Our Questions about Estonian Webcam Birds
Sofija1001

Lesser Spotted Eagle Questions

Post by Sofija1001 »

Does LSE cam will be open this year? :puzzled: If yes ,when? :peek:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Sofija - yes, the webcam will be linked to us soon now. Maybe today, even. We are waiting for the link on the LK main page.

Check on page one of the discussion topic and see if it is live yet.
viewtopic.php?p=32776#p32776
asteria

Post by asteria »

Question about LSE on black stork nest

Is not it too late for eggs?
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

It seems to be late, but this year also WtEs started late.
Think mostly depends egg laying on food, if male eagle brings enough food into nest then female will lay egg(s).
In general, this year is vole poor in these areas...
oliv

Post by oliv »

It was taken bloodtest (or was it feathers :puzzled: ) of Spot when he/she was ringed. It was aboute if Spot was a real LSE and which sex it was.
I wonder if we have some answer of this question and if someone have seen Spot this year. Please :bow:
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Yes, Joosep took couple of feathers during ringing and according DNA Spot was a girl (determined by Ülo).
The species is pure LSE.

Nobody informed us about seeing Spot after the realizing form Nigula shelter Oct 2009. But we let you know, if some info arrives.
oliv

Post by oliv »

Thank you so much Urmas! :bow: A GIRL! It was what I said all the time when we guessed what it was. I said girl, because she was both beautiful AND brave :headroll:
asteria

Post by asteria »

A question regarding the tragedy in Gints and Grieta's nest. As there were no traces of fight there, can it be that the predator just distracted Grieta from the nest, otherwise she would defend the chick? Even small and weak birds fight to defend their chicks by all means even when the enemy is much larger and stronger. Or maybe Grieta left the nest for a short time and it was enough to steal the chick.
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

As much as I know from communication with Ugis, there were not evidents to determine an intruder. Eagles are not well seeing in darkness, so to fight like a blind - probably it was simply best time for some other creature to act...
Starling

Post by Starling »

Hi, :wave:

Is it possible or has there been a case where LSEs have had 2 (or more) eggs and all the chicks survived? :puzzled:
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Starling, I am certainly not the expert to answer you, but I have read a few papers that suggest it is "rare." The study cited in this post viewtopic.php?p=133597#p133597 suggests that the second chick is fully as viable as the first if removed from the nest.
lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

23 July

I feel that the interference of people during ringing the chicks have harmed LSE Eha's and Koit's peaceful life. It was so nice family...
Eha 's vulnerable nature has got psyhic trauma.
Similar situation was with ospreys Ilmar and Irma yet for them it was little bit easier.
Is it possible to ask someone of experts to tell the pluses and minuses of the ringing of LSE and Ospreys?
Taking into account that the wild birds are so insecure regarding human noise and appearance disturbances in the wood near the nest - is it worth it - to ring the birds?
Not being sure that normal life of the whole family will go on?
I think that such heavy atmosphere of this situation in Eha's&Koit's nest is not contributing to the potential donations to this and similar projects.
I believe that if we want to interfere in nature to help the bird and other animal species we need not to harm them by ourselves as well, at first.
Please explain me, may be I do not undesrtand something significant. Thank you very much.
We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings dominate nature, before they have learned to control themselves. -Albert Schweitzer
I have been studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called "lower animals" versus the traits and dispositions of man. The result humiliates me. - Mark Twain
lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

I have got the answer from Urmas, thank you!

On 23.07.2013
Dear lianaliesma,
the questions you raised have been questions also for myself during 30 years, when I'm ringing eagles and black storks.
But only last years we have the possibility to see what happens after we go and ring the chicks in nests.
For sure, the individuals are different and there are different aspects more, what we are not able to see, e.g. the female LSEs take suddenly very long trips during breeding season and could be away for many hours up to many days without of any visible reason.

Think ringing itself is nothing special for birds, but the visit of nest by human is the disturbance factor.
Nest control results are the most reasonable data we can get and decide about population health. The numbers of individuals or pairs in population does not show as much as productivity for example by long living species.

So seems nest control should be a part of survey and counting of chicks in nest is not really possible without of climbing to the nest. And if we already are on nest, the ringing does not influence additionally...

