Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis Durbe 2019

White-tailed eagles in Latvia

Moderator: Moderators

ame

Re: Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis Durbe 2019

Post by ame »

5:17 - 5:38 they continued. i may have missed several Rika's calls because she is not as loud as Miks and she was farther.

5:39 - 5:46 they continued...
ame

Post by ame »

5:46 Miks flew to the nest and left.
viewtopic.php?p=678072#p678072

i think he flew farther from the nest because after this the voices changed places: it sounded like Rika closer to the nest than Miks.
6:00 - 6:37

6:48 - 6:51 the eaglets continued.
6:49 also Milda (?) called, not very near.
ame

Post by ame »

6:53 - 7:31 both eaglets called many times. Rika was closer than Miks. this time i have probably missed many Miks' calls.
ame

Post by ame »

after this, 7:36 an eaglet flew to the spruce on the right.
viewtopic.php?p=678075#p678075
when it flew away it called and sounded like Rika.

8:05 - 8:37 eaglets called many times.
ame

Post by ame »

Ajeta wrote: July 19th, 2019, 12:29 pm Ame, you are very sweet, thank you for trying, and I am sorry for the confusion I may have caused :banghead:
My interest in this problem was less emotional and more rational, i.e. I was seeking information, specific indications or reasons why feeding outside the nest would and indeed must go on. One such reason was given by Sonchik last night when he explained that eating on branches is part of the education of eagles, and they learn it just like sitting on branches, like sleeping on them, landing on them and so on. In order to learn it they need practice, so feeding outside the nest must be part of their apprenticeship.
When you kept saying that you believed or you were convinced then that was an emotional reassurance (i.e. don't worry, Ajeta, they are well taken care of), but on a factual level so to speak it left me without the information I was looking for, i.e. how do you know, what observations cause this conviction.
no problem, Ajeta! 8-)

i have no direct evidence of this, only circumstantial. i mean that when eaglets fledge they have not been observed eating themselves on a branch. after some time they have this skill. for example last year we saw eaglets eating here when there was no nest any more. at some point they learn it. :laugh:
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

ame wrote: July 19th, 2019, 11:54 am 11:53 an eaglet landed on the nest tree below the nest, on the right side.

the eaglet was rustling downstairs...
From wings and tail visible at the landing I would think it could be Mika. Whoever it was, however, did quite a big round: At 11:52:56 the eaglet can be seen coming out of the forrest behind the spruce somewhere on the upper/middle right hand side of the screen. It then went all around the screen - nice show, thank you, eaglet! - and ended up below the nest.
What I would love to know: Did it plan to go to the nest from the start? Or does it decide en route? Why land below rather than on the nest? Has that got to do with air/flight conditions or again is that a planned action? Was it perhaps a searching flight, see if the other eaglet is secretly eating somewhere? Or just sheer joy in flying? So much I would like to ask them ... :laugh:
Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

Incidentally, Ame, did you see the fish delivery by Milda(?) earlier (or did I imagine it? I have not seen it mentioned here so far?) - it was a tiny fish, which she seemed to want to take away again, even as Mika arrived but he took it and swallowed it in one. I wondered whether the size of fish decreases in tune with the size of the nest. :laugh: I'll try to find the exact time.

EDIT: It was at 10:14 (+/-)
ame

Post by ame »

no i didn't see it and i found the incident at the same time as you wrote about. :rotf:

10:14 Milda brought a small fish! while i was having my coffee! :rotf:

Miks flew in and got it.

he gobbled the fish down tail first. :laugh:
ame

Post by ame »

then Miks attacked at Milda who flew away.
"oops, that look. it's time to get away!" :mrgreen:

:slap:

ame

Post by ame »

Miks cleaned the nest and called every now and then.

10:19 he flew away. - i think he had rather big crop, bigger than that small fish would make.

Ajeta

Post by Ajeta »

ame wrote: July 19th, 2019, 11:54 am
11:58 it flew away. Miks? Rika? :puzzled:
11:58:40 (+/-) to about 11:59:02 or so (then I at least lost it) an eagle(t) can be seen again flying above/through the forrest in the top right corner of the screen, then turning left along the forrest seen on the upper part of the screen (behind/across the meadow) and then (invisibly for a moment behind the right branch which trapped Dubertina) in a curve taking to the skies and out of the upper rim of the screen. Could it be the eaglet that just left the nest tree at 11:58:26?
ame

Post by ame »

Ajeta wrote: July 19th, 2019, 2:54 pm 11:58:40 (+/-) to about 11:59:02 or so (then I at least lost it) an eagle(t) can be seen again flying above/through the forrest in the top right corner of the screen, then turning left along the forrest seen on the upper part of the screen (behind/across the meadow) and then (invisibly for a moment behind the right branch which trapped Dubertina) in a curve taking to the skies and out of the upper rim of the screen. Could it be the eaglet that just left the nest tree at 11:58:26?
i made a picture of the eaglets leaving. did i forget to post it?...
... yes, the picture is there:
viewtopic.php?p=678131#p678131
the leaving eaglet is behind the kingfisher logo.
... but i think you are right! i saw now that a few seconds later the eaglet flew from the right and flew over the meadow. then it reappeared in the sky approximately in the centre where it can be seen against the sky (together with the flies :mrgreen: )
thank you for the observation! :thumbs:

i have been here for a while and i think that i may have heard the eaglet(s) cry somewhere far-far away... but i'm not sure. maybe my ears are buzzing. there's some constant machine sound in the background.
15:35:50 yes, someone is calling pieep-pieep...

15:37 the voices are coming closer... :D

15:38:53 Milda's voice
ame

Post by ame »

15:51:40 an eaglet called and then Milda (?)
ame

Post by ame »

it was quiet for a long while.
16:07 eaglet's voice.
16:08 again. far.

16:09 both voices.
ame

Post by ame »

16:13 a nuthatch visited.

16:16 an eagle's voice. eaglet or Milda?
ame

Post by ame »

16:30 louder calls... approaching.
an eaglet landed in the nest tree under the nest 16:31:00.
one second later Milda was coming far in the sky. so the eaglet rushed to the nest ahead of the fish. :laugh:

Milda with a fish. the eaglet left the tree and flew around...
ame

Post by ame »

Miks landed on the nest. cones were flying in the air, at least two of them. i don't know where they came from.

ame

Post by ame »

Milda out.
"it's that look again. i'm out of here."

Miks is lying tight on the fish. he is listening.... no-one else calls but a golden oriole. :whistling:
ame

Post by ame »

Miks started eating after warming the fish under his belly for a few minutes... :whistling:
ame

Post by ame »

16:56 nearly Rika flew by. she's crying....

Miks stopped eating. he is looking at Rika... he is frozen like a salt statue. he is ready to leave if Rika should take wings...

Miks has a big crop already after a few bites. he has eaten already earlier today. :2thumbsup:

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”