Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis Durbe 2018

White-tailed eagles in Latvia

Moderator: Moderators

ame

Re: Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis Durbe 2018

Post by ame »

Sonchik wrote: December 17th, 2018, 9:03 pm ... It is necessary to read forums for 2016 in more detail.
How you think, who is an owner of a nest at eagles, a male or a female? Who chooses a nest and begins to fight for it respectively?
Liz has watched more nests than i, also bald eagles. i have more limited experience. i have watched fewer nest but i think i have watched them rather thoroughly.

i think that the couple owns the nest and the territory together. in the old times people were able to watch the life at nests only from far and for limited times. from far it is difficult to see who is who on the nest. with binoculars it would be impossible to say anything for sure. one would only see that the nest was occupied more or less all the time. by whom, that is another question.
the two turbulent spring seasons 2016 and 2017 were difficult to follow even from the live camera. it took me many weeks of work to find out what happened.

in 2016 Robert returned to the nest but Durbe was gone. Robert got several hopeful and handsome bride candidates who were interested in him but Robert turned his back at them. after a few weeks Robert stopped coming. we never saw him again. without his wife the territory lost its meaning, at least for that season.

in 2017 a similar thing happened with Vents and Shilute. they were together since July 2016. i believe that they were preparing for their first breeding season when Shilute disappeared. Vents waited for her at the nest in vain. also he got new bride candidates but he wanted no-one of them. after a few weeks he stopped coming as well.

books say that if a WTE spouse dies then the remaining eagle finds a a new spouse soon, in the same breeding season, even within weeks. i am not so sure about this. then nest may look occupied by two eagles all the time, but it's impossible to see who these eagles are with only binoculars or even telescopes.

these two examples, Robert and Vents, seem to suggest that in established couples (at least in some cases) the remaining spouse misses the lost partner so that replacement does not happen at once. they need some time of mourning. - this does not mean that they remain widows/widowers for the rest of their lives. it seems that Sulev has found a new wife: Suvi. Sulev was paired with Linda in 2009 - 2013 (maybe even later).

i can't even guess do females take new husbands quicker than males new wives. in the examples which Liz wrote about it happened to be the male who went missing. we have lost females. - Liz didn't mention how long it took before the females took new husbands. :puzzled:

in 2017 after Vents was gone new eagles started to come in random order, males and females in turns. male fought with each other and whoever won tried to take the female who happened to be at the nest as a girlfriend. the males tried to mate with the female at once but all the girls rejected every male's attempts. when a new female arrived she attacked the female who was already there and then the females fought with each other. the winner stayed with the male who happened to be there but they didn't accept mating. only once i remember seeing that a male and a female tried to attack together the pair who were on the nest. (i write 'a pair' because it was not an established couple). there was another attempted attack where there were indications that the attacking eagle was not alone but the female of the attacking pair stayed out of the sight.

altogether the changing of partners in 2017 was like a roulette game where new balls were thrown in the roulette wheel while it was turning around. at times there were several balls spinning at the same time. new balls kicked out older balls, took a few spins with other balls on the wheel and got kicked out in their turn. Raimis happened to stay last of the male balls. he was a fierce fighter. he had two girl balls in a row before Milda kicked out the last of them. there wasn't much "love" between Raimis and Milda in the beginning. Raimis was very hot with Milda but he had been hot with the previous girls, too. Milda banged Raimis in the head almost every time he wanted to mate with her. i think that during the summer they learned to know each other better when their (his) sex hormones cooled down.

in 2016 there were not enough eagles for this roulette game. Egle and Ansis dated long enough to get names. after Egle left Ansis in April (i think) the nest was empty for a while. then Vents came and started to occupy the nest. he didn't have to fight with anyone else than ravens (i'm not quite sure because i didn't watch the nest then). in July he found Shilute and they became a couple. they seemed to be good friends with each other from the beginning.

i'm sorry for the long post.
:slap:
ame

Post by ame »

Sonchik wrote: December 18th, 2018, 10:52 am The eagle sits on a fir-tree on the right.
this time also we see the eagle! :laugh:
10:45 some ravens flew around and the eagle landed on the tree top.