For me it is the question, when to visit the nest? When it is less stressful for both chick and adults? It could be opposite...

Kind regards,Urmas
We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings dominate nature, before they have learned to control themselves. -Albert Schweitzer
I have been studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called "lower animals" versus the traits and dispositions of man. The result humiliates me. - Mark Twain
lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

To Urmas
The main plus – is that webcams help us all to watch the everyday life of the bird families – with and without interference of people. We better know the habits, thinking, emotions of birds, everything that helps them to survive in the harsh nature. better know the real nature of birds, „thinking”, emotions.
Webcam allows us without disturbing birds to gain wonderful experience and knowledge that cannot be gained in short time sitting in nature and viewing birds.
We need to make honest, clever and responsible conclusions in order not to traumatize the birds. We believe you do it in your work.
Especially from the side of those people that are careers and friends of nature. If we watch natural processes in nest we need not interfere and there is no use to criticize the Mother Nature. If disturbance is caused by people we need to show responsibility and do our best to correct the situation. We need honesty, wisdom and openness to evaluate plusses and minuses.Thus careers and friends of nature gain moral rights and even duty to ask and receive the financial and other support from the society for projects of environment protection. Such cooperation is welcomed due to the increase the results of environment protection.
As reward for such support society needs to be informed about the vulnerable behavior of wild birds and animals. There have to be projects inviting and enclosing volunteer’s activities for sake of nature.
I see now how important it is to be appropriately quiet in woods; it is not only question of ethics. Videos showing the results of people interference in environment of the birds will be very helpful. When birds female parent does not show in the nest several hours or even several days it does leave the consequences in bird’s character and further life. After such psychic trauma they will not be the same birds. In particular it can be seen in LS eagles. I find them very sensitive, subtle and even loving. Stressful situations will change the adult bird as well as eaglet.
Collecting control data about birds need to be done the most delicately. No data is worth the living bird. LSE Eha showed her subtle psyche already last year, as well as some time ago this year. The only thing what made me sad last year in this nest was seeing Kalev so much alone last year after the ringing. I knew Eha would behave similarly this year and it seems that for her it would be better if ringing would be not done in Eha´s nest.
Ringing, weight and wing data, that need personal contact with birds – could be rather exception and the decision has to be many times evaluated, we think.
WE really appreciate how much Kotkaklubi does well for the eagles and thank you for your work, Urmas. And for the possibility to watch the everyday life in the nest. But as humans we can't stop feeling quilty for Eha and Koit and little Kai as we are with them every day. As well as for other birds that are traumatized by people, even unwillingly.
Gavril

Post by Gavril »

Starling wrote:Hi, :wave:

Is it possible or has there been a case where LSEs have had 2 (or more) eggs and all the chicks survived? :puzzled:
Hello Starling! :hi: I read in the scientific literature LSES that in Western Siberia in the observed nests survive both Chicks. This applies nests mainly in the Altai region. Of course I didn't read enough about this, but this is something I learned recently. :nod:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Gavril - are you sure you talk about Lesser Spotted Eagles - Aquila pomarina? Малый подорлик
Altai mountains would be far out of their eastern range. Maybe you think of Greater Spotted Eagles - Aquila clanga - Большой подорлик
Their range is going much further to the east and they are known for having two chick broods. In the Aquila Pomarina collection you can find also Russian sources for the Greater Spotted Eagle, which looks quite similar to the Lesser Spotted Eagles
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Gavril

Post by Gavril »

Felis silvestris wrote:Gavril - are you sure you talk about Lesser Spotted Eagles - Aquila pomarina? Малый подорлик
Altai mountains would be far out of their eastern range. Maybe you think of Greater Spotted Eagles - Aquila clanga - Большой подорлик
Their range is going much further to the east and they are known for having two chick broods. In the Aquila Pomarina collection you can find also Russian sources for the Greater Spotted Eagle, which looks quite similar to the Lesser Spotted Eagles
:hi: Sorry!!! :blush: You are right, Felis Silvestris! It is about the Aquila clanga. :nod: I found this information. But it is in Russian. http://rrrcn.ru/ru/archives/10052
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

viewtopic.php?p=269981#p269981

There is an English translation of the page too! :wave:
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection

Return to “Expert Answers”