March 3
begins here:
viewtopic.php?p=513736#p513736
picture album:
http://s561.photobucket.com/user/anmael ... t=9&page=1
playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... N0jHkRJrcz

6:52:43 Tramp in. 6:54:12 Tramp out.
6:54:27 Anchor in. 6:54:29 a white-tailed eagle landed on the top branch.
7:21 mating attempt. the male was Tramp with his right angle. he came down a little earlier.

7:30:07 Tramp out. 7:30:15 Anchor out.

8:57:50 the tufted eagle came. it had a B&W tail with two large V-shaped spots, hence the name DoubleW.

9:24:48 DoubleW flew away.

9:50:22 Anchor in. 9:52:48 Anchor out.

10:30:43 Tramp in. 10:31:07 Tramp out.
to be continued...
ame

Post by ame »

March 3 continued:
12:01:30 a white-tailed eagle came. this eagle is a bit of a problem because in some pictures it seemed to have the straight angle on its wing like Tramp. in some pictures the straight angle didn't seem to be there.

the spots on the tail seemed an unbroken line like sometimes also the spots of Tramp do, but the "long mustache" of Tramp seemed to be missing.

anyway i think that this eagle was Tramp. it is the simplest explanation.

12:02:40 Tramp flew away. this is a video of its visit.

to be continued...
ame

Post by ame »

March 3 continued:

12:57:07 Anchor in. 13:05:04 Anchor out. it didn't show its tail very well.

13:29:35 a new eagle with white tail came and called. it was a male who was not Tramp. Tramp had a right angle in the backside of its wing. instead of a right angle the wing feathers of this eagle formed a round edge. also the black tail mark was different than the marks of Tramp. the black marks seemed to form a pattern like a moon crescent when seen from the side. we began to call this eagle RoundWing and the people in DD began to call him Raimis. in the following i shall call him RoundWing because the identity of this eagle became a problem later.

13:32:33 an attack by another white-tailed eagle. the attacker was probably Tramp but it was impossible to get a picture showing the tail properly.

after the attack RoundWing stayed on the nest. he got up to the left branch giving a nice picture of his tail. he has even longer mustache on the sides of his tail than Tramp has.

13:48:54 RoundWing (Raimis) out.
(to be continued...)
ame

Post by ame »

March 3 continued:

14:01:21 an eagle with white tail came in. on white feather in the middle of the tail seemed to be in a "wrong" place above the other feathers. the mustache on the sides are long. this was probably RoundWing.

the eagle was very excited, calling a lot. it didn't give a good profile picture of its wing.

14:01:51 RoundWing out. this is a video of this visit.

14:04:33 Anchor in. 14:06:10 Anchor out.
ame

Post by ame »

March 3 continued:

16:29:24 RoundWing in. 16:40:01 RoundWing out.

16:41:24 RoundWing in. 16:43:01 RoundWing out.

(to be continued...)
ame

Post by ame »

March 3 continued:

16:43:16 RoundWing in. 16:43:25 Anchor in.

16:44:20 RoundWing out. 16:50:46 Anchor out.
17:57:23 a young eagle came. this was clearly younger than the spotty-bottomed eagles who had been seen earlier. it had very dark eyes and also a lot of black in its B&W tail. i call this eagle VeryYoung although it's maybe 2nd winter or even older.

18:02: 52 VeryYoung flew away.

18:19:15 RoundWing in. 18:21:14 RoundWing out.

on March 3 we saw not only "our resident eagles" Tramp and Anchor (Erna) but three new eagles: DoubleW, RoundWing and VeryYoung.

in natural sciences people are looking for simple models to explain the observed phenomena. the model which can explain most of the observations and needs the smallest number of variables is considered to be the best model. a complex system is more improbable than a simpler system and is more difficult to explain with few variables. in our case each new eagle needed to explain our observations is a new variable and increases complexity. this is why i try to study the evidence very carefully before i add a new eagle to our gallery, and i do it only when i think it is necessary. three new eagles is many new eagles in one day. i'm rather confident that DoubleW, RoundWing and VeryYoung are different new individuals.
ame

Post by ame »

March 4

begins here:
viewtopic.php?p=513968#p513968
picture album:
video playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... FvhvXLSKLX
(the time information on the titles should be correct but names of eagles may be whatever. i made the videos so early that i didn't know what was really going on there. also the order of the videos is rather random because organizing them would be a big task. the organizing tools in the Tube are so poor.)

