Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012 ESTLAT

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

macdoum

Re: Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012 ESTLAT

Post by macdoum »

ame,thank you for all the reports,especially the explanations about their long conversations. :rotf: It would be nice to understand their lingo. :whistling:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
ame

Post by ame »

May 19th
good morning! :hi:

something scary happened this morning at 6.28: a marten tried to come and steel the egg! :shock:
or is it an ermine? :puzzled: looks quite big so i think it's a marten.

Pruuni had just preened herself a little and then tucked her head under the wing to go on sleeping when the tree behind the nest tree began to shake... and Pruuni woke up to defend her dearest possession.

thank you macdoum! :wave:
i think it is still Pruuni in the nest.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Wow she is fierce, the snapping of her wings is sounds quite threatening!
ame

Post by ame »

just when i was beginning to really suspect that they had cheated me again and changed in secrecy i heard Pruuni calling: Halli had come to release her. he had brought a big vole to Pruuni.
- or is this a mole? it seems to have big white paws... :puzzled:

Pruuni took it and, as usual, flew in to the forest to eat it there. Halli settled down and listened how Pruuni was calling out there. once he brrr'ed in reply but it must have been too quiet for Pruuni to hear. :D

i'll soon have to close the cam for the rest of today...
vainamoinen

Post by vainamoinen »

ame wrote:May 19th
good morning! :hi:

something scary happened this morning at 6.28: a marten tried to come and steel the egg! :shock:
or is it an ermine? :puzzled: looks quite big so i think it's a marten.

Pruuni had just preened herself a little and then tucked her head under the wing to go on sleeping when the tree behind the nest tree began to shake... and Pruuni woke up to defend her dearest possession.

thank you macdoum! :wave:
i think it is still Pruuni in the nest.
It was a pine marten. Serious danger of many birds' eggs and chicks. Pruun is a great hero. :headroll:
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

:loveshower: great movie Ame
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

OMG a pine marten...Pruuni did a great job of defending the egg :bow: she is a hero :loveshower: Great video Ame :wave:
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

20:28 Pruuni is deep in the nest.Her head is Buried in front of her. All seems well now. Hope that intruder stays far away. :slap:
20:32 She raised up now to turn the egg and change position.
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
ame

Post by ame »

from Pontu pictures i found out that Pruuni had come at 13.53 and released Halli from nest duty.
http://pontu.eenet.ee/saunja/2012-05-19 ... -13-53.jpg

then i din't find any more changes in the Pontu pictures... but i didn't look through all of them... if i later find something i'll report it later. now i'm :offtobed:
ps: today's playlist http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6D8982CB067586C0
:wave:
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

i am surprised a pine marten climbed so high.. :shock:
See the nest-tree in a photo here;
http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/2909 .... scroll down
See a tiny Urmas way up high.. :shock:
Emily Dickinson
ame

Post by ame »

May 20th
good morning. :hi:

i think it's still Pruuni who is in the nest. in the early morning the sun was shining bright but now it has turned cloudier. a cuckoo is calling...
someone big waded under the nest tree with heavy splashing footsteps at 5.16. the rhythm of the footsteps was similar to that of a horse so i guess it was an elk. nothing could be seen though...

Pruuni first listened to it attentativily but the decided it was no threat and continued sleeping... :sleeping:

macdoum :wave: : i'm more surprised that any human would climb that high... once we had climbed down... :mrgreen:
ame

Post by ame »

at 11.35 two jays came to pick up quarrel with Pruuni, who is still incubating. there's been no other sign of Halli except i've heard his voice from the forest a few times during the morning.

the jays made a lot of noise but rejecting them was just a piece of cake for Pruuni. :D
ame

Post by ame »

darn they made a change while i was uploading the previous video and the camera crashed. :slap:
there was Halli in the nest when i got restarted. but then a strange buzzard landed on the backbranch. :shock:

maybe that was another buzzard who is not nesting this season? :puzzled:
ame

Post by ame »

Halli stood up, called to scare the stranger and/or to summons to Pruuni's assistance.

Pruuni was calling in the forest (i guess she got breakfast when Halli had come).
then Halli climbed to the backbranch and seconds later the stranger left. Halli followed almost immediately.

the egg was alone for a while and then Pruuni returned and settled down.
ame

Post by ame »

ame

Post by ame »

at 12.07 Halli returned to the nest and Pruuni began to call loudly to him. i don't think he brought anything, at least not food. he stood there on the back of the nest and listened what Pruuni was saying ("food! food! food!" ? :mrgreen: )
he left almost right away and Pruuni went silent.
ame

Post by ame »

Pruuni began to call again after Halli and hew returned almost immediately. this time he brought a dry twig.

then they talked: Pruuni call loudly kaa! - kaa! - kaa!.. and Halli replied with a low voice brrr ... brrr.... then Halli took off and Pruuni went quiet, too.

at 12.13 there's Halli's voice from the forest... and Pruuni calls to him every now and then...
ame

Post by ame »

Halli brought a vole Pruuni at 12.58.

Pruuni took it out into the forest.

she's calling there (and jays are shrieking there as well.) Halli lay down on the egg.

ame

Post by ame »

Halli stayed in the nest in the afternoon sun. he made some homework and preened himself on the rim of the nest a few times.

at 16.00 Pruuni landed on the backbranch and came to the rim of the nest.

Halli stood up and they talked a little.

then Halli flew up on a branch somewhere next to or above the camera. Pruuni kept on calling... there had been voices of a jay nearby every now and then....
ame

Post by ame »

after a while Halli returned and brought a fresh twig with big green leaves to Pruuni. it was like a bunch of flowers. :loveshower:

he brrr'ed a few times and took off.

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”