Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis: Discussions

White-tailed eagles in Latvia

Moderator: Moderators

Sonchik

Re: Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis: Discussions

Post by Sonchik »

For the last two days, I've been remembering the stories of ornithologists. How they view nests in the spring - which nests are populated. Then they check to see if there are any eggs. Then they visit the nests when they can see or hear the chicks. Then they come to ring the chicks.
Sometimes ornithologists wonder where the eggs or chicks have gone.
I also remember the words of ornithologists that sometimes eagles take a break from breeding.
If we talk about the nest of Estonian golden eagles, where the female ate her egg, then we can talk about a conscious break in reproduction. But if Milda doesn't hatch, then without the camera, birdwatchers would never understand why there are no eaglets. They wouldn't even notice that the male had changed.
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

Ajeta :wave: , Sonchik :nod: , Handbyl :innocent:

I have never before seen Milda so nervous (she's been sitting on the eggs since 14:27 - with short breaks) as in the past few days; or maybe I've just missed these last days of incubation in the earlier years. I wonder whether she has always looked at the eggs the way she's looking at them now? Listening, evaluating, doubting, a bit curious and a bit detached. You tell me. :unsure:
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

rebelde wrote: April 19th, 2021, 5:02 pm Ajeta :wave: , Sonchik :nod: , Handbyl :innocent:

I have never before seen Milda so nervous (she's been sitting on the eggs since 14:27) as in the past few days; or maybe I've just missed these last days of incubation in the earlier years. I wonder whether she has always looked at the eggs the way she's looking at them now? Listening, evaluating, doubting, a bit curious and a bit detached. You tell me. :unsure:
Yes, eagles always get restless before the eaglets hatch. They listen to egg conversations and examine eggs. Then Milda looks at the little eaglets in the same way. She holds her gaze for a few seconds on each eaglet.
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

Sonchik wrote: Then Milda looks at the little eaglets in the same way. She holds her gaze for a few seconds on each eaglet.
That I'm familiar with. :nod:
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

rebelde wrote: April 19th, 2021, 5:02 pm You tell me. :unsure:
:hi: rebelde (I chose that emoji that always looks like someone drowning and suddenly putting his arm upward calling for help) - I'm afraid I must pass. I'm not familiar enough with anything to make even an estimation. Within me, though, it finds it difficult to imagine that Milda would not somehow know whether it is worth staying on the eggs or not. Would there not be at least the faintest vibrations, other signs of any sort for her to sense? (I'm not talking about magic, but physiological things.) Well, I shall just have to wait - and not see, bc regardless if there be hatchlings or not, my question will not be answered :laugh:
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

handbyl wrote: April 19th, 2021, 4:29 pm And thanks to this camera, we are privileged to be part of knowledge building :book: about the world around us.
:thumbs:
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

Ajeta wrote: April 19th, 2021, 5:51 pm ...
Within me, though, it finds it difficult to imagine that Milda would not somehow know whether it is worth staying on the eggs or not. Would there not be at least the faintest vibrations, other signs of any sort for her to sense? (I'm not talking about magic, but physiological things.) Well, I shall just have to wait - and not see, bc regardless if there be hatchlings or not, my question will not be answered :laugh:
Sometimes the eagles sit on the eggs for two months. They don't know, they just wait.
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

Sonchik wrote: April 19th, 2021, 6:14 pm Sometimes the eagles sit on the eggs for two months. They don't know, they just wait.
So that's why those eggs survive all this fighting and trampling around: they are truly impenetrable :laugh:
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

Ajeta wrote: Would there not be at least the faintest vibrations, other signs of any sort for her to sense? (I'm not talking about magic, but physiological things.)
:hi: Ajeta (yes this is a weird but very uselful emoji; the drowning swot) :laugh:

I've normally joined the cam watchers by the time there has already been a hatch, so I'm a newbie in the hatch-inspectors' circle. (Thank you.)
rodjur

Post by rodjur »

I was thinking maybe Milda is trying to be prepared to bring fish in case egg hatches. Maybe she still don't trust a new fellow and she knows that to leave a fish in a hands of a new guy is risky. It was just an idea, but it is interesting
handbyl

Post by handbyl »

