Eagles Winter Feeding Ground 2012 - 2013

Webcams of eagles feeding during winter time
ame

Re: Eagles Winter Feeding Ground 2012 - 2013

Post by ame »

the white ring around the eyes gives it a shark-like expression on the face. :whistling:

today's picture album: http://www.mejuba.com/albums/amelo/159444/1
playlist is unnecessary because i have only one clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2aSd1H_7Oo
Manu

Post by Manu »

16:17h
ame

Post by ame »

now it is in the front page: winter eagle camera is finishing. so far it is in Estonian news but soon Liis will probably translate in English.

i think it is not quite out of order if i now quote myself. i made this post a few days ago, but right after that a flock of eagles came to the ground and i think this post was buried under those news posts. now my question below is most actual.
ame wrote:the camera will be operational over the weekend, at least that's what Renno wrote a few days ago, but the closing is near. as we can see also birds are gradually leaving the ground: there are fewer ravens and other corvids eating than there has been so far. probably they have eggs in their nests and the other parent is already incubating.

i've been thinking that before closing this Eagle Winter Feeding season it might be fun if we would look back on the season a little...

in your opinion what was the most memorable moment or event or bird or any such thing
here at the feeding ground during the season?

my most memorable bird was the Warrior Prince. :rolleyes:
it had so much personality and temperament that it seemed to fill the feeding place and dominate over other eagles though it was just a 1st winter brat. in the morning when it came here my first comment about it was something like "someone is having a fight somewhere :shock: ". and it did fight all day with everybody! :laugh: it even pushed many adult eagles away from food and they had to wait till Warrior Prince had finished.
aita

Post by aita »

aita

Post by aita »

Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Good idea, Ame!
In overall this season's highlight is the great number of rings read with help of you, dear observers and operators! That is over two times more as last year.
If to say about one thing, then Dark Rings was for me the most challenging, several times wanted to go to the hide, but as this year every visit to the hide afraid eagles, did not realize my dreams. So the Dark Rings remained secret and probably is somewhere well nesting now.
aita

Post by aita »

18.50 take wings
:wave:
ychri

Post by ychri »

ame wrote:in your opinion what was the most memorable moment or event or bird or any such thing
here at the feeding ground during the season?
good idea, the right moment to review the season.

for me the most exciting insights in the birds' behaviour concerned the ravens. of course, i like the eagles very much and i enjoyed extremely the funny look when they were walking on the ground or through the deep snow. but mostly the beautiful birds hang around in the trees or were eating, eating, eating. okay, sometimes someone picked a quarrel. and to be fair, the ravens also mostly were involved with eating, eating eating...

i thank the ones who recorded the playing, snow bathing, displaying and bold tail pulling ravens, then except in the morning i usually couldn't watch this interesting live-tv.

greetinx, yvonne
George

Post by George »

a BIG thanks to all involved in this webcam and hope to be able to join it next seson also,thanks to the zoomers,to Renno ho make the work with bringing food to the eagles and to you all ho send videos and pictures.
regards from George in Sweden
Manu

Post by Manu »

Once again a great season on winter feeding ground ended. It's time to say
THANK YOU TO
-Renno who brought the food for the eagles and others to the feeding place
-Mutikluti, Jo and Andres for your excellent zoom-work
-To all who take pictures, video's and reports
-Ame who made a great job
And to all others who are involved to this great project.
I dont have ONE moment I like, I have A LOT of great moments :D .
It was a successful season and very nice to see so many ringed and unringed eagles on place.
I like the eagle who walked like "Dark Vader" trought the snow and it was interesting to learn so much about the behaviour of the raven.
But now it's time to say goodbye and let us hope for a successful breeding season :wave: .
George

Post by George »

anyone now why the cam not can be on this place next seson????
Mutikluti

Post by Mutikluti »

I'm a bit sad...for me was this winter very busy but at the same time I enjoyed the spectacle offered by the eagles... when the eagles arrived I felt how my adrenaline rose... I had a feeling that I am in the middle of those eagles with them at Nõva. :D I had a lot of nice experiences with them... beautiful winter was...
And mystical landscapes in winter, white trees...as in fairy tale... a bit sad but...

...See you next season! :wave:
Proud to be a member of SHoW
renno

Post by renno »

George wrote:anyone now why the cam not can be on this place next seson????
This is often asked and I will tell You. This location is too close to the Nature Reserve and we don´t want to rise the impact to the wildlife on the reserve. We have been here already five winters.
George

Post by George »

thanks for the info Renno and thanks for your work on the feedingground
renno

Post by renno »

It was great season with You all!

We are most grateful to Mutikluti, Jo and Andres who operated the cam 24/7 and in March days were already very long... It was nice to read that Mutikluti is not tired and bit sad which means she like to operate the cam also in future :rolleyes: Thank You all for posting pictures and videos here and great thanks to Ame who moderated our forum.

This winter we had here 45 ringed WTEs and 31,7% of birds were ringed (probably little less because birds without rings are difficult to distinguish during days with lots of eagles). These two numbers give us total number of different WTEs during whole winter which is about 150 birds altogether! This is great because it is 10-15% of Estonian WTEs wintering population. Most of birds visited us only once or twice but several birds like B489 were here longer period.

Most of ringed birds - 23 - came from Finland, 18 were born in Estonia, 3 from Sweden and 1 from Lithuania. For me it was moving to see many birds I have ringed during last decade ("my babies" :laugh: ).

We really try to find new place to the feeder for next winter. So far You can enjoy all nest cams which soon will be opened. One small secret is about Klaara and Klaus...you will hear it in following days :rolleyes:
George

Post by George »

Renno,ho is Klaara and Klaus?
ame

Post by ame »

Klaara and Klaus are a pair of tawny owls whose nestings have been following in a few springs. :D
just a sec, i'll look up some links....
here you'll find the proceedings of previous breeding seasons: viewforum.php?f=16
George

Post by George »

Ame,thanks for the info I did not now abouth those owls
George

Post by George »

THE CAM IS NOW CLOSED AND I WILL MISS IT,THANK YOU ALL :cry:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Thanks to everyone for making this unique experience possible. It was so interesting to see the different eagles, how they acted and interacted! I have learnt a lot about WTE, but also about the ravens and other visitors!
Especially a big thanks to Renno for bringing out food and explaining! And to the zoomers - you all did a great work! And ame for her great work with collecting the ring numbers! And everyone not mentioned!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, that you will find a new place for the camera for next winter and we will be able to watch their doings again next year! Some of them we saw already last year and it is interesting to see them grow up!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection

Return to “Eagles Winter Webcams Forum”