DISCUSSION ESTLAT Osprey Nest 1 Madis & Piret ~ 2012

Antoinette

Re: ESTLAT Osprey Nest Webcam Discussion 2012

Post by Antoinette »

I am glad my concerns were proven unnecessary, and that the family structure was not disturbed too much.
Obviously I have a lot to learn about osprey behaviour :rolleyes:
Thanks to everyone for posting super pictures and clips!
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once..
Starling

Post by Starling »

maertha wrote:Here she is.

13:47 Piret returns to the nest

[youtube]ftJmYJ4yV2s&feature[/youtube]
Thank you. :bow:
I´m very pleased to see Piret. And I hope we´ll see her still many times in the future. :nod:
I`m sure when we all see Piret doing well with the transmitter, it can help change opinions about the transmitters, even a bit! :thumbs:
Skogsgurra

Post by Skogsgurra »

Thanks to all enthusiasts that report from this nest. We are a little group that learned about this camera and the nest early this spring. We have been happy and we have been worried. We do not know much about ospreys and some of us almost cried when the newest born didn't get any food. We call her Estrid, The first born is Estella (our newly born princess) and the second has been named Esteban.

Now, we are concerned with Estrid and her leg. It seems that there is something wrong with it. Can anyone give us a comforting answer?
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

Skogsgurra wrote:Thanks to all enthusiasts that report from this nest. We are a little group that learned about this camera and the nest early this spring. We have been happy and we have been worried. We do not know much about ospreys and some of us almost cried when the newest born didn't get any food. We call her Estrid, The first born is Estella (our newly born princess) and the second has been named Esteban.

Now, we are concerned with Estrid and her leg. It seems that there is something wrong with it. Can anyone give us a comforting answer?
Hello Skogsgurra,

There's nothing wrong with the legs of any of the ospreys. Sometimes they just like to stand on one leg, like many other birds do too.

The chicks have names already. The oldest with ring number S8 is called Uno. The one in the middle with ring number S9 is called Elo, and the youngest with ring number S7 is called Nori.
Galina

Post by Galina »

Hello there!

Thank you all for the great vids and photos. Oooh the babies are able to fly now :loveshower: ok I didn't see Nori yet, but the other 2 are doing very well (at least, I have seen Nori alone in the nest once). I have the feeling, that Nori may be female, because it looks bigger than the other 2 ones, although it is the youngest.
Oh I am so happy that they all grew so well and also, that Piret returned.

Greetings!
maertha

Post by maertha »

:wave:
Skogsgurra wrote:Thanks to all enthusiasts that report from this nest. We are a little group that learned about this camera and the nest early this spring. We have been happy and we have been worried. We do not know much about ospreys and some of us almost cried when the newest born didn't get any food. We call her Estrid, The first born is Estella (our newly born princess) and the second has been named Esteban.

Hello Skogsgurra & friends, welcome to the forum! :gathering:
I think everything is fine with the chicks, no reason to be concerned, as far as I know. We use the names Uno, Elo and Nori in this forum for them, but there are many groups who love and watch them, and they all have their own names for the eaglets. So it´s interesting to hear yours! Have a good time here.

I´m off now, bye :wave:
Maxie4Paws

Post by Maxie4Paws »

maerthathank u a wrote: Hi Maxie, yes, Uno/S8 fledged. Check the playlist below if you want, the last 4 or 5 videos show the first training flights.
thank u as that is what i thought happend.
Carma

Post by Carma »

Starling wrote:Fish from Madis. Nori takes the first turn.
Nori was all over the fish, jumping on it and guarding it, wings held high.
Quite assertive :thumbs:
birdbrain

Post by birdbrain »

So this is where all the forum action is!; I was wondering why it was so quiet on the site where we view this fantastic Osprey clan. We've been glued to the nest since around mid-May and it's been an awesome ride.
Was definitely a little freaked last night when Piret had yet to return after her banding/transmitting (I'm sure it's with good intentions and a professional touch, but *argh* I really hate seeing man meddle like this in the name of research) and I could barely get to sleep, worried that Elo would take off and leave poor little Nori alone.
Anyway, glad to see that both Mom and Uno are back...
Yay.
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

will(y) wrote::rotf:

Uno:"Dammed, where's the fish? Fiiiiiish!!! Hey, anyone seen MY fish?"
Nori: "mmNo... mmmmdon'tmm mmmknow mmmpf - perhaps it has been jumping down?"

Uno is not as clever as Nori - she is a very gifted thief...
Hehehe. :mrgreen:

Being the youngest, Nori has learned to be clever, and fast above all. He's indeed a very talented thief. Not strange if you consider that Nori had, and still has, to compete with two older and bigger siblings of which one in particular (Elo) is likely to peck when hungry.
Maxie4Paws

Post by Maxie4Paws »

they are just soooo very pretty. and the way that they love to not suare the fish.. they are just sooo pretty.. thank u all for the pretty pic. of then. :shake:
lispet

Post by lispet »

Great to have so many new members at the forum. Please add your location (in the User Control Panel / Profile). It is interesting to know where all the friends of Piret, Madis and the kids come from!
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

All three youngsters settling down for the night. It's been a long wonderful day.

Just a reminder, June 17, 2012:

tikanpoika

Post by tikanpoika »

Hi!
Today was very exciting and also joyful for me first of all to see Nori`s wing exercises and secondly when I realised that Uno really flew. I think these are the most interesting days when the birds are getting ready to leave the enst. It is marvellous to see them jump and try. You allmost here them say: I´m sooooo ready!! :headroll:
Little Nori, my favourite!!
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Wisteria wrote:All three youngsters settling down for the night. It's been a long wonderful day.

Just a reminder, June 17, 2012
Thanks for taking us back in time, Wisteria. This has been a successful nest.
tikanpoika

Post by tikanpoika »

Hello starling!
terveisiä helsinkiin!! :D
will(y)

Post by will(y) »

i've seen today a tracking map where the routes and the locations of birds with transmitter could be seen.
with an accuracy of 200 ft. (depends on google maps).
couldn't this be a danger, because the nests may be localized by hunters?
edit: ok, i meant the migration map... :slap:
snApe1118

Post by snApe1118 »

Uno can not sleep. His day was just too exciting :nod:
Nori S7, Uno S8, Elo S9
Piret S0 and the father Madis

For this fantastic family: https://vimeo.com/47880398

My Vimeo Channel
click: Stephis Video

As long as humans thinks, that animals can not feel, animals must feel, that humans can not think.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

will(y) the nest locations are not shown on that map! It just shows when the birds arrive back in Estonia. The nest locations are a carefully guarded secret.
Starling

Post by Starling »

tikanpoika wrote:Hello starling!
terveisiä helsinkiin!! :D
Kiitos! :mrgreen: Greetings to Hollola too! :wave:

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”