Latvian WtE nest webcamera: Juras-erglis 2015

White-tailed eagles in Latvia

Moderator: Moderators

ame

Re: Latvian WtE nest webcamera: Juras-erglis 2015

Post by ame »

now the woodpecker settled on the rim to enjoy the beautiful morning. :innocent:

the whole normal view video.
IceAge

Post by IceAge »

:mrgreen:

*Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.* Albert Einstein
ame

Post by ame »

a great tit.

and some other tit! a coal tit, Parus ater?

or were both the same coal tit? :puzzled:

the long video:

there were some great tit's voices, too, but well before the coal tit arrived.
Hagnat

Post by Hagnat »

10:04 Grey-Headed Woodpecker still there and also one or two Coal Tits in view. Close sound before that.
10:11 GHW gone.
ame

Post by ame »

10:11 the greyheaded finally left.
ame

Post by ame »

i think it was a coal tit all the time after all. first the tit was on the top branch.

then it jumped down and it had the coal tit's white stripe in the back of its head.

there weren't any great tit's voices either, only some very high-pitched beeping.
Hagnat

Post by Hagnat »

ame wrote:.... there weren't any great tit's voices either, only some very high-pitched beeping.
What you hear is Coal Tit.
Hagnat

Post by Hagnat »

Adult male Grey-Headed Woodpecker 09:52 - 10:09 (clips from pictures in archive)
ame

Post by ame »

Hagnat wrote:... What a show.
wasn't it! :laugh:
i so much like this nest camera even outside the season. this is a perfect place to see all kinds of birds at short distance, unlike for example siga- or red deer or hyljes cameras. there the numbers of species are so much smaller than here, not to mention the number of identifiable ones.

thank you for the woodpecker pictures! :thumbs:
the Pontu camera has so much better resolution than the live camera even though this is good, too. we saw that especially well yesterday with the rings of the visitor eagle. :nod:
Hagnat

Post by Hagnat »

ame wrote: i so much like this nest camera even outside the season. this is a perfect place to see all kinds of birds at short distance, unlike for example siga- or red deer or hyljes cameras. there the numbers of species are so much smaller than here, not to mention the number of identifiable ones.
I don't think the number of bird species here is exceptional. What is exceptional is that we see so many, and so close. I think it is caused by the high, more or les 'isolated', tree and the eagles nest as rich source of food.

Btw. This month I have noted so far 42 bird species. Both Grey Headed Woodpecker and Coal Tit I had heard already.
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

It was wonderful to watch the woodpecker live for such a long, undisturbed time! He sat on the brim for amost 8 minutes just looking around, no hurry. All in all he spent more than 25 minutes there, starting from the noise in the cellar.
I thought it was a green woodpecker, picus viridus, so I have learnt something again today! Which adds to the joy of watching the nest. Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge! :thumbs:
ame

Post by ame »

Hagnat wrote:... Btw. This month I have noted so far 42 bird species. Both Grey Headed Woodpecker and Coal Tit I had heard already.
i knew that you'd be making a list! :laugh:
do you count both seen and heard or only seen ones? or both separately?
Hagnat

Post by Hagnat »

Hagnat wrote:... Btw. This month I have noted so far 42 bird species. Both Grey Headed Woodpecker and Coal Tit I had heard already.
ame wrote:i knew that you'd be making a list! :laugh: do you count both seen and heard or only seen ones? or both separately?
I only started September 1 with making a list for this cam and I make no distinction between seen and heard. To me it is the same. Observed species.
Species visiting the nest (tree) are not the only species seen. It must be possible to compile a list of species seen at the nest as reported in this topic, but with over 16000 messages that would be quite a task.
ame

Post by ame »

12:19 a buzzard? it landed on the nest tree top and called a few calls there. then it continued.

and finally a jay called. kraaa -kraa!! :laugh:
i wonder if this was a real buzzard?
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

12:21 a buzzard landed on the nest tree for a second (or a jay pretending to be one :laugh: )
ame

Post by ame »

12:25 i think i heard voices of two buzzards talking to each other in flight.
there was also a jay commenting this conversation again. (and i think there's noise of an excavator rumbling rocks).
ame

Post by ame »

i have been checking Pontu pictures from recent days. two days ago the morning was so beautiful that i made a video of the Pontu pictures taken at 5:14 - 8:30. in the beginning the Moon crescent enter the picture in the upper left corner, and leaves the picture at 5:30. then soon it becomes light. fog lingers above the meadow... and the Sun rises. :innocent:
each picture is shown for 1 s.

BTW: Liz asked Mr B about the camera not working last night. he replied that
from now on the camera will shut down at 22:00 (10 pm) and will start at 5:00 in the morning.

thank you Liz and Mr B! :wave:
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

Marfo wrote:2:50 Cam is off. It was off late last night so maybe it has been off for hours. Did they decide to shut the cam during nightime?
So they did. Good for the camera.
Pity about the night sounds though. But on the other hand, there are not as many interesting sounds as a few months ago.
ame

Post by ame »

15:38 a bullfinch came to call. :laugh:
i think it was a female but it was so badly in the shadow that it's difficult to say.
i just was thinking that we haven't seen any of them though their voices have often been heard. :rolleyes:
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

ame wrote:a bullfinch came to call. :laugh:
I was just about to write that! Although I didn't know what it was.
I bet you also have a picture? If so, I won't bother. It's not a great picture anyway...

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”