6:50 the camera started and the spotty-bottomed Anchor was lying on the nest. another eagle with white tail was sitting on the left branch.
6:57:52 the eagle from the top branch flew away. it was impossible to see who it was.
6:58:42 Anchor flew out.

7:23:25 VeryYoung in. 7:25:57 VeryYoung out.

7:55:49 a white-tailed eagle with a big fish head came. it looked like RoundWing.

besides the round back edge of the wing both RoundWind and this eagle have a very thin black edge on the tail feathers.

it ate most of the fish head, leaving only a small piece.
8:15:06 it flew away showing its tail nicely. i'd say that this was most probably RoundWing although i cannot be certain of it.
(to be continued...)
ame

Post by ame »

(March 4 continues:)

10:02:30 a spotty-bottomed eagle with B&W tail came. it ate the rest of the fish.

it had very large black spots on its B&W tail. the spots didn't look similar to any other eagle's spots so this had to be a new eagle. hence the name VeryLargeSpots.

11:07:55 VeryLargeSpots flew away.

12:01:22 RoundWing in.

12:01:57 Anchor in.

she began working with RoundWing in all friendship. it seemed that Anchor had changed boyfriends overnight.
12:17:34 RoundWing out. 12:21:00 Anchor out.

(to be continued...)
ame

Post by ame »

14:55:46 RoundWing in. 14:55:56 Anchor in.

15:14 a mating attempt. in all respects they behaved like a well established young couple.
15:28:30 RoundWing out. 15:29:09 Anchor in.

16:32:43 Anchor in. 16:32:50 RoundWing in.
16:43:45 RoundWing out. 16:43:47 Anchor out.
(to be continued...)
ame

Post by ame »

(March 4 continued)
17:31:53 Anchor in. 17:37:03 Anchor out.

17:39:43 Anchor in. she called. 17:41:14 Anchor out. after that calls from the forest.

17:45:01 a spotty-bottomed eagle with B&W tail came. it was clearly not Anchor. it had vertical stripes on both sides of the tail and in the middle there was a horizontal stripe (or bar so i first called this eagle SpottyBar). later i thought of a better name for this eagle: CapitalH as the tail pattern reminded me of a big capital H letter.

17:50:25 CapitalH flew away.

18:03:00 RoundWing in. 18:04:17 CapitalH in. it called: it was a female.
18:04:30 a third eagle attacked. all flew out. then calls from the forest.

18:07:24 CapitalH in. she arranged sticks on the nest.

she seemed to have large white spots on her breast (so i temporarily called her WhiteBreast but i shall keep the tailmark-related name CapitalH).

18:10:26 CapitalH out.
(to be continued...)
ame

Post by ame »

18:10:39 Anchor in. 18:11:10 Anchor out.

18:12:30 CapitalH in.

18:12:53 RoundWing in. both called a lot. 18:13:38 CapitalH out.

18:14:26 a spotty-bottomed eagle landed and made RoundWing jump to the left branch.
this is the profile of this spotty-bottomed eagle.

18:14:54 it took off and showed its tail.

this doesn't look like the tails of either Anchor's or CapitalH.
was there a third spotty-bottomed eagle with B&W tail? :puzzled:
edit: i later came to the conclusion that it would be very unlikely that two so similar new eagles would arrive almost simultaneously. so i think that this eagle was CapitalH. sometimes the was a dim vertical line in the middle of its tail.
(to be continued...)
ame

Post by ame »

18:16:06 a spotty-bottomed eagle landed on the nest. RoundWing had stayed on the branch all the time.
18:17:04 the spotty-bottomed eagle flew away. it was the same eagle as on the previous time.
it had three big black spots on the tail, one in the middle and two above it on both sides. it reminded me of a face with eyes and a mouth open in a cry like in a painting called "The Srceam" by a Norwegian painter Edvard Munch (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scream). so i named this eagle Munch.

