Add a Link or an Article

A White-tailed Eagle Database Project

Moderator: maertha/felis silvestris

Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Re: Add a Link or an Article

Post by Felis silvestris »

White-tailed Sea Eagles (Haliaeetus albicilla) defend small home ranges in north-east Germany throughout the year
by Oliver Krone, Mirjam Nadjafzadeh, Anne Berger

Received: 10 May 2012 / Revised: 5 March 2013 / Accepted: 12 March 2013

Published online April 16, 2013 in Journal of Ornithology, not yet available as paper edition (I guess in one of the next issues)
Available through Springer Link

Keywords: Intraspecific conflict Territorial behaviour Satellite telemetry Home range estimators
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
maertha

Post by maertha »

Thanks for the link. I´ll add it soon.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

A tree with a WTE nest felled in Scotland

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-t ... l-22872502

:slap: Whatever next ?
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
maertha

Post by maertha »

Thank you, macdoum!
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Genetic structure and phylogeography of a European flagship species, the white-tailed sea eagle Haliaeetus albicilla by Tobias Langguth, Ann-Christin Honnen, Frank Hailer, Tadeusz Mizera, Stefan Skoric, Ülo Väli, Frank E Zachos

in: Journal of Avian Biology 44.2013,3: 263–271
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

maertha

Post by maertha »

Thanks!
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Breeding season diets of sympatric White-tailed Eagles and Golden Eagles in Scotland: no evidence for competitive effects

in: Bird Study, Volume 60, Issue 1, 2013 p. 67-76

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1 ... nofKhBoW0I

maertha

Post by maertha »

Thank you!
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Poisining of birds of prey;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-t ... l-25455234

News of WTE also.
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
maertha

Post by maertha »

Hi macdoum. Sad news, but thank you for sharing it! More information on the destroyed nest which is mentioned in the article is here in the database/WtE in the Media/document 86. viewtopic.php?f=46&t=538&start=80
ame

Post by ame »

i made translations which i later replaced with summaries of the two Finnish articles to which maertha has linked here:
viewtopic.php?p=288437#p288437

the first article by Juha Aro was published on the webpage of a Pori-based newpaper Satakunnan Kansa on 12 Dec 2013 19:20 and updated 13 Dec 2012 05:23.

This article reports that a nest tree of WTEs was felled together with all other tall trees around it in an area where a wind farm is planned to be built by Saba Wind company in Viasvesi, Pori in SW Finland. Jouko Högmander of the Working group for WTEs in WWF Finland says that it seems that someone wanted to make it certain that WTEs will not return to breed at this site.

The felling of the nest tree is reported to police as damaging nest trees of eagles in an offense of nature protection laws in Finland. WWF Finland has no knowledge who may be responsible of the felling of the trees. Cristoffer Wiik, the country manager of the Saba Wind company says that the company has nothing to do with the incidence.

The picture in the article shows the two eaglets which grew last summer in Viasvesi in the nest which was now destroyed. [The origin of the picture is not cited in the article but presumably it was taken by the ringers of the WTE working group of WWF Finland. the same picture is in the article on the WWF website.]

i made a Google-based map showing the location of the proposed wind farm.
ame

Post by ame »

the second article to which maertha linked in her post (viewtopic.php?p=288437#p288437)
was in the domestic webnews of YLE, the Finnish broadcasting company, on 13 Dec 2013 13:11, updated 13 Dec 2013 13:20 with the title:
"WWF demands rejecting of wind farm plans in Pori"

After a nest tree of WTEs was cut down in the area of a proposed wind farm WWF Finland demands that the plans for the wind farm should be rejected or the approval of the plans should be postponed for five years for getting the required information of the needs a threatened species such as the WTE in its breeding area. In the opinion of the WWF Finland a delay is needed to see whether WTEs will settle to breed again in the wind farm area or in its vicinity. It is known that the proposed wind farm is situated in the core area of WTE’s territory, says Jouko Högmander, special designer of the Working group for WTEs in WWF Finland.

One of the eaglets born last summer in the Jakkuvärkki- nest was equipped with a satellite transmitter. The eaglet was equipped with the satellite tracking device in order to get information about where the eagles move after fledging. This information is needed in the evaluation of the wind farm plans before the construction can be approved by the authorities.

YLE news repeats the statements of WWF that it has no knowledge who has done the logging and that of Saba Tuuli Oy, the company which is planning the building of the wind farm, that they have nothing to do with the incidence.

On the webpage of WWF Finland there is also a long and thorough article about this case, published on Dec 13 2013 (unfortunately in Finnish only):
http://wwf.fi/jarjesto/viestinta/uutise ... kia-1947.a
It seems that YLE News and the newspaper Satakunnan Kansa have used this WWF article as their source (at least partly). YLE is the Finnish Broadcasting company. Here are two clarifying details from the WWF article.
- Jakkuvärkki is the name of the area where the wind farm is planned. It is situated in the city of Pori between the city districts called Makholma, Viasvesi and Perä-Amerikka.
- The rest of the trees near the nest tree were cut down on Dec 11th 2013.
ame

Post by ame »

it seems that i have neglected the WTEs in Media- topic... :blush:
there are more news in Finnish. here's a translation to the news in viewtopic.php?p=196378#p196378

i made a resume of this article by Suvi Pärnänen in the webnews of newspaper Ilkka in Vaasa, Finland, on Wednesday 16.01.2013 with the title:
"White-tailed sea eagle made a stop-over at sickbay"

A driver of a tree-harvester found a disoriented-looking WTE hopping about in logging area and took the bird to a veterinarian. The WTE was then transported to the Wildlife shelter of Bothnia on Thursday Jan 3rd. Markku Harju, who is the director of the shelter said that the eagle looked very apathetic in the beginning. The vet’s diagnosis was concussion and the x-ray showed that no bones were broken.

