Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis Durbe 2019

White-tailed eagles in Latvia

Moderator: Moderators

ame

Re: Latvian WtE nest webcamera Juras-erglis Durbe 2019

Post by ame »

Abigyl wrote: October 16th, 2019, 9:20 pm Ame, I share your questions and I have a problem with changing the reality in a photo or video. We are here in a forum which its primary purpose is to record a true situation, to present the exact data to researchers. By monitoring the nest residents and their descendants during many seasons, we can help in many aspects.

A few weeks ago, a picture of the Eagles family was presented here, while they were posed in a nice way but not as it happened in reality.
I wanted to write at that time but thought it's an isolated event.

We do joke here sometimes and it's OK, but in my opinion what we are doing should not come at the expense of accurate documentation of events.

It's my personal opinion, based on my experience in the net during the last 20 years. We never know when we'll need to check some old facts, or when new users will try to learn from previous seasons and don't have our memories.
i agree with you totally Abigyl! i think i remember the case which you are referring to.
the pictures and videos here should express what was actually recorded here. if the pictures or videos are manipulated in some way that suggests something else than what happened in reality it should be clearly stated. funny manipulated pictures are ok if it is clearly stated that they are not real events.

this includes of course the time stamps of the pictures/videos.
a few years ago there was some discussion about this when some people thought that the time stamp of the camera picture did not show the correct time of the events. the time stamp time is the correct time.
if someone is still in doubt please read the instructions give by Jānis Ķuze. here's a part of his comments, taken from DDF, GT'ed:
"... The second thing I want to comment on is copyright. Camera material is freely available as long as no one is using it for commercial gain. The rule on our part is to keep the reference to the Latvian Fund for Nature, which manifests itself as the logo of the fund and also the preservation of the time zone. In the Ame Looduskalender forum, this is done by placing a timeline copy on the bottom of the framed images. Without a time zone, images have little value because they cannot be recognized chronologically. Timeline transfer in framed images is possible with primitive graphical programs that do not have problems."
(see link:
https://forums.dabasdati.lv/viewtopic.p ... 89#p165610)

playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... xkUM0ob7bC
good night! :wave: :offtobed:
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Ame thanks for your answer.
I allow you to sleep now :thumbs:
Good Night !
:offtobed:
Ari19

Post by Ari19 »

ame wrote: October 16th, 2019, 10:04 pm i agree with you totally Abigyl! i think i remember the case which you are referring to.
the pictures and videos here should express what was actually recorded here. if the pictures or videos are manipulated in some way that suggests something else than what happened in reality it should be clearly stated. funny manipulated pictures are ok if it is clearly stated that they are not real events.
I agree with your idea Ame and I can also see Abigyl's point too.

Nordri's creations are wonderful, funny, and I adore seeing them every time. Sometimes, his photoshop skills are so good that one can easily mistake it for reality.

The easiest solution is to have a disclaimer: "this image or video has been digitally manipulated."
Then there is no confusion and we can enjoy a good laugh.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

October 17

Good Morning everyone!

Abigyl, ame, I agree :nod:
Yesterday I also had problems recognizing what the picture means. I did not have time to check something because there were continual events to document.
But above all, I did not take the picture of Sonchik seriously. I thought it was a fake, too.

One of the main reasons why I appreciate the WTE Thread is, that there is real documentation here. That's what the Looduskalendar expects.
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Liz01 wrote: October 17th, 2019, 5:56 am October 17

One of the main reasons why I appreciate the WTE Thread is, that there is real documentation here. That's what the Looduskalendar expects.
Good Morning!

It's after 7am... Why is it soooo dark? :slap:

Liz, All of us have to understand that those Cams, at least LK cams, are not open to the public as a story or a show. I see us as a "third hand" of the professionals in their great work: Understanding better birds and nature.

Sounds windy...
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

7:44:50 a pygmy owl is whistling
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Abigyl wrote: October 17th, 2019, 7:25 am ... I see us as a "third hand" of the professionals in their great work: Understanding better birds and nature...
Abigyl, I totally agree.
ame

Post by ame »

good morning!

it so windy, has been all night. the sky is covered with clouds and besides that it looks a bit foggy and moist...
crows are awake.
Ari19

Post by Ari19 »

Abigyl wrote: October 17th, 2019, 7:25 am I see us as a "third hand" of the professionals in their great work: Understanding better birds and nature.
I agree with this interpretation Abigyl. That is why we have the LK forum with its rules and regulations.
Abigyl wrote: October 17th, 2019, 7:25 am All of us have to understand that those Cams, at least LK cams, are not open to the public as a story or a show.
Have to disagree politely with this statement. The LK Cam is open to the public via YT.
The publicity is a part of educating people about nature and the life of birds. I have heard that schools are using these cams to teach children biology. The fact that they are public is very good.