edit: i later came to the conclusion that it would be very unlikely that two so similar new eagles would arrive almost simultaneously. sometimes there was a dim vertical line in the middle of its tail. the strange eagle(s) on March 4th had white spots on the breast and then i called it WhiteBreast. later when i was going through material from March 4th sometimes CapitalH and sometimes Munch had white spots on the breast. that should have made me realize already then that they were one and the same bird.
on March 8th and 9th tail feathers of CapitalH were unorganized after the fight so that sometimes there was a dark feather in her tail and in the next moment it was missing. so now (March 21) i think that this eagle which i named Munch was actually CapitalH. in the following i i shall change the names Munch to CapitalH.

18:17:09 Anchor came and called.
18:17:39 she jumped to the left branch and RoundWing flew away.

18:17:56 Anchor out.

18:19:23 Anchor in. 18:19:48 Anchor out.

18:22:39 Anchor in and someone else lands on tree top. it was probably RoundWing because she was not troubled. Anchor was panting.
18:23:39 the tree made a swing and Anchor startled as someone flew away from the top.
18:24:29 Anchor jumped to the left branch.
18:24:31 RoundWing came in and Anchor came down from the branch.
18:28:02 Anchor out. RoundWing stayed on his branch.

18:28:17 CapitalH (previously called Munch) in and jumped to the left branch a little later.

18:31:00 both CapitalH (previously called Munch) and RoundWing flew away.
(to be continued...)
ame

Post by ame »

18:34:29 Anchor in.
18:34:38 Anchor is flushed out by someone who didn't show itself at all.

18:38:38 CapitalH (previously called Munch) in.
18:42:19 CapitalH (previously called Munch) out.

18:45:33 CapitalH (previously called Munch) in.
18:42:19 CapitalH (previously called Munch) out.

18:45:33 CapitalH (previously called Munch) in.
18:54:52 CapitalH (previously called Munch) out. it was almost completely dark.

this was an even busier day than the previous. i think that altogether 5 different individuals visited the nest during the day. Anchor, VeryYoung and RoundWing were seen already earlier. besides them two new eagles were seen: VeryLargeSpots and CapitalH. Tramp was not seen at all. Anchor had taken a new boyfriend to replace him: RoundWing who was named Raimis (?) by DD people.

it's amazing that the new eagles looked very similar to each other and the resident female Anchor (Erna?). all were spotty-bottomed eagles whose tails were black & white, they had pearls on their back and none had rings. apparently all were females, too, as far as voices can tell us.
ame

Post by ame »

after March 4 i didn't even try to keep track on who is who. i'm sure though that neither of the female that we saw yesterday is the first "Erna" who replaced Lady as Tramp's girlfriend. about the present male i have no opinion so far.

i'll try to see next what has happened after March 4th. :dunno:
aita

Post by aita »

:hi:
Good morning
Do you really want them to be identified. You need a program for it...
a little light, windy weather, the sun is low, temporary marks by poop ... :slap:
too much stress and tired eyes. :nod:
ame

Post by ame »

aita, i agree: temporary marks like disordered feathers or poop-pearls on the back are no good for identification. tail marks are permanent on adults, and semi-permanent on immature 'spotty-bottomed' young eagles. that's why i have been 'reading' those marks.

March 5
begins here:
viewtopic.php?p=514192#p514192
picture album:
video playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 2y9g6lMeKb
again the videos are not in chronological order and the titles may be a bit this and that.

6:54:54 - 6:55:27 CapitalH (previously called Munch) was on the nest in the crack of dawn.

6:51:00 RoundWing in. 6:57:00 CapitalH in. they seemed to be in friendly terms with each other, digging the nest hole side by side. CapitalH pulled his feathers on several occasions. it seemed that RoundWing had got a new girlfriend overnight.

7:12:19 RoundWing out. 7:12:17 CapitalH out.

7:34:01 CapitalH in. 7:35:53 CapitalH out.

8:16:43 CapitalH in. a male called near, probably on the top. it probably came at the same time as CapitalH. 8:27:02 CapitalH out.

