Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis Durbe 2019

White-tailed eagles in Latvia

Moderator: Moderators

Sonchik

Re: Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis Durbe 2019

Post by Sonchik »

ame wrote: January 1st, 2019, 9:23 am do you mean that it was more vertical in the summer than now?
Yes.
today the trunk will be almost horizontal many times because of the wind. :slap:
In summer day there was strong wind too. The lower window for December 18. An average window - now.

Perhaps, in the winter juice leaves a tree. Or the weight of a nest affects?
ame

Post by ame »

10:12:17 the stream has started to struggle and stutter. i have the last picture at 10:13:10.
then a picture at 10:15.
then resumed at 10:16.
the wind is too hard. :faint:
Sonchik wrote: January 1st, 2019, 6:16 am ... If to curtail a chat and to enter anew, then messages in the last hour will be visible. If not to close a tab, then it is possible to see messages in three days (depends on the number of messages, activity of communication).
The author of broadcasting, at will can keep messages.
aha, thank you for the information. :2thumbsup:
i usually close the computer for night and restart it at least once a day also in the summer time when it runs all the time.
ame

Post by ame »

Sonchik wrote: January 1st, 2019, 9:03 am As far as I can judge, the season of 2018 was unusual to nests with cameras.
1. The young couple of the first year of nesting which beat off a ready nest.
2. Vilnis dropped out of a nest and they with Robis lived on a meadow.
3. Vilnis from subordinated became the main thing.
4. Despite hunger both baby birds survived.
5. The nest absolutely collapsed, but gradually.
6. Eagles early began to build a new nest and constructed it long before the beginning of a new season.

Let's look what will be a new season. :shake:
i think you are right about 1, 4, 5 and 6. :D
number 6 is not so exceptional after all. eagles start rebuilding already in the autunm. that is their habit.

about 3: people tend to take on detail above everything else. Vilnis was the underdog this year and he became the most important thing. in 2015 Durbe didn't return to the nest after ringing (made only a brief stop a few times but didn't stay). that became the main concern of many people. they didn't see that at at phase parents don't stay all the time on the nest with the eaglets any more. this year no-one thought about that.
i think it is only (humanly) natural to focus on one detail. what the detail is will be chosen rather randomly.

about 2 i think you are mistaken but that is because you have been following these nests for a short time (or since when have you watched eagles?).
in 2010 at the Estonian nest one of the eaglets, Timmu made once so excited wing exercises on a branch that he failed to land on the branch. he fell down. Renno (the local eagle man in Saunja) went to look for Timmu in the same evening and found Timmu sitting in a nearby tree. he was undamaged so Renno left him there. Timmu climbed and crawled back to the nest during the following days.
in 2016 at the Estonian nest two out of three eaglets dropped out of the nest which was disintegrating under them. (or did they all drop out?) all started living as branchlings in the nearby tree. parents fed them around the forest. (branchling = an eaglet living and climbing in trees and jumping or flying short distances from branch to branch).
last year on the second Latvian nest one of the eaglets, Knips dropped out of the nest. he was a bit too young to fledge and had suffered from hunger so long that Janis Kuze went to take him to a bird sanctuary. Janis told us that Knips was only feathers, bones and skin (or something in that way). it was necessary to take him out of there.
also last year at the Estonian nest Sulvi dropped out of the nest which was disintegrating under her. she was old enough to survive without human intervention.

these are the examples that i can remember. out of 14 eaglets that i know (Sulli & Kluti, Teele & Timmu, Makonite & Pukitis, Durbertina, Nord & Rahu & Taibu, Knips and his sister, Robis & Vilnis)
4 or 5 had dropped out of the nest. (about Illimar we don't know; the camera broke too early but we know that he survived.)
that means that about one third of the eaglets have dropped out of the nest (29 % - 36 %). without human interference one of them would have died (but perhaps the parents had been able to feed him in better fishing circumstances).

based on this statistics it is not very rare that eaglets drop out of the nest. last summer i asked a few eagle men how often they have found remains of dead eaglets under the nest when they have went to ring eaglets. they knew a few cases so it is not very rare. they also told me that on the ground an eaglet without ability to fly is a relatively easy catch for ground based predators like foxes. i didn't want to write about this in the forum because people were so anxious about the eaglets even without that information in that bad food situation.
AlteEule

Post by AlteEule »

Hello everybody!
Thank You so much for all the comments, pictures, videos, explanations ... in 2018 :2thumbsup:

I wish You a very happy New Year 2019!
May Milda & Raimis have a good new breeding-time :bounce: :bounce:

Bye :wave:
AlteEule
There is always a hidden smile ...
ame

Post by ame »

Sonchik :hi:
your video here is unavailable:
https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 12#p627112
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Ame,

You made me very happy yesterday ! He is such a beauty! :thumbs:

Tomorrow, 2nd Jan, The Baby will celebrate 8 months :loveshower:

Later, when tail will be completely white, it won't be possible to recognize him; for the moment the zigzaz pattern is still visible.

Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

ame wrote: January 1st, 2019, 10:47 am about 2 i think you are mistaken but that is because you have been following these nests for a short time (or since when have you watched eagles?).
Yes, you are right. :nod:
Thank you that added the list, known to me, the eaglets who dropped out of a nest. :thumbs:
Of course, baby birds drop out of nests and it is not a rarity. In that season coincided that Robis departed for Vilnis at once. Both of them lived on a meadow. I think that it not often happens.
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

ame wrote: January 1st, 2019, 12:46 pm Sonchik :hi:
your video here is unavailable:
https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 12#p627112
I wrote the small text why it is inaccessible some time, in this message.
YouTube still did not cut off it. :banghead:

Now I cannot edit messages in an old subject. It was necessary to upload inaccessible video in advance.
I still have video with the deer who are scurrying about to and fro on December 18. I learned to look for very quickly them in record. :laugh: Now there is no sense to write about it?
ame

Post by ame »

Sonchik, would you post here when the video is ready? then i could unlock last year's topic for a while so you can edit your post. or you can tell me what you wish to change and i'll edit your post there. - i prefer the first alternative.
btw: your text was sooo small that it was very hard for me to read it. likewise it was very difficult for me to see Raimis flying from the top of the tree to the meadow! :slap:
you have very good eyes to see such small things! :thumbs:

i have now updated the "Identification of the eagles"- chapter on the first page.i added pictures taken recently for comparison with the pictures taken a year ago.
i also divided the chapter in two posts because the chapter became soooooo looooong with new pictures.
https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 59#p627159

Abigyl :hi:
i can't see or say that the eaglet was Vilnis but i can't say the opposite either. :laugh:

edit: i had quite forgotten that i recorded the New Year's change last night. there were some fireworks in the sky! :headroll:
https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 75#p627175
i added the video on previous page in my first post where it suites best.
EveningSun

Post by EveningSun »

Happy New Year to everyone! :wave: Thank you for all your work and observations!
ame wrote: January 1st, 2019, 10:47 am also last year at the Estonian nest Sulvi dropped out of the nest which was disintegrating under her. she was old enough to survive without human intervention.
Can I have a minor correction here? Sulvi didn't dropped out of the disintegrated nest, she flew away like Robis when she was ready :chick:
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Ame,

Last night, I updated my last msg, here is the update again:

22:00 Update - confirmation: :thumbs:

I "bribed" a nice young boy with a Pizza :mrgreen: He worked on it on the Iphone and got a good picture of the Zigzag Tail. It was Baby's tail
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

ame wrote: January 1st, 2019, 2:36 pm Sonchik, would you post here when the video is ready?
You about this video? It is already available.
there were some fireworks in the sky! :headroll:
:2thumbsup: At 00:01 at once in three places, almost symmetrically.
you have very good eyes to see such small things! :thumbs:
In my sight there is no sense. So far I with translators will describe everything that I saw from the first, you already three times reconsider, will see everything and write. :rotf:
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

EveningSun wrote: January 1st, 2019, 5:44 pm Can I have a minor correction here? Sulvi didn't dropped out of the disintegrated nest, she flew away like Robis when she was ready :chick:
It so! :thumbs: Thanks for a reminder!
ame

Post by ame »

EveningSun wrote: January 1st, 2019, 5:44 pm Happy New Year to everyone! :wave: Thank you for all your work and observations!

Can I have a minor correction here? Sulvi didn't dropped out of the disintegrated nest, she flew away like Robis when she was ready :chick:
thank you for the correction, EveningSun! :thumbs:
i must have misunderstood. i remember reading so many worried notes about her falling down. those must have been worries that she might fall, not that she fell.

Abigyl, can you post that picture? it would be lovely to see the baby's tail. :rolleyes:
all the pictures that i got were so bad...
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

January 2

Good Morning :hi:

I wish you happy new year :loveshower:
We'll a toast to the future of the Latvian nest in this new year. may 2019 bring us all much joy and happiness ...along with chicks.

It is still dark! And very windy again.

I have slept very, very little the last nights. The fireworks were too much and it took many hours every day and every night.
ame

Post by ame »

good morning!
there enough light to see that the nest is covered with snow.
and there are some strong gusts of wind! :slap:
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Good Morning !

Happy new year Liz !

Ame, Here you can see it, on the phone it looks nicer. But you can see that the white feathers are cut diagonally.

In black and white

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

8:24 The nest looks nice :innocent:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Abigyl wrote: January 2nd, 2019, 7:59 am ......
Ame, Here you can see it, on the phone it looks nicer. But you can see that the white feathers are cut diagonally.

https://i.imagesup.co/images2/0__05c2c526408a37.jpg

In black and white

https://i.imagesup.co/images2/0__05c2c571671d21.jpg

This is an anniversary. Your first pictures in the forum :bow: :laugh:
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Liz, "White Christmas" on New Year... and 8 months of the baby... :loveshower:

About pics: When I checked around 2014 it was very different from other forums I used at that time. Now it's easier, but I don't have too much time to play with it, and I don't want to steal your excellent job :rotf:

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”