Links to other White-Tailed Eagle (WTE) Cams

Haliaeetus albacilla nests in other countries

Moderator: Moderators

Michi

Re: Links to other White-Tailed Eagle (WTE) Cams

Post by Michi »

Hi all :hi:

17:17 h
The Male has brought something to eat. I'm not sure, what it was, may be a bigger bird.

Some hours later the prey looks still untouched.
Lucy

Post by Lucy »

Michi wrote:The Male has brought something to eat. I'm not sure, what it was, may be a bigger bird.
Some hours later the prey looks still untouched.
Hi, Michi :hi:

I also wondered what it could be. At first, I just thought it was a bird. Then I saw that for a long time the male unsuccessfully tried to pluck it, but no feathers were flying there. Moreover, the victim's skin was still intact; it was too hard and the male could not lacerate it in any way, he looked tired and helpless. Finally, he gave up, left the victim and did not try more. I doubted so that it could be a bird; after all the birds have soft skin. Maybe it was some kind of mammal? Probably rather not large rodent? :puzzled:

Do not know what it actually was. Does anyone have any idea? :unsure:

Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

I'm far from sure but my best guess is that, looking at the feet, it might be an otter. Also, otters have very dense skin/fur, which might explain the difficulties the eagles had to open it.
Michi

Post by Michi »

:hi:
I also became doubts, if the prey was a bird. In the meantime I'm sure it isn't. I guess you both are right, that it is a little mammal. But I have no idea, what kind of ...
Today the prey is still lying there, untouched.

15:04

It looks a bit, as she is interested on the prey, but ...... no, she isn't.

I wonder, if the male brings (or has brought) other kind of food :unsure:
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

March 8th

Both parents and eggs

Characteristic smudges on mom's tail
Michi

Post by Michi »

The prey, that was brought yesterday, is away!
Unfortunately I haven't seen, what the eagles have done with it.

16:36

Edit:
17:12
Fresh greenery is brought.
Lucy

Post by Lucy »

Michi wrote:The prey, that was brought yesterday, is away!
Unfortunately I haven't seen, what the eagles have done with it.
The prey was eaten by both eagles. :innocent:
I have not seen the start of that meal time, but when I opened the cam, male incubated eggs, and the female was busy eating. Probably she managed to rip the skin of yesterday's animal. When she finished eating, the eagles swapped places and the male proceeded to complete the rest of the food. Twenty minutes later he left the nest.

Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

Change at 18:25 nest time

It seems mom will stay at nest overnight
Amsel67

Post by Amsel67 »

The nest cam in Holland started today and is on, unfortunately a bit blurry picture, but I can recognize a sea eagle standing on the nest.

Oops, now I see one sitting and one standing guard. Should have eggs already??

http://www.volgdezeearend.nl/
Das Gras wächst nicht schneller, wenn man daran zieht
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

Amsel67 wrote:The nest cam in Holland started today and is on, unfortunately a bit blurry picture, but I can recognize a sea eagle standing on the nest.

Oops, now I see one sitting and one standing guard. Should have eggs already??

Under the cam to the right there's a logbook, and under today's link it says:
http://www.volgdezeearend.nl/er-was-eens-een-zeearend/

Er was eens een zeearend…

… een vrouwtje. Ze werd in 2007 geboren in de Oostvaardersplassen voor het oog van de webcamera. Zeven jaar later is ze opnieuw te volgen via de camera’s van Staatsbosbeheer. Ze heeft, samen met haar partner, een nest gebouwd in het Roggebotzand. Zo’n 40 km ten oosten van de plek waar ze werd geboren. In 2012 kreeg het stel 2 jongen, vorig jaar was er 1.

40 meter hoog
Hun nest zit bovenin een 40 meter hoge populier. Naast het nest hebben we een mast met camera geplaatst. Zonnepanelen zorgen voor de benodigde stroom. En voor verzending van de webcambeelden van nest naar het internet wordt gebruik gemaakt van het nieuwe 4G netwerk van KPN. De beschikbare bandbreedte is nog niet optimaal, maar verbetert de komende weken. Dan zijn ook de beelden scherper.