8:27:17 CapitalH in. 8:31:06 CapitalH out and returned right away at 8:31:24.
8:32:27 an eagle with white-looking tail flew away from the top. (the tails of the spotty-bottomed eagles have also looked rather white when they have flown off the nest.)
8:32:32 CapitalH out, seemed to fly after the white-tailed eagle.
(to be continued...)
ame

Post by ame »

(March 5 continues:)
9:05:49 CapitalH in. 9:25:48 CapitalH out. this time her vertical line seemed to form more like two separate spots, but changing of the spot pattern is not unusual. also the black spot on the tail of RoundWing consists of black spots on tips of four feathers. sometimes they look like one big triangle standing on one of its angles, sometimes two smaller spots next to each other, or sometimes they form a line of four small spots, depending on how widely spread the feathers are.

9:30:18 CapitalH came in calling loud at someone who was flying above (out of sight).
9:33:15 CapitalH out. more eagle's calls were heard from outside the camera view.

9:33:53 RoundWing in. 9:34:00 CapitalH in. both called.

here began a very restless period when (at least) three eagles were at and around the nest and in the surrounding forest. CapitalH and RoundWing came to the nest either alone or together. a third eagle was flying around and trying to conquer the nest. the third eagle had a male voice and only RoundWing took part in the encounters. CapitalH remained a bystander but she called a lot. so i assume that the third eagle was a male.

10:52:49 the third eagle made an attack on RoundWing. it can be seen that the second male also had a white tail with two spots. this gif also shows how the pattern of spots on RoungWing's tail changes from one moment to the next.
(to be continued...)
ame

Post by ame »

(March 5 continued:)
10:56:09 RoundWing in. 10:56:42 CapitalH in. they didn't seem to be at ease with each other. in the early morning CapitalH (previously called Munch) seemed to be RoundWing' girlfriend. maybe they were upset about a third eagle who followed them.
10:57:04 a third eagle flew away from the top of a spruce nearby.
11:03 CapitalH pulled a feather on RoundWing.
11:05 CapitalH tried to kiss RoundWing. 11:09 she kissed RoundWing more. then they moved a stick around but mostly RoundWing was zooming up and around in the sky.
11:22:28 RoundWing out. 11:22:35 CapitalH out. they circled together in the sky.

11:33 RoundWing and CapitalH returned and a white-tailed eagle flew by. CapitalH looked in the opposite direction at something (someone?) else. was there a fourth eagle, too? voices of at least three could be heard, the two on the nest and one from outside.
again some flying in and out and a lot of calling followed. when RoundWing was on the nest CapitalH kissed him. both worked a little with sticks while the third eagle wasn't too close.

11:49 RoundWing tried to mate with CapitalH. CapitalH had already earlier clearly shown her interest toward RoundWing and now RoundWing showed that CapitalH was a noteworthy candidate for a girlfriend.

they continued nest work and kissing and the white-tailed continued circling the nest sometimes farther, sometimes closer.
(to be continued...)
ame

Post by ame »

13:09 the white-tailed eagle landed on the poop branch.
13:19 two other (big) birds were flying in the sky on the right. i cannot tell if these were eagles, too, or if they were ravens.

this time one could see some details of the third eagle's tail. it also had two spots on its tail like RoundWing, but the left spot looked much bigger than the right spot. this was a new tail pattern seen here. i called this eagle BigLeft.

13:23:30 RoundWing flew out. 13:24:12 BigLeft took off the poopbranch and dove down. 2 s later at 13:24:14 another eagle flashed down in the lower left corner. the eagle was in only one frame of the video. it was sideways with its back to the left, right wing up, left wing down and the claws were clutched in 'fists' under the white tail. it was probably RoundWing going after BigLeft. BigLeft was behind the nest at the time of this picture.

then two eagles flew close to each other out of the left side of the picture. here's a video of this event.

(to be continued...)
ame

Post by ame »

13:26:11 BigLeft landed on the nest and called. someone flew over and called.
this is a comparison of the left profiles of BigLeft (upper panel) with RoundWing (lower panel).

a video of the arrival of BigLeft.

13:34:20 BigLeft flew out. here's a picture of his tail.

a video of his departure. this was the only time when he was on the nest.

(to be continued...)

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”