Latvian WTE nest webcamera: Juras-Erglis 2014

White-tailed eagles in Latvia

Moderator: Moderators

Janis Kuze

Re: Latvian WTE nest webcamera: Juras-Erglis 2014

Post by Janis Kuze »

Janne+Ais wrote:What about the assumed sex of the chicks? :unsure:
The most exact method for sexing is DNA analysis, feather samples are taken for that and these chicks were not an exception. Tarsus measurements are overlapping at some extent, therefore it is not enough just with that. Analysis will be made later in the autumn and that means - no certainty at the moment.
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Liz01 wrote:I think it live a million flies in the nest.
Me, too, cannot help noticing it every now and then here and in the Danish eagle nest as well ... it is not nice, but I suppose eagles have a built-in resistance against those insects influence ... :slap:
Janne+Ais

Post by Janne+Ais »

Janis Kuze wrote: The digestive system of predators is so powerful that they dod not bother themselves with cutting it up in small pieces.
Just the same it is with dogs.
And thank you for your answer respective the sex.
lispet

Post by lispet »

I am sure that the bigger one is a female; it has inherited Lubana's impressive beak :D
ame

Post by ame »

thank you Janis for the information about the nest and the eaglets! there must be some extra time lapse between the poop shots which i saw Lubana doing and the time when the sound could be heard. the delay seemed to be about 2.5 s every time, and that would mean a much higher nest, about 30 m or so. i thought that i could use this as a physichs example from real life. :mrgreen:

i think i may be as bold to borrow you pictures of the eaglets from the Dabasdati forum(http://dabasdati.lv/forums/download/fil ... 89cabe726e).
i hope you don't mind me doing it.
this first picture must be taken looking to the South, i.e. to the left in our camera view. this is H377. is it the bigger, the Boss? did you weigh them? was there a difference in weights?

but i can't quite figure out which way this second picture is looking...? the other side? :puzzled:
sarai

Post by sarai »

How wonderful that the camera is working again! Thank you so much, Janis & Co! :loveshower:
ame

Post by ame »

kids are beginning to sleep while a parent is guarding them on the left branch. it's probably Lubana.

today's picture album: http://s561.photobucket.com/user/anmael ... 2014-06-09
playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... XrlqPECuOQ

now it's goodnight from Turku! :wave:
:offtobed:
Janis Kuze

Post by Janis Kuze »

ame wrote: i think i may be as bold to borrow you pictures of the eaglets from the Dabasdati forum.
i hope you don't mind me doing it.
this first picture must be taken looking to the South, i.e. to the left in our camera view. this is H377. is it the bigger, the Boss? did you weigh them? was there a difference in weights?
I was trying to place these pics here but struggled and finally gave up. Did not find a function of "Browse" and "attach" :blush:
H376 is the biggest one (wing length 31 cm) while 377 - the smallest (29 cm). Pictures were taken roughly from the area of middle of three branches (the right one of two white-coloured). H377 was photographed just left from the left-side branch, while H376 - just right. Both are +/- South from camera view.
No, I am not weighing the chicks.

edit: I placed two more pics in dabasdati forum with a view from nest to camera:
http://dabasdati.lv/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 291#p21291
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

good morning :hi:
both kids are still asleep :sleep:

Thank you for the wonderful pictures and information to all!
lispet

Post by lispet »

06:48 Sartas brought a nice fish. Feeding

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Sartas is in the nest and feeding the younger siblings
the older siblings alone has swallowed a fish in pieces :mrgreen:
it is a big Fish

Lubana arrives and also bring a big fish :loveshower:

now has enough food for the family:thumbs:

EDIT:Lubana came to 7:00:00 to the nest

so, i have to work :cry:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Janis Kuze wrote:
I was trying to place these pics here but struggled and finally gave up. Did not find a function of "Browse" and "attach" :blush:
H376 is the biggest one (wing length 31 cm) while 377 - the smallest (29 cm). Pictures were taken roughly from the area of middle of three branches (the right one of two white-coloured). H377 was photographed just left from the left-side branch, while H376 - just right. Both are +/- South from camera view.
No, I am not weighing the chicks.

edit: I placed two more pics in dabasdati forum with a view from nest to camera:
http://dabasdati.lv/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 291#p21291
We have no attachments here anymore, pictures need to be uploaded to a picture host like Photobucket or similar. If you don't have, I think I can offer that either Ame or I load them to our own hosters and place them here! Just let us know if necessary!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

9:18
Lubana delivered a fish and starts to feed one eaglet (the bigger one) - it was actually not a feeding, she left the fish on the nest and flew off after a couple of minutes.
ame

Post by ame »

i'll post here the new pictures which Janis has posted on the Dabasdati forum.
if i understood right these show where the camera is. the nest tree must be just outside the picture on the left. there are some aspen-leaved branches.
Vērotāja asked about this in the D-forum: is the distance between the nest and the camera so large, 15 m to 20 m?
i think it is quite possible. in fact i have thought that the separation must be rather large because the camera side is the preferred flight route of the eagles. they very seldom fly out or in on the back side of the nest, so there must be a lot of free space on the front side. after all their wing span is more than 2 m!

it seems that the camera is not very tiny. in fact it seems just the right size for great tits. if the camera is kept running in the autumn we are going to have a lot of them peeking in. :mrgreen:
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

ame wrote:i'll post here the new pictures which Janis has posted on the Dabasdati forum.
if i understood right these show where the camera is.
It is far away from the nest as the nest is not even visible in the pictures ... I suppose the pictures are taken from the nest, aren't they?
ame

Post by ame »

yes! :slap: i think you are right!

in fact that must be what Janis writes about this picture:
"Te vēl divas bildes no mazuļu gredzenošanas pasākuma - skats no ligzdas uz kameru.."

G-translator gives:
"Here are two more pictures of the pups ringing event - the view from the socket on the camera .."
the 'socket' must be nest.
so "view from the nest to the camera". :nod:
lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

Right - in the pics there is a view from the eagles' nest to the webcamera... rather far one from another... :unsure:
We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings dominate nature, before they have learned to control themselves. -Albert Schweitzer
I have been studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called "lower animals" versus the traits and dispositions of man. The result humiliates me. - Mark Twain
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Yes, socket (or also slot) is GT translation for nest.
Interesting to see, thanks to Janis and also to Ame for uploading!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Janne+Ais

Post by Janne+Ais »

lianaliesma wrote:... rather far one from another... :unsure:
Astonishing! One can hear everything, the chickens "speak".
lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

We here in Dabasdati forum have asked schoolchildren to pick the names for little eaglets, and here they are:

H376 the biggest eaglet, wind span 31 cm, this is Mākonis/ Cloud/.

H377 the smallest eaglet, wind span 29 cm, is Puķīte/Floweret/.

We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings dominate nature, before they have learned to control themselves. -Albert Schweitzer
I have been studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called "lower animals" versus the traits and dispositions of man. The result humiliates me. - Mark Twain

Return to “White-tailed Eagles”