10:59 ravens fly around and "sing" to the eagle. they are keeping company to the eagle. how nice! :mrgreen:
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

ame wrote: December 18th, 2018, 10:57 am this time also we see the eagle! :laugh:
There is what wrote Lise about. The raven fussy flies around and the eagle with advantage sits on a fir-tree.

Thanks for a long post! These are very interesting reflections
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

ame, Thank you for your detailed reply. It has brought back many memories for me. :2thumbsup:

New partners were first seen on different nests after the season. That means Decorah raised her own chicks alone. That was relatively easy for her, there is a fish farm under her nest.
Big Bear, Male was seen first, after the season. Old Male was there, till the eaglet could fly, if I remember right.. An Eaglet died due to very bad weather.
Hungarian Nest, the eaglet the chick was taken out of the nest and raised elsewhere. The new Male was seen "after" the season.

Our eagles have you describe well. I forgot Sulev!

In any case, I have not observed a partner change during nest time.

But I read that it quite happened that a male WTE eagle accepted a new mate during the nest time.
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

Eagle on a fir-tree on the right from 10:45:58 till 11:15:24
Solo

Post by Solo »

Liz01 wrote: December 18th, 2018, 11:23 am ... New partners were first seen on different nests after the season. ... In any case, I have not observed a partner change during nest time. ... But I read that it quite happened that a male WTE eagle accepted a new mate during the nest time.
:hi: Liz, ame, Sonchik, Abigyl, ...
it can be that male (not in all that case) flew away (or died) after fighting for territory, nest and female? and the male come the first: first he need the territory and the nest and female after that important factors to raising chicks? (i know that from white and black storks) :puzzled:
ame

Post by ame »

yes, of course it's possible that the males (or females) have disappeared as results of fights. no new eagles were, however, not observed in the territory right after the disappearance, if i understood correct what Liz wrote.
in the cases that i have observed the females just disappeared, stopped coming and were not seen anymore.

i believe that in those battles that i saw here a lot of the action took place outside the nest, probably even the decisive fights. it also seemed that the nest was some sort of a base where both fighters returned to in their turns and then flew out again to chase the other fighter. this was the case when Milda fought with other females.
the nest is important but so is the territory as a whole. only one of the fighters can stay.

i made a summary of the events in the decisive fights in the Discussions-topic in 2017. for to make this summary i had to make up names for the eagles by myself before they were named by DDF members. Raimis was called Roundwing and for Milda i gave the name CapitalL because of the shape of her tail marks. it took a very long time before DDF member gave her any name. they were a bit superstitious because it had seemed that the female disappeared after being named.
this summary begins here:
https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 75#p516175

in the Autumn i made a video presentation of my studies on the dating of WTEs. the playlist is here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... FhCd5qQ6qR

Sonchik has made a long video of the eagle's stay on top of the spruce on the right. thank you! :2thumbsup:
i made a short clip of its departure:
https://youtu.be/Da6QNy-iyQ0
ame

Post by ame »

the eagle is on the spruce top again. :D
hah, once i was lucky! the eagle landed on the tree top at 13:24, only 20 s before my camera froze. :laugh:
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Liz01 wrote: December 18th, 2018, 11:23 am

New partners were first seen on different nests after the season. That means Decorah raised her own chicks alone. That was relatively easy for her, there is a fish farm under her nest.
Liz, Decorah new male arrived when DAD disappeared. They even thought he caused his absence.

He stayed on the branch and didn't touch kids or their food. They grew up knowing him.

But once there was an intruder or someone near nest and he helped mom.