The injured female WTE was x-rayed. It lay nicely on her back during the examination without sedation. Birds get confused lying on their backs which makes them calm.
On Jan 15th the eagle was moved in a larger cage and the apathy is now wiped away. The bird was trying to get air-born, waving its wings strongly. Local fishermen brought roaches and pikes to the bird.

The female WTE wore rings which showed that it was born and ringed in Öjen, Vaasa in spring 2007. About 80 pairs of WTEs breed in the Vaasa area [Quarken] nowadays.

Later on Feb 1st 2013 there was news again about this eagle lady, this time on the YLE Nature news:
viewtopic.php?p=200131#p200131

There's a video of the release on the YLE-page (http://yle.fi/uutiset/katso_video_merik ... en/6477264). Here's a summary of the text :

WTE released after being treated at wildlife shelter of Bothnia in Raippaluoto, Mustasaari [near Vaasa] for a month, from the beginning of January. The bird had become so strong that the car transporting the eagle to freedom had to stop a few times as the bird started a ‘riot’ in the car.
ame

Post by ame »

viewtopic.php?p=206956#p206956

Another unlucky WTE, this time in Sweden, reported in Norrtäljetidning 26 Feb 2013, by Grethel Hjuberger.

A short summary of the article:
An adult WTE was found flightless in Bergshamra, South of Norrtälje in Sweden. The eagle was captured and taken to veterinary’s care to Roslagstull in Stockholm. It is believed that it had injured its wing in a collision with a telecommunications mast.
ame

Post by ame »

viewtopic.php?p=207327#p207327
This news link contains articles which tell about the success story of the 40-year long WTE protection work in Finland. I'll just summarize the main points.

• The Working group for WTEs of WWF Finland was founded in 1973 to organize protective measures to save WTEs in Finland. In that time there were only about 30 breeding WTE pairs in the whole of Finland. The population suffered from environmental poisons after being first cut down by persecution, like elsewhere in Europe.

DDT and PCB-compounds were banned in the '70s and protection of birds and their territories was made more efficient with both legistlation and educational work.

One of the important things was winterfeeding of WTEs which was also started in the '70s. Tons of pork (dead pigs unsuited for human consumption) were transported to islands far out in the sea and in distant forests to ensure clean forage for eagles instead of DDT- and PCB-contaminated fish.

A turning point in the eaglet production occurred in the '80s and since that the numbers of eaglets have risen almost every year.

Nowadays it is estimated that there are about 1500 WTEs in Finland, with about 350 breeding pairs.
I'll add here a link to the WWF Finland's webpage, where there are tables of numbers of ringed WTEs in Finland:
http://wwf.fi/jarjesto/viestinta/uutise ... nna-1812.a
ame

Post by ame »

viewtopic.php?p=209140#p209140
An article by Janne Niiranen on the webnews of the newspaper Savon Sanomat 7.3.2013
A brief summary of main points in the article (which contains two photgraphs):

Ilkka Markkanen photographed a sub-adult WTE flying around the skijump tower in Puijo, Kuopio in the province of Savo in Eastern Finland. Markkanen said that the eagle still had some dark colour under its tail which was mostly white so it was not fully grown-up yet. The bird was heading towards South-East.

Pertti Renvall, the director of the Natural History Museum in Kuopio, says that WTEs do not breed in Northern-Savo but they are seen there tens of times every year, mostly in late winter- early spring time.
ame

Post by ame »

viewtopic.php?p=209912#p209912
In the first link the YLE domestic news article says that two ground-based eyewitnesses believed that they saw that a training plane of the Finnish Defence force was harassing a WTE in flight and reported the incidence to police.

The latter link reports that an inquiry was made. Satakunnan Lennoston esikuntapäällikkö everstiluutnantti Kari Partinen, the commander of Satakunnan lennosto (the flight unit to which the plane in question belongs) says that the plane was not chasing or harassing the eagle but trying to avoid collision with it.
- The Vinka-training plane is so small that a collision with a big bird such as a WTE would be very dangerous and fatal to the plane, sais Patinen.

The two-men crew of the plane said that they had observed the eagle on their front-right. They had made an S-shaped evasive manouver, first a dodge and then a turn back to keep the eagle in their sight and to make sure that it will cross paths with the plane. Then they had proceeded to their normal path.
ame

Post by ame »

viewtopic.php?p=214684#p214684
Again i'll make a short summary of this article.

New territories are gained by WTEs along the large lakes in inland Finland. Martti Raekunnas, a birdviewer from Iittala, says that in the last three winters flocks of WTEs have been seen circulating Vanajavesi-lake in March, looking for fish rejected on ice by winterfishers. the first breedings of WTEs were observed in Häme in the Southern inland of Finland in 2009.

i made a Google- based map showing where the lake Vanajavesi is.

i'll continue tomorrow from page 4.

:wave:
maertha

Post by maertha »

Hello ame :hi: Thank you for your efforts and a Happy New Year!

Translations are much appreciated, but remember that we have to respect the copyright.

If anybody wants to translate and post articles from online or print sources here, please contact first the editorial team of the newspaper/the author and ask for a written permission to publish the text on the website of the Estonian non-profit organisation Looduskalender.

In case you want to add a picture, please make also sure that the photographer will allow you to use it for free for the same purpose.
ame

Post by ame »

if it is not ok to make brief summaries of the contents of news on the 'i read in the paper NN that...'-basis then i'm afraid that the whole process of asking permissions for each article separately will be too time-consuming for me... :unsure:

i've removed the pictures now. people can see them easily in the original webpages. please tell me if i need to remove the longer 'translations' that i made.. and the other stuff... :puzzled:

Return to “The Haliaeetus Albicilla Collection”