Adding images

How this Forum Works - Questions and Answers

Moderator: ame

ame

Re: Adding images

Post by ame »

a few days ago i got e-mail from the Bucket about updates they have made or are going to make. about their improvements they wrote:
"Scrambling File Names
As you may know, we enable file names to be scrambled to help protect user privacy. By scrambling the file names for user photos and videos, others cannot easily guess the URL location of users' content. We are working out an improved way to provide this service to our customers and we will provide you wiht more information soon - stay tuned!
"

i've underlined the part which i think is causing the trouble we have been experiencing: they are scrambling the files in random order on purpose! :dunno: :faint: :rant:

i think i'll write them a mail and ask them to make it possible for the user to choose whether the files should be scrambled or not. this is a terrible nuisance at least for me: i want to keep my pictures in order, first the last one in on top of the album and maybe later i swich them in alphabetical (which is time order for me).

EDIT: ok, now i've written them a comment. let's see how long it'll take for them to give some reply and whether it will much more useful that the replies that Felis has received...
- in the meanwhile i've learnt that in the account settings the Bucket-user can choose whether the pictures are scrambled or not while being uploaded. it seems to have become the standing practise because i haven't selected that option and still my pictures have been uploaded in random order recently. i don't like it: it's awful lot of work finding the right pictures from the mess. :rant:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

This thing with scrambling the name I have found out the hard way, I think when the new nest season started in spring it suddenly was "on" and I had heck of a time to get the correct VLC data back as name, after I had heck of a time what the hell has happened to my file names. :banghead:
Just for the records:
If you click under your Name icon (old version, they just got me the new one but I switched back to the old one for obvious reasons) - Account settings - Album settings - and there click the link next to upload options called "View upload options" - a pop-up window will appear - and there at the bottom you can set in Privacy options "Scramble my filenames ..." or take away the hook.

All I would need is the possibility to sort the files in reverse alphabetical order, but this is not possible! And I have not (yet) received an answer to my last mail to them. But the order is not really what you get uploading ... I would prefer to have the newest first, but not the newest uploaded, the newest picture, which is not necessarily the same! :dunno:

Mejuba on the other hand has become a bit faster, but has at least once a week a black-out of their uploader software! :bash: I'm sitting on half uploaded files again where I first have to look and find where I have to restart the whole thing!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
ame

Post by ame »

Felis silvestris wrote:....All I would need is the possibility to sort the files in reverse alphabetical order, but this is not possible! And I have not (yet) received an answer to my last mail to them. But the order is not really what you get uploading ... I would prefer to have the newest first, but not the newest uploaded, the newest picture, which is not necessarily the same! :dunno:
earlier the pictures got uploaded so that latest pictures uploads were on top. then it was relatively easy to find pictures for posting. i don't like the present scrambling at all. i have never allowed the scrambling and it's still not selected but they make a mess of the albums anyway. :rant:

i start a new album for each day. afterwards i organize the pictures in alphabetical order and that's how i get them in time order: earliest (morning) on top and the latest (evening) in the bottom, because my VLC timestamps the snapshots. (Felis, i think that this is the same thing you are doing, and i'm sure you know how to organize pictures in the bucket but i'll post these pictures anyway, because they may be helpful for someone else. :rolleyes: )

i agree: there should also be the option to select reverse alhabetical order, too. why not, as there's the newest/oldest option as well.

that way i managed to sort my Pontu pictures in proper order in the bucket. why do you wish to have them in reverse alphabetical order?
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

The Pontu photos I collect in the bucket I am doing as they - hopefully - go, start with the earliest in the morning up to the last in the evening. There I have the order: Nest - year - month - day. (like in Mejuba) (click "select all" in the bulk uploader)
But the pictures I make myself from nests, I would like to have in "reverse" order, I would like to have the newest/latest picture first in the album. There my order is Nest by year. In the beginning, when I started working with PB, I had no idea how big actually this will all become, so I am a bit at loss, because in the beginning I did not do it that way. But if I would change anything now, the links would break.
I uploaded yesterday, first from work and then from home, and I have not seen any kind of order in the uploads. Not even "newest first"! :banghead:
I still have to try out "new" PB, but don't really dare to. What if it makes everything even worse? :shock:
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

ame

Post by ame »

Felis silvestris wrote:... In the beginning, when I started working with PB, I had no idea how big actually this will all become, ...
I still have to try out "new" PB, but don't really dare to. What if it makes everything even worse? :shock:
you got a little carried away, just like me! :laugh:

in the bucket there's the possibility to return to the old system if you don't like the new one. i gave the new bucket a little try this morning but returned to the old one quite soon because i couldn't read the file structure easily enough. i think i'll maybe try it again some time though...
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

ame wrote: you got a little carried away, just like me! :laugh:

in the bucket there's the possibility to return to the old system if you don't like the new one. i gave the new bucket a little try this morning but returned to the old one quite soon because i couldn't read the file structure easily enough. i think i'll maybe try it again some time though...
Yes, a little bit ... :rotf:

And yes, I have returned to the "old" version in both my accounts, the reason for the Pontu account I have stated above, I do have a feeling that after making it unlimited a while ago, this is the attempt to restrict the amount of photos (and get payment for bigger accounts) through the backdoor! :vangry:

ame

Post by ame »

today i received a reply from the P-bucket customer service for the complaint i wrote about scrambling of the uploaded pictures. let's see if and when they get the problem solved (actually did they understand this time what the problem was about).
Hello there!
I am very sorry for the inconvenience that this has caused you. Our engineering team is troubleshooting the problem. It shouldn't be too long. Thank you for your patience and again, I am terribly sorry for this inconvenience!
--------
Search our Help & Community pages on our Support Site - http://support.photobucket.com/home or email us back if you have any other questions!
Max@Photobucket Support