Dunno - but the way this is going, Milda will fish and Mr C will feed and guard. This might turn out to be an eagle nest for a New Age :thumbs:
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

rebelde wrote: April 19th, 2021, 6:36 pm :hi: Ajeta (yes this is a weird but very uselful emoji; the drowning swot) :laugh:

I've normally joined the cam watchers by the time there has already been a hatch, so I'm a newbie in the hatch-inspectors' circle. (Thank you.)
So am I, rebelde, so am I. :nod: :blush:
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

handbyl wrote: April 19th, 2021, 9:49 pm Dunno - but the way this is going, Milda will fish and Mr C will feed and guard. This might turn out to be an eagle nest for a New Age :thumbs:
That would be another fascinating thing to watch if those eggs hatched: Could Milda deviate from her usual behaviour (be on nest or nearby) if necessary and do the fishing herself?
By the way, I found a nice post from you written at the time of the first egg - obviously you foresaw the drama to come by its omens:
https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 34#p781434
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

balistar wrote: April 19th, 2021, 11:15 pm Regardless of the fact that in the raptors' nests it is usually the females who rule the nest, to be honest, i personally don't like the term "Boss" that much. I think it does not do justice to the actual task and work of the males. It's not little boys who dance to the female's whistle all the time.
:wave: balistar, may I thank you from the bottom of my heart! I've never understood the use of this term (unlike, of course, as the occasional joke). The male is smaller and of course "knows" that. But no partner can do without the other, both have their specific tasks, but there doesn't seem any idea of bossing around between them. Just as eagle parents do not teach their children, they do not direct their partners. At leasts, that's my impression, and I'm very thankful you brought that up.
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

Ajeta wrote: So am I, rebelde, so am I. :nod: :blush:
:gathering: - And now we have the eggtalk. :headroll:
balistar

Post by balistar »

Ajeta wrote: April 20th, 2021, 1:04 am ..... (unlike, of course, as the occasional joke). .....
:wave: Ajeta, same here.

Thank you, now i'd like to borrow the cute handshake smiley from Sonchik, her smileys are so cute.
balistar

Post by balistar »

rebelde wrote: April 20th, 2021, 10:45 am :gathering: - And now we have the eggtalk. :headroll:
:wave: rebelde, now we glue to the screen, eyes and ears wide open :laugh:

The egg/s now must be rolled more frequently to avoid that the hatching chick stay stuck to the shell.
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

balistar wrote: April 20th, 2021, 11:43 am Thank you, now i'd like to borrow the cute handshake smiley from Sonchik, her smileys are so cute.
:wave: Yes, they are!

I remembered earlier that I wanted to thank you also very much for your detailed post on egg talk. Especially as you made me aware of the air problem. It was very helpful information indeed for me, as I - like rebelde - have never really been much around at this time, but usually come into the forum when chicks have been born and even already grown a little. So thanks very much, it was kind to give us newbies a succinct introduction. :nod:
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

rodjur wrote: April 19th, 2021, 8:19 pm I was thinking maybe Milda is trying to be prepared to bring fish in case egg hatches. Maybe she still don't trust a new fellow and she knows that to leave a fish in a hands of a new guy is risky. It was just an idea, but it is interesting
:wave: Hi rodjur, sorry for this late reply. I too find interesting what you thought.
In a way, one of them will need to adapt for this to work. Either Milda who - it is said - usually doesn't hunt early in the life of the chicks, but may well have to, now that her partner may not be into the thing. Or else Chips adapts, who isn't the real father, and who came into the process late, yet may get the hang of it and be prompted into doing what a real father would do. The whole situation is not out of an eagle's life instruction manual, so adaptation will be required somewhere. As far as I know, evolution allows for adaptation, it may just need a bit of useful coincidence to let it happen.
handbyl

Post by handbyl »

So, a change of scheduling all of a sudden. Mr C away for a while and Milda nest-bound. Egg-talk so a hungry beak a hatching away.

A fish from Mr C would be appropriate, cold-feet not withstanding. But having been so very broody, why would he abandon efforts now? Seems odd, given that hormones are at play.

I prefer that he is out hunting with intent.

Here's hoping...

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”