This was a tragic but great story of this QUEEN. :bow:
ame

Post by ame »

13:58 the eagle pooped.
https://youtu.be/0x2Z2mHN6cQ

i made a close-up clip of this important event. :mrgreen:

14:00 the eagle flew away to the direction of the pond. it was probably one of our eagles. the tail was white. it can be seen flashing in the video, but i could not get a good snapshot of it. :slap:

mega2 in DDF made some pictures of the earlier eagle which show that it was an adult, too.
thank you mega2!
https://forums.dabasdati.lv/viewtopic.p ... 14#p203114
ame

Post by ame »

it's the time for the evening visit of the eagles. :rolleyes:
- actually they are late. yesterday they came at 16:04.
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

Liz01 wrote: December 18th, 2018, 10:00 am 9:59 Eagles are calling
10:00 still calling. I think both- Raimis and Milda are on the left far away
Liz01 wrote: December 18th, 2018, 10:24 am 10:23 A Raven lands on the left branch.

10:25 A jay makes eagle voices
The raven behaved very ridiculously. Do you have no video of this moment? I tried to make several times. It did not turn out.
Voices of eagles and jay somehow registered.
Still there are voices of eagles at 12:58 and 13:06
https://youtu.be/WVboHBqdhOM

The second visit of an eagle on a fir-tree on the right.
13:24
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

ame wrote: December 18th, 2018, 4:14 pm it's the time for the evening visit of the eagles. :rolleyes:
- actually they are late. yesterday they came at 16:04.
Instead of an eagle the dog came, it is possible with hunters.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Abigyl wrote: December 18th, 2018, 2:33 pm Liz, Decorah new male arrived when DAD disappeared. They even thought he caused his absence.

He stayed on the branch and didn't touch kids or their food. They grew up knowing him.

But once there was an intruder or someone near nest and he helped mom.

This was a tragic but great story of this QUEEN. :bow:
Thank you! As soon as the black storks are there, I no longer observe other cameras intensively. This is how I miss important events.
But I saw enough to know that she raised the eaglets excellent :bow: . There was always enough to eat at this nest. She is great!
hansa

Post by hansa »

Sonchik wrote: December 18th, 2018, 4:47 pm Instead of an eagle the dog came, it is possible with hunters.
Hello Sonchik, I appreciate all your contributios, but they are confusing. Your videos are too long and boring. Please keep your texts short and cut your videos to essential events. Do not ask for anciant events, explore yourself. I am afraid that many friends here share my opinion.
Thank you.
ame

Post by ame »

Sonchik wrote: December 18th, 2018, 4:43 pm The raven behaved very ridiculously. Do you have no video of this moment? I tried to make several times. It did not turn out.
i think i have recordings from this time. i'll make clips.
here we are. it's in two pieces.
10:23 the raven visited the left top branch.

10:24 some more flying circus.
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

hansa, you foreknow that you my videos long and boring, can just not watch them. :rolleyes:
When I missed broadcasting and watched video at forums, I always lacked them. Videos broke where I wanted to look further. Such people as I precisely exist. :nod: For them I will and do next the boring videos, but I will not load them more on a forum. Image
There is a lot of cut-off videos also without me.
ame

Post by ame »

Sonchik wrote: December 18th, 2018, 10:06 pm hansa, you foreknow that you my videos long and boring, can just not watch them. :rolleyes:
When I missed broadcasting and watched video at forums, I always lacked them. Videos broke where I wanted to look further. Such people as I precisely exist. :nod: For them I will and do next the boring videos, but I will not load them more on a forum. Image
There is a lot of cut-off videos also without me.
there was a report about Sonchik's long videos and i'm afraid that i could not manage the report properly. i'm not accustomed to deal with matters like this. :slap: :blush:

anyway i think that the report was not appropriate or necessary. i can't understand in what way the long videos can be confusing. i agree with Sonchick: if any video seems too long/too boring/too short /too anything to be interesting to watch it one can stop watching at any time. don't feel obliged to watch or read everything. you can select whatever you like.

good night! :offtobed:
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

ame wrote: December 16th, 2018, 2:52 pm that video i forgot to publish! :slap:
it's ok now.
Video is still inaccessible. :sad:

Thanks for today's ravens. :thumbs:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

I do not think, that anyone wants not to be here, because there are long videos. There are 3 video makers here.
Short videos by ame, long videos by Sonchik and and edited videos of me. :laugh:

So everyone can choose what he would like to see.

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”