk music with guitars. it went on all through the night with a short break at about 3:30. then the music continued till 5:08. only after that the eaglets finally could sleep in peace.
ame

Post by ame »

on that morning it also took longer than usual before the eaglet got some breakfast. at 7:09 Sartas brought them a fish which he had already eaten partly. the head and the other side of the fish was missing. Makonite took this fish first. she had learned how to eat a fish properly only on the day before. Pukitis hadn't eaten anything since the previous morning (maybe hunger also kept him sleep very light in the night). Makonite wasn't very hungry because she had eaten the big fish in the evening with her recently acquired skill. so Pukitis was able to steel the fish from her and had a good breakfast, too.

10 min after Sartas Lubana came home but i think she only brought some hay or just came to see how the kids were doing. she didn't bring any food which made Makonite very unhappy.

after Lubana had gone she took the remaining fish away from Pukitis and ate the rest, the last part in one gulp.
ame

Post by ame »

i have a bird identification problem. what bird is this singing very close to the camera?
right in the beginning there is a chiffchaff singing a little further from the nest. then the eaglets both talk a little. then the unknown bird begins and sings for a long time... and again eaglets make some very drowsy squeaks, and some louder, too. sometimes also a golden oriole sings and there are some other voices, too, but they are much further away than this mystery bird.

i have a hunch that the unknown voice might belong to a blackcap (Sylvia atricapilla). :dunno:
(i hope it is not as trivial as the chaffinch was in the summer... :blush: :mrgreen: )
vainamoinen

Post by vainamoinen »

ame wrote:
i have a hunch that the unknown voice might belong to a blackcap (Sylvia atricapilla). :dunno:
(i hope it is not as trivial as the chaffinch was in the summer... :blush: :mrgreen: )
Yes you are right, ame, this is Sylvia atricapilla.
ame

Post by ame »

thank you vainamoinen! :wave:

i'll copy my question and your answer to the What Bird is This? -thread because it is suitable for collecting this kind of question - answer pairs. in that way these will also be collected in one place and will be easy to find later.

you'll fin this thread under the Expert Answers -topic, here:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=255

the title "Expert Answers" may sound rather solemn and demanding. nevertheless i think that anyone who knows the answers to questions written here may answer in this topic. our true experts like Urmas Sellis, Renno Nellis, Janis Kuze, and other professionals that we know are usually so busy doing their proper work that it is understandable that they can't answer all our (sometimes perhaps trivial) questions. so i think this is a topic were we may help each other. -also discussions of the answers are naturally allowed.

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”