EDIT: the Bucket is working normally again! thank you!
ame

Post by ame »

about making GIFs i made a summary and posted it on the Seal Camera thread. then i thought it might be useful to have it here, too.
i can't remember who it was who taught us to make gifs last spring/summer but it certainly was a very useful skill! (i think that Bubo and Felis were among them.)
thank you all who were involved! :thumbs:

here's the address of Picasion: http://picasion.com/get-photo/
it's really easy to use: just add pictures. i've usually used picture size 400 (or 450) because the default 300 is too tiny. then when you get more advanced you can fiddle with the speed of animation. the number of pictures is limited to 10, which is sometimes too restrictive.

the other useful is The Animated GIF-maker:
http://www.myspacegens.com/handler.php? ... matedimage
what's irritating there is that they have pop-up advertisements so you'll need patience to close those windows before you can proceed. in step number 3: to "upload pictures" first click "ADD", then browse your files and select your pictures, then click "upload". when uploading is finished click "OK" and then "SUBMIT". (before submitting you can fix the speed to you liking in step number 2.)
after some processing the gif is ready. then you'll need to download it to your computer and then upload it to some photo service (e.g. in the Bucket). from there you get the picture code which can be posted here in a mail.
so the whole gif-making process here is more complicated than with Picasion but there's the advantage that you can submit a maximum of a 100 pictures! the default picture size is also larger than the max-size of Picasion gifs, which is an advantage, too.

here are examples of a GIFs made with Animated GIF-maker (above) and Picasion (below) and the settings which were used in making them.

pictures by Alice, taken on Dec 5th at about 9 am.
size normal, speed slow (1000 ms = 1 s)

Imagesplit an animated gif pictures taken on Dec 6th at 11.33 am.

size 450, speed normal (500 ms = 0.5 s)

keyword SearchPicasion
ame

Post by ame »

aita has yet another GIF-maker. thank you aita! :thumbs: :wave:
aita wrote:Photobucket - the maximum limit is 25 MB. once my 90 images - exceeded the limit. (So, PNG images can fit in a lot less than the JPEG images.)
http://www.myspacegens.com/handler.php? ... matedimage
This website is good, you can EDIT the gif. Just I chose smaller size and it was the right size for Photobucket.

My favorite is (the fastest and most convenient) http://makeagif.com/
there 20 images at a time.
Size: Biggest Cropped - almost full screen. Size 800x450 gif - looks like 800x600 image
Margossa

Post by Margossa »

I use makeagif.com too.
I use http://makeagif.com/ because this program is very easy to use.
1 step - add pictures (from "my computer", no need before upload pictures to Photobucket or Picassa or other picture service) after push "continue" button
2 step - create a gif (you can change speed and size pictures (I use 800x450 pixels) and animated gif is ready.
Now can choose a link which can copy to post (It is below animated gif on the website).
When I have a lot of pictures I divide for parts each of 20 pictures.
:wave:
Knallfroesch

Post by Knallfroesch »

Hi!

Where is it possible to change the password?
:slap:

Help me please - I ll never remember the new one :bow:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Hello!
You mean your forum password?
Go to User Control Panel on the top tight corner of the page, from there choose "Profile" on the left side under "Options", and in "Profile" you click "Edit account settings" where you can change it! If you still have problems, just sent PM or mail to one of us, we try to help you!

Knallfroesch

Post by Knallfroesch »

Hello! :2thumbsup: :bow: :2thumbsup: :loveshower:
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

I wonder if anyone knows:
Is it possible to reduce the size of the pictures in the new Photobucket, or do I have to og back to the old version?
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

I have to admit, I have not even tried the "new" photobucket! But I just googled a bit and found this:
http://photobucket.zendesk.com/entries/21493606 - maybe you find it useful? There is something on "Resize" a bit further down!

Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Thank you Felis :wave: I have looked and tried, but it's a bit incomprehensible for me..unfortunately I am not very technical :blush: I will check properly in the afternoon.
Starling

Post by Starling »

Lussi05, I went back to the old Photobucket (from the new beta-version) because I couldn´t find the resizing option. :laugh:
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

You can always resize your photos in Windows Paint if you are using a PC. That is a free program that comes, standard with US PCs and also UK PCs. It's very easy to use. Just open the photo in Paint, then click on IMAGE at the menu bar at the top, then scroll down to RESIZE/SKEW and pick the percent you want to reduce or resize the photo to. Once you do, if you like what you see, then save it, if not, readjust again until you get it to the size you want. I always save as a copy so I have the original if I need it or want it for other use. :wave:
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

That's the usual way, Chimega, but it was quite handy that Photobucket had the possibility so far to resize the photos while uploading already to forum standard, without having to first do it in Paint or another program.
Whatever little I have seen of the "new" Photobucket I have not liked! I hope they either keep the old one on, or change some things completely! And I don't like that sneaky way of downgrading free accounts through the back door after making a big hullaballa about making the free accounts without limit. No good style!

aita

Post by aita »

Lussi05 wrote:I wonder if anyone knows:
Is it possible to reduce the size of the pictures in the new Photobucket, or do I have to og back to the old version?
I looked and could not find. Maybe you can, so that…
Switch back to the original Photobucket
Under username click Account settings
Albums settings
View upload options
800x600
save
And go to new Photobucket
This is clumsy, but should keep the size of the pictures.
Today was a New Photobucket different from than 2 months ago. It was the worst
(Today was my VLC window such for about 5 seconds.)
FROM NEW Photobucket
:bash: NO IT IS NOT WORKING SO :banghead:
FROM OLD Photobucket

Return to “Questions and Help”