What we can control is the rules on the forum. I personally enjoy humorous, witty takes on the life of our Milda and Raimis. If it confuses some members, then let us implement a disclaimer.
It is easy. If the image is photoshopped is must be marked "this image has been digitally manipulated."

I personally am a big fan of what Nordri does. He brings laughter and joy and also creates invaluable videos. Nowhere else can one find a complete timelapse of the eagle nest being built...

Nordri

Post by Nordri »

Good afternoon! :wave:
confusion arose due to the fact that in the message " in 2018 they did not believe me :rolleyes:..." forgot to indicate that the frame is from a fantasy clip. I apologize. I will correct in the following publications :bow:
we will continue to monitor the construction of the nest :D
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Ari19 wrote: October 17th, 2019, 8:35 am .....
What we can control is the rules on the forum. I personally enjoy humorous, witty takes on the life of our Milda and Raimis. If it confuses some members, then let us implement a disclaimer.
It is easy. If the image is photoshopped is must be marked "this image has been digitally manipulated."...
Not long ago it was like that, that ornithologists considered the LK, especially the ame-led WTE thread, to be the best one could find on the net. I'm proud to be a part of it.
It's okay to have fun now and then.
When I came to the LK, there was very good documentation in all threads.
Now,some threads are not good to read. There is hardly any information.
ame

Post by ame »

Liz01 wrote: October 17th, 2019, 10:35 am Not long ago it was like that, that ornithologists considered the LK, especially the ame-led WTE thread, to be the best one could find on the net. I'm proud to be a part of it.
When I came to the LK, there was very good documentation in all threads.
Now,some threads are not good to read. There is hardly any information.
is it not like that any more?? :shock: :mrgreen: :D
anyway i'm flattered... :blush:

10:57 a nuthatch visited. he was the first visitor in a day.

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Ame, in this thread it's still like that :D
Ari19

Post by Ari19 »

Nordri wrote: October 17th, 2019, 9:42 am Good afternoon! :wave:
confusion arose due to the fact that in the message " in 2018 they did not believe me " forgot to indicate that the frame is from a fantasy clip. I apologize. I will correct in the following publications
we will continue to monitor the construction of the nest
:wave: Nordri!
Liz01 wrote: October 17th, 2019, 10:35 am Not long ago it was like that, that ornithologists considered the LK, especially the ame-led WTE thread, to be the best one could find on the net. I'm proud to be a part of it.
The ame-led thread is truly a golden standard. I think the other threads just cannot compare. It takes enormous energy to maintain such high quality documentation and I am astounded by it. :2thumbsup:

Agreed, Liz. We sometimes have very dark moments here on the forum. Occasional humor helps me to stay sane.
ame wrote: October 17th, 2019, 10:56 am is it not like that any more??
anyway i'm flattered... :blush:
Ame, it is a golden standard. :thumbs: You should be flattered.
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

11:23 It's getting worse :slap: It becomes foggy...

Who will come?? perhaps... the Squirrel :mrgreen:
ame

Post by ame »

12:14 - 16 a flock of migrating thrushes visited. (no more squirrels. yet. :mrgreen: )
mega2 has made some pictures of them.
https://forums.dabasdati.lv/viewtopic.p ... d6#p233300

one of them seems to have a white stripe above the eye, so that looks like a redwing. the one on the left branch looks very dark, but that may be an illusion created by the light background. their voices (zrzzz... zrzzz...) sounded like redwing's calls:
https://www.xeno-canto.org/explore?query=redwing

flight calls of song thrushes sound like short ticks:
https://www.xeno-canto.org/explore?query=song%20thrush
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

15:28 ravens
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

16:41 a big bird flew from the tree top. I think it was a juvenile eagle :puzzled: The pics are not good :slap:

16:58:06 eaglet? is calling :puzzled:

I tried to find his arrival. Without success.
ame

Post by ame »

15:28 the Nest Inspectors. :whistling:
there were at least two more who flew by. these two landed at the nest.

15:41 some geese flew by (out of sight). are these greylag geese (Anser anser)?
ame

Post by ame »

Liz01 wrote: October 17th, 2019, 4:56 pm 16:41 a big bird flew from the tree top. I think it was a juvenile eagle :puzzled: The pics are not good :slap:
[img]https://up.picr.de/37013921rk.jpg[ /img]

[img]https://up.picr.de/37013922ps.jpg[ /img]

16:58:06 eaglet? is calling :puzzled:

I tried to find his arrival. Without success.
i could not find the arrival either. :slap:
this is the departure.

it may be an eaglet but it may be another big bird, too. i think there were buzzard's voices.

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”