Rust rond nest
De camera’s zijn geplaatst voordat het broedseizoen begon, toen de zeearenden niet op het nest of in de omgeving waren. We hebben vooraf ook experts om advies gevraagd. Niets wijst er op dat ze iets merken van de camera’s, ze lijken zich op hun gemak voelen. Het gebied rond het nest is afgezet, om de vogels tijdens de broedtijd rust te gunnen.

Logboek
Komende maanden houden boswachters Egbert van Wijhe, Rob Boer en vrijwilliger Lammert v.d. Burgt je via dit logboek op de hoogte van het wel en wee van de zeearenden. Heb je vragen aan de boswachters? Stel ze via het reactieveld onderaan een logboekbericht. Hier kun je ook je eigen zeearendfoto’s en filmpjes met ons delen. Elke dag plaatsen we een aantal daarvan in de foto- en filmstrip op deze website. Je kunt ook reageren via Twitter. Gebruik dan #volgdezeearend De webcambeelden zijn binnen enkele dagen ook te zien via beleefdelente.nl

Het wachten begint
De boswachters zijn er klaar voor. Ook het zeearendpaar heeft het nest klaar voor een nieuwe broedpoging. En vorige week zag Lammert ze ook al paren. Dus het wachten kan beginnen: leggen ze een ei? En wordt dit jaar opnieuw een jonge zeearend geboren in het Roggebotzand? Kijk mee, volg de zeearend!
Translation by me:

Once upon a time there was a sea-eagle (WTE)...

... a female. She was born in 2007, in front of the camera in the Oostvaardersplassen. 7 Years later she can be followed again via the cameras of Staatsbosbeheer. She has, together with her mate, built a nest in Roggebotzand. About 40 km east of the place where she was born. In 2012 the pair reared 2 young, last year 1.

40 m high
The nest is located in the top of a 40 m tall poplar. Next to the nest we placed a mast with a camera. Solar panels provide the electricity needed. And for the transfer of the pictures from the nest to the internet, the new 4G network of KPN is used. The bandwidth isn't optimal yet, but will become better the coming weeks. Then the pictures will become sharper too.

Peace around the nest
The cam was placed before the breeding season began, when the WTEs weren't on or near the nest. Before that we've asked experts for advice. Nothing shows that they notice anything about the cameras, they seem relaxed. The area around the nest is closed for the public in order to give the birds peace in the breeding season.

Logs
Next months foresters Egbert van Wijhe, Rob Boer and volunteer Lammert v.d. Burgt will keep you informed, via this log, about what happens with the WTEs. Do you have questions to the foresters? Ask them via the reactionfield under the log message. Here you can also share your pics and videos of the WTEs. Every day we will place a selection of those in the strip under the cam. You can also react on Twitter. Use the tag #volgdezeearend . The webcampictures will also be on http://www.beleefdelente.nl in a couple of days.

The waiting begins
The foresters are ready. The WTEs too have prepared their nest for another breeding attempt. And last week they were observed while mating, by Lammert. So the waiting can begin: will they lay an egg? And will a new white tailed eaglet hatch at the Roggebotzand? Watch with us, follow the white tailed eagle!

---

So, to answer your question, it is possible that there already is an egg, since they mated last week. Fingers crossed!

I also read the reactions under the log, and there one of the foresters says that the cam can, and will zoom in later on, as soon as electricity and bandwidth are optimal. So the viewers will get close ups and a better view in general.
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

Some additional info on the Dutch WTE pair from http://www.volgdezeearend.nl (taken from the FAQ: http://www.volgdezeearend.nl/veelgestelde-vragen/2684/ and translated by me)
- In 2006, for the first time in centuries, white tailed eagled breeded again in The Netherlands, in the Oostvaardersplassen.
- The Netherlands have now 4 nesting areas: Oostvaardersplassen, Biesbosch, Lauwersmeer and Roggebotzand.

WTEs at Roggebotzand:
- In 2011 a nest was built, but no brood.
- In 2012 the pair breeded for the first time and 2 young were reared.
- In 2013 there was 1 young
- The male is born at Gotteskoogsee, Germany, close to the Danish border. Ringed at May 31st, 2006. Ringnumber is black Z6-red63. Has been living at Roggebotzand for 5 years now.
- The female was born and ringed at the Oostvaardersplassen in 2007. The failed breeding attempt in 2011 was another female.
- In 2013 for the first time a young bird was ringed at Roggebotzand. It got two rings; an orange to tell that the bird is from the Netherlands. On the other, two-coloured ring, there are codes and numbers which correspond to the data belonging to this bird.
Here a video from 2007, the year when this female herself was born, about 40 km away from her current nest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ2i3_AmzSU
So it is the eaglet in this above video who now, hopefully, will breed for the 3rd time and rear young of herself. She is one of the, if not THE first reared WTE in the Netherlands for centuries. A special bird with other words. The saga continues.

Best part of the story is that there never was a re-introduction program for WTEs in The Netherlands, like there was and is in Scotland and Ireland for example (although there were some studies about the possibility and effects of a proposed re-introduction). But even before those studies were finished the WTEs took things in their own talons and decided the time was fit for their comeback. The return of WTEs is just a result of natural (re-)colonisation, which to me shows that nature always knows best if and when being left alone by us humans.
Amsel67

Post by Amsel67 »

Thanks a lot Kukelke, you helped me a lot :bow:

I, today , wrote a mail to German NABU and asked if there were any Sea Eagle cams in the Northern part of Germany (Mecklenburg-Vorpommern), which is very near to Poland and Estonia.

There is a, as most of you know, nest in Denmark, one in Estonia, now one in Holland, one in Poland, so why not in Germany? To be honest, I was a bit angry, when I wrote the mail, because I cannot understand why JUST Germany wouldn't take the opportunity to set a cam near a Sea Eagle nest, which I believe does exist.

Instead of that, NABU spread the word about the Australian Sea Eagle nest, which I really admire in our late summer time, but wasn't it more important to bring people back to our own roots, and hopefully bring joy to their lives with a GERMAN nest?

I hope you all understand ;)

Once again, thank you Holland foresters for what you do
Das Gras wächst nicht schneller, wenn man daran zieht
Michi

Post by Michi »

Lucy wrote: The prey was eaten by both eagles. :innocent:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
They have done it right! :D
Great, that you have seen it, Lucy. Thank you for the good news and the pics!
Michi

Post by Michi »

Is it usual, that WTEs sleep in such position? It don't look good to me. I'm a bit in worry about this eaglelady :unsure:
20:31
Lucy

Post by Lucy »

Don't worry, Michi, this is one of the normal positions this eaglelady takes during incubation. :nod:

Female relpaced the male in incubation duty:

I'm very curious whether the female copes well enough with hunting with still the faulty leg. It is a pity that the male does not bring the food for her to the nest.
Kertugal

Post by Kertugal »

Je suis très curieux de savoir si la femelle se débrouille assez bien avec la chasse avec toujours la jambe défectueux. Il est dommage que l'homme ne fait pas la nourriture pour elle au nid.
I visit several times a day this nest and I can reassure you Lucy, the male takes care perfectly of its female and brings her preys regularly during the day; it is a very good " épou ". The female cannot go hunting, it maintains its wings when it leaves the nest

Have a nice day
Sophie
Michi

Post by Michi »

Lucy wrote::hi:
Don't worry, Michi, this is one of the normal positions this eaglelady takes during incubation. :nod:
:hi: Lucy,
Thanks for the explanation! So I could calm down :rolleyes:

Today evening the eaglelady looks quiet good. But I wonder, if her leg is still injured. Does someone know more about it?

19:41 An egg is blinking. Unfortunately the pictures are very fuzzy :blush:

Both eggs visible.
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

Both male and female on the Dutch WTE-nest now, doing nestorations. (http://www.volgdezeearend.nl/)

Yesterday photographer Rob Dekker who was in the area, took pictures of the WTE's mating at a nearby pond:

More pictures of the same mating here: http://waarneming.nl/waarneming/view/82360222
Lucy

Post by Lucy »

Kukelke wrote:Both male and female on the Dutch WTE-nest now, doing nestorations.
I managed to capture the eagles in the nest during repair works, the male bringing nest material and the female helped him to arrange it. 8-)

Beautiful photos of the mating eagles by Rob Dekker! Thanks, Kukelke! :thumbs:
Kukelke

Post by Kukelke »

Thanks for the video Lucy.

Today is a windy day on the Dutch white tailed eagle nest, but both male and female were again working with sticks and other nesting material earlier this morning.

Return to “White Tailed Eagles